Call to improve safety for cyclists - North Fremantle

Aushiker

Call to improve safety for cyclists - North Fremantle

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:56 pm

From the Fremantle Gazette, March 19, 2013, page 5..

NORTH Fremantle activists say more needs to be done to improve cycling safety around Leighton Beach and surrounding areas to reduce the number of accidents between bicycles and cars.

A number of cyclists use Tydeman Road, Port Beach Road and Curtin Avenue to get to and from work or for daily workouts, but Leighton Action Coalition spokeswoman Sue Harrington said the layout of the roads meant cyclists had a lot to dangers to contend with.

“If you choose to cycle along these roads then you have to contend with large numbers of trucks and commuter cars,” she said.

“If you ride on the dual-use paths, then you have to be vigilant crossing driveways and slip lanes, as well as taking care around walkers and it can be frustratingly slow.”...

Fremantle Mayor Brad Pettitt said the area “was a concern”.

“Funding for these areas need to be prioritised and should be part of the State Government’s principal shared path program as they are part of a key link between Fremantle and Perth for many commuters,” he said.

“Ultimately, Fremantle is working towards linked networks of bike paths so it is safe to ride all over the city and this will be part of the new bike plan that will be out for advertising in the next couple of months.”

Andrew

hiflange

Re: Call to improve safety for cyclists - North Fremantle

Postby hiflange » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 am

Tydeman Road keeps coming up as hot spot. It's local to me so I might be biased but I reckon it could be one of the most dangerous places to cycle in Perth.

I rode the new Pearse St Link recently. I didn't even know it was there until I read about it on ACF. It creates as many problems as it solves. I mean riding Tydeman Road is one thing, but crossing anyway near Pearse St is asking for trouble. The other end is a little better but you still have to negotiate a sharp turn in a carpark and the world's most ridiculous pedestrian rail crossing maze. The southbound painted lane on Curtin Ave has bee extended (almost) to the lights at Tydeman Road recently as well.

Both these "efforts" are really fiddling around the edges of the problem.

Barnett's election promises included finishing the Leighton marshalling yards redevelopment (why on Earth wasn't this started years ago??) and finishing the PSP from Grant St to Freo. I notice that immediately following the election he began saying that he wouldn't be able to afford some of his election promises. What a surprise.

88mph

Re: Call to improve safety for cyclists - North Fremantle

Postby 88mph » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:23 pm

For such a major funneling intersection that links North/South and the huge range of traffic (cars, trucks, bikes, pedestrians), it's amazing how poor the road infrastructure here is. Can you imagine this happening in a marginal electorate?? I don't think so :)

It's sad to say, but I feel the only way we're going to see some money poured into this blackspot is after a few more accidents (lets hope not serious).

Categorically the sketchiest part of the journey from Freo to Perth.