Freo William Street Contra Flow Bike Lanes

Aushiker

Freo William Street Contra Flow Bike Lanes

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:03 pm

The City of Fremantle is considering a contra-flow bike lane in William Street, Fremantle. Roel Loopers a Fremantle local who I think considers himself the guardian of Fremantle has blogged on the proposal at http://freoview.wordpress.com/2013/03/1 ... ious-ways/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those interested there is an opportunity to share your views with Mr Loopers via his blog page. It seems he is more concerned about parking bays than anything else.

Last year I participated in four workshops on the development of Kings Square, one a so called Citizen Jury. We talked about street lay-out, parking, shared streets, etc. and it resulted in recommendations to Fremantle council by CODA architects. Imagine my surprise today to see a large sign in William Street inviting comments to a contra-flow bicycle lane along the Town Hall. Unless I have lost all my marbles and my memory is gone, I have no recollection of a contra-flow bicycle lane ever been talked about or suggested at any of the workshops and it is also not in the CODA recommendations, so why is the City now proposing something that was never part of the community consultation process?

What a bicycle lane would do is take away many parking bays at the Town Hall and I fear this could become an argument for allowing parking and traffic in Newman Court once the Kings Square development goes ahead.

I am not sure if I should laugh or cry about what goes on in at the City of Fremantle sometimes.

Andrew

Red Rider

Re: Freo William Street Contra Flow Bike Lanes

Postby Red Rider » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 pm

I went to the website the City advertised had more information about it:
http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/cityoffr ... engagement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I couldn't find anything about it. Is it just me or are things hard to find on their website in general?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Red Rider wrote:I went to the website the City advertised had more information about it:
http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/cityoffr ... engagement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I couldn't find anything about it. Is it just me or are things hard to find on their website in general?
I couldn't find anything either and I new about from the Fremantle Bug.

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:57 pm

City of Fremantle have now fixed their website issues and put the page up:
http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/cityoffr ... ycle_lanes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Submissions date has been extended until the end of March (thanks Freo). Judging by the plan it looks like the consultation date has been pushed back at least once before.

There's a drawing there. I have extreme concerns about the northbound cycle lane proposed between Parry Street and the one-way section. Just look at the layout - they are expecting traffic to left hook cyclists :shock:

I am tempted to make a submission and request that the lane be removed on this section, with cycle symbols placed in the centre of the lane to encourage cyclists to claim the lane. That would be far safer than what is proposed. Andrew, if the Fremantle BUG can organise one that would probably be a good thing too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:52 pm

wellington_street wrote:I am tempted to make a submission and request that the lane be removed on this section, with cycle symbols placed in the centre of the lane to encourage cyclists to claim the lane. That would be far safer than what is proposed. Andrew, if the Fremantle BUG can organise one that would probably be a good thing too.
I am relatively new to the BUG so not 100% sure as to what has gone before but I believe they have inputted previously on this. Anyway there is a meeting on Tuesday so will ask as to where the BUG is on this.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:07 pm

http://cockburn.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Contra-bike-lane-gets-trial-in-Fremantle/7643413/
CITY of Fremantle councillors have backed the installation of a contra flow cycle lane along William Street, saying it could improve safety for cyclists around the Kings Square area.

The city has introduced the contra flow cycle lane, to be installed as part of a trial between the High Street Mall and the Paddy Troy Mall, as an addition to the expansion of the bicycle network.

The installation would see the loss of nine car parking bays along William Street when the car parks are changed from parallel parking lots to angled parking lots to make room for the lane.

During Wednesday’s Strategic and General Services Committee meeting, councillor Sam Wainwright said it had been an “obsession” of his to get a contra flow bike lane in the area.

“The loss of carparks isn’t significant in the context,” he said.

“It is a way to address an urgent hole in our safe-cycling thinking.”

Councillors Tim Grey-Smith and Dave Coggin recounted dangerous and near-miss experiences they have had while cycling in the area and agreed something needed to be introduced around Kings Square to make the area safer.

Fremantle Society president Roel Loopers said the bike lane was a good idea, but didn’t like that it wasn’t discussed with residents.

“I think contra bike flows can be good to make it easier for cyclists to get to their destinations,” he said.

“But a contra flow bike lane was never mentioned during any of the Kings Square development community workshops and with the city now appointing an expert panel one has to wonder why they pre-empt the contra flow bike lane in William Street instead of waiting for the consultation process to finish first.

“William Street is supposed to become a shared/naked street with equal priorities for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicular traffic and in that light a contra flow bike lane might not work.”
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810