Some cyclist give the rest of us a terrible name :/

Some cyclist give the rest of us a terrible name :/

Postby sil3nt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Apologies in advance but after a few things this morning I need to rant and let off some steam.

I ride North from Atwell to the city on my commute and this morning I came across a young guy (I am 32 so younger guy) on a White TCR just after the Mt Henry who must for all accounts figured I was trying to race him to the city because he was riding like a complete maniac. On the way under Canning Bridge he failed to slow his pace and on turning and almost hit a guy coming the other way who was forced to ride around a pedestrian, he then had the tenacity to have a go at him. Further up the path we both approached a group of 3 riders overtaking a slower rider which used up 100% of the path, instead of slowing his pace and waiting he decided he would ride on the dirt to the right of the riders which is a stupid move at the best of times but it scared the showtime out of them because he didn't even bother to announce his presence, I yelled at him but he was too immersed with the music from his iphone\mp3 player to hear me.

I just got over the whole thing crossing the road and riding (freewheeling slowly) along the footpath on the Esplanade when a guy on a mountain bike near wiped me out he rode by me so quickly and closely, I then watched as he weaved at a stupid speed past a bunch of pedestrians and straight across Howard lane without looking....

Man this kind of cycling behavior boils my blood and is half the reason why there is so much stigma about inconsiderate bike riders.

Descriptions for anyone who is interested who may witness these guys in the future.

Young Guy (Blonde Hair, White helmet, White TCR, with a black backpack and Mountain Bike shorts with a white cycling Jersey, medium build) ...
Older guy gray hair, blue mountain bike didn't get any other detail , Iphone holder on his arm, CSIRO Cycling Shorts pretty tall.

Yeah ok reading that back it could be 1 of 1000 people riding the path in the morning... we need a name and shame campaign...;)

Thanks for letting me say my piece.
Last edited by sil3nt on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
sil3nt

by BNA » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 pm

BNA

Re: Some cyclist give the rest of us a terrible name :/

Postby MyNameIsNoone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 pm

All fairly common and annoying aspects of cycling. And you may have hit upon a solution.

Maybe a new law enabling us to apply stigmata to inconsiderate or dangerous cyclcists would be a sufficient deterrent. If nothing else the bloody hands and feet would identify these idiots to the rest of us!

:wink:
MyNameIsNoone

Postby sil3nt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Hahah yeah time to Invest in a Go Pro so I don't need to use such vague descriptions.

Video and Shame ;)

*Wow only just realized that I said Stigmata instead of Stigma :) fail. Although a public Crucifixion or two may help this along a little.
sil3nt

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:53 pm

I used to have a Mitsubishi Stigma...... :P
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:35 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I used to have a Mitsubishi Stigma...... :P

Some say that they were a pretty good 4cyl car,
And that... :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Shifter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Stig's ma?

2012 Giant Trance X0
2011 GT Zaskar Carbon
2010 Malvern Star Oppy A4
Shifter

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Good rant :) It must have been the day for it.

Saw a petrol powered bike weaving between joggers, dog walkers, and the odd person off the train heading along the bike path on Joondalup Drive this arvo. He wasn't wearing a helmet to ride his home made contraption either, but at least he was "safer" on the path...not. The speed limit on that road is 70kmh and he was pulling away from me!! :shock:

My guess is he lost his license so shoved a 125cc engine on a mtb. Beware peds - you don't want this guy running into you.
moosterbounce

Postby sil3nt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am

moosterbounce wrote:Good rant :) It must have been the day for it.

Saw a petrol powered bike weaving between joggers, dog walkers, and the odd person off the train heading along the bike path on Joondalup Drive this arvo. He wasn't wearing a helmet to ride his home made contraption either, but at least he was "safer" on the path...not. The speed limit on that road is 70kmh and he was pulling away from me!! :shock:

My guess is he lost his license so shoved a 125cc engine on a mtb. Beware peds - you don't want this guy running into you.

Yeah I see that a lot when I ride south, basically anything from Thomas road down you risk running into a tattooed singlet clad unit hat wearing idiot riding a motorcross bike or the above-mentioned hackjob.

I think the best way to combat this is to have customs refuse entry to the country when Unit Hat\Rockstar wearing individuals try to re-enter our borders after holidaying in Bali or alike ;)
sil3nt

Postby HLC » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:02 pm

sil3nt wrote: Mountain Bike shorts .

says it all really.
HLC

Postby PortableDave » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 am

It makes me wonder if there is an increase in this kind of behavior with the advent of Strava, or possibly there are just more people out there.
PortableDave

Postby uglybob » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 am

PortableDave wrote:It makes me wonder if there is an increase in this kind of behavior with the advent of Strava, or possibly there are just more people out there.

:roll: half the idiots i see on bikes wouldn't have even heard of strava, let along be trying to get a KOM when doing whatever silly thing it is on the PSP / road / path.
uglybob

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:44 am

HLC wrote:

says it all really.

Please explain what is says, I ride a road bike, a mountain bike and a cross bike and use Mountain Bike Shorts because that is what I have and doesn't bother me to use them. What I am really sick of is people in cycling saying this sort of stupidity. I see stupid, dumb and often downright dangerous actions being undertaken by ALL aspects of the cycling fraternity whether they are on a junker because they lost their car license or a sleek bunch of lycra clad roadies and everything in between. Stop forcing the cliche into these debates and look at the individual.
CXCommuter

Postby sil3nt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:54 am

uglybob wrote:
PortableDave wrote:It makes me wonder if there is an increase in this kind of behavior with the advent of Strava, or possibly there are just more people out there.

:roll: half the idiots i see on bikes wouldn't have even heard of strava, let along be trying to get a KOM when doing whatever silly thing it is on the PSP / road / path.

I agree that Strava probably does make some people take risks that they ordinarily wouldn't but I also think some people just have a complete disregard for their fellow riders and pedestrians alike.
sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:59 am

CXCommuter wrote:
HLC wrote:

says it all really.

Please explain what is says, I ride a road bike, a mountain bike and a cross bike and use Mountain Bike Shorts because that is what I have and doesn't bother me to use them. What I am really sick of is people in cycling saying this sort of stupidity. I see stupid, dumb and often downright dangerous actions being undertaken by ALL aspects of the cycling fraternity whether they are on a junker because they lost their car license or a sleek bunch of lycra clad roadies and everything in between. Stop forcing the cliche into these debates and look at the individual.

Hey CX, I think HLC was just having a bit of fun I don't think it was said in any seriousness. Cycling apparel generally gives no insight into the kind of rider someone is, a mate I regularly ride with chooses to wear mountain bike shorts over the lycra sometimes out of comfort and sometimes just because he forgot to wash his bib shorts ;)
sil3nt

Postby cray- » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:23 pm

If anyone knows the courier (courier wannabe?) on the creme colored steel single speed, tell him he's a twat and needs to stop running red lights.

the streets aren;t too busy around here but it's those little things that irk drivers and then they rage out on the rest of us.
cray-

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:23 pm

cray- wrote:If anyone knows the courier (courier wannabe?) on the creme colored steel single speed, tell him he's a twat and needs to stop running red lights.

the streets aren;t too busy around here but it's those little things that irk drivers and then they rage out on the rest of us.

you should have a read on the red light discussion in the general thread :D
jaseyjase

Postby roller » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm

cray- wrote:the streets aren;t too busy around here but it's those little things that irk drivers and then they rage out on the rest of us.

has the link between motorists enacting road rage towards cyclists & cyclists being seen to run red lights ever been proven?

or is this just one of those things people make up to support their views?
roller

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:43 pm

roller wrote:has the link between motorists enacting road rage towards cyclists & cyclists being seen to run red lights ever been proven?

The only research I have come across on motorists perceptions of cyclists is this UK report from 2002. I don't think there was a suggestion of a road rage response but IIRC it highlighted the concerns motorists have about the predictability of or lack of with cyclists and hence how they may react.

Basford, Reid, Lester and Thomson (2002). Drivers’ perceptions of cyclists (TRL Report TRL549). United Kingdom: TRL Limited.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Karati » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:22 pm

I ride my bike six days a week generally and get to see my fair share of retards.

However, I have noticed recently that so many (and I'll stereotype here) 40 - 60 year old men on bikes are whiny little tarts. Endless complaints and D&Ms over the most stupid minor things. OK so I know we live in Perth and it's well known for its small minded outlook on many issues but FFS get a life.

Common sense goes both ways people!
Karati

Postby cray- » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 pm

roller wrote:
cray- wrote:the streets aren;t too busy around here but it's those little things that irk drivers and then they rage out on the rest of us.

has the link between motorists enacting road rage towards cyclists & cyclists being seen to run red lights ever been proven?

Sometimes I drive a car, sometimes I ride a bike, sometimes I walk. When I see this kind of behaviour, I get pissed and want to rage on the cyclist.

There's your study, sample size: 1.

Ignore that line if you like, I stand by the first line, the guy is a twat.

/me drops mic, walks off.
cray-

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:18 pm

roller wrote:has the link between motorists enacting road rage towards cyclists & cyclists being seen to run red lights ever been proven?

Fer christ's sake, go do a "literature" review of newspaper letters columns (both print and on line).

It's seen as #1 sin of cyclists, closely followed by "riding the wrong way up one way streets"

If there's no academic article, there's an easy one in the offing.
Thoglette

Postby roller » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Thoglette wrote:

Fer christ's sake, go do a "literature" review of newspaper letters columns (both print and on line).

It's seen as #1 sin of cyclists, closely followed by "riding the wrong way up one way streets"

If there's no academic article, there's an easy one in the offing.

i'm not blind to what the newspapers put in their papers.

but has the sin ever been shown to be the reason for a road-rage incident against a cyclist?
roller

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:28 pm

You really doubt that link Roller? Image
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby roller » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:18 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:You really doubt that link Roller? Image

i'm asking if there's any proof.

people bang on about it, but is there any proof?

does a cyclist going through a red light turn a normal person into a road raging cyclist hating beast!

if it's true, wouldn't there be heaps more road rage against cyclists?
roller

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 pm

News flash, there is PLENTY of road rage directed towards cyclists every day, trust me. And when motorists tell you every day in the media that they hate cyclists for running red etc, you're usually the second one to have been told, after they've got out from behind the wheel. There are no assumptions here.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Next

Return to Western Australia