Kwinana freeway from Cockburn to Perth - Amateur friendly?

Re: Kwinana freeway from Cockburn to Perth - Amateur friendl

Postby nickobec » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:16 pm

MarkG wrote:It was bloody cold out there this morning eh Nic.

I noticed, I was out walking my dogs at 5:15am it got down to 9C

Was planning on riding, but on that walk I realised I had not fully recovered from cold/flu thing so did not ride.

Probably ride tomorrow, then race Sunday (yes I am totally sensible ;-)

It gets colder, actually have fleecy longs, long sleeve undershirt, long sleeve wool jersey, gilet, merino beanie, scarf, full finger gloves, glove liners and shoe covers for that 2C morning
nickobec

by BNA » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:26 pm

BNA

Postby rcmkII » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:26 pm

nickobec wrote:
argybargy wrote:Personally I'd go straight to gumtree : that is where i got my current bike, and while it is not breand new, its about 1/2 the price that it cost brand new.

As long as you know what you are getting, you can get good deals buying 2nd hand, but if you buy a bike that is the wrong size, has a damaged frame or even just needs a new chain and cassette ($200 at your local LBS for Ultegra) are you really getting a bargain.

If you don't know a lot about bike fit/sizing and mechanics, you are better off buying from a bike shop that wants to keep you as a long term customer, so you get a bike that fits and that you will keep riding, getting services and upgrades from their shop.

I agree - buy your first bike new, don't overspend and when it starts wearing out learn to replace parts yourself (if you're mechanically minded) - or just flog it off second hand. Then you can go for a better quality 2nd hand bike next time around, probably for less than your first bike. Alternatively, if you're saving a fortune in petrol and mileage on the car, just splash out on a better quality *new* bike second time around.
rcmkII

Postby jlh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Just moved house so i now take the kwinana psp from raffles to the city. First ride today and agroup of 10 our so guys obviously on a training ride come past around the first overpass past the scout hall. Why do they use this side instead of the other side? At least they were generally single file except when they had to brake for a slower cyclist when there was an oncoming cyclist in the other lane.

First day an already looking for an alternate route.
jlh

Postby orbeas » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 pm

MarkG wrote:It was bloody cold out there this morning eh Nic.

rule # 5..just ask chopper he'll tell ya :lol:
orbeas

Postby nickobec » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 am

jasonlheath wrote:First ride today and agroup of 10 our so guys obviously on a training ride come past around the first overpass past the scout hall. Why do they use this side instead of the other side?.

Only 10, had a group of close 20 drop in front of me off Canning Bridge. Not happy riding at the back of a bunch I did not know, who where not communicating well, and though mainly in single column doing 35+kph, they where a few riding two abreast but at least close together. Did not react when I went past. Expect somebody to chase bloke commuting on TT bike.

Seriously, I ride that section of the PSP 3 or 4 times a week between 8 & 9am and maybe once a month do I run into a group of more than 4, and rarely do they cause problems.

I have far more problems with pedestrians on the Mount Henry to Canning Bridge section, like coming round a corner to find 6 pedestrians stopped having a chat & blocking 2/3 of the PSP with a person walking their dog and a slow moving MTB coming from the opposite direction.

Canning to Narrows on the PSP is part of the river loop, so you expect groups, as long as the ride safe and sensible I have no issues. I do have problems with the odd group who believes they own the PSP, but I am seeing less of that now than a couple of years ago.
nickobec

Postby stealthbike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Seriously, I ride that section of the PSP 3 or 4 times a week between 8 & 9am and maybe once a month do I run into a group of more than 4, and rarely do they cause problems.

I ride between 7.00 and 8.00 and have experienced many more incidents than you (see some of the other threads I started).
I gave up riding the PSPs in the mornings and now travel through Bull Creek, Manning and South Perth. I then travel into the city and up Kings Park Road into Subi to avoid the Fremantle PSP at West Perth. I find it less stressful and safer on the roads. I am only on a PSP for a short time to connect to other routes (eg over the Narrows & Mt Henry bridges) It adds just over 1 km to the journey and a couple more hills but that makes me a stronger rider, so its all good. :)
I drove to work today and couldn't help noticing how many cyclists now use the PSP between Canning and the Narrows - numbers have increased heavily - and yes I saw idiots riding two abreast at high speed. I will stick to the roads.
stealthbike

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:03 pm

I might be riding up and down the fwy path in the coming months with a job change and working out of home so training run.
If I experience that, one of a few things may happen
Air zound at full blast....
Riding large with front and rear panniers "apparently" full
Baalzamon

Previous

Return to Western Australia