Bike for a Disabled Adult?

Bike for a Disabled Adult?

Postby leguman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi fellow WA cyclists,
I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of somewhere/someone I can borrow/rent a bike (tandem or similar?) that can be used with a disabled adult?

My Dad has been diagnosed with cancer and is very unsteady, therefore can't cycle himself or hold on while on a standard tandem. While he can walk, the bike would have to be something suitable for a wheelchair bound person to ride with an able bodied person. He loves to ride and it would be good to get out and about one one of the cool clear winter days that Perth does so well.

I've looked around and I can only find information on the Cycling WA website. It seems to be focussed on cycling as a sport, rather than as a recreation activity. Another place "Therepy Focus" seems to be geared toward kids.

Any guidance/assistance would be greatly appreciated.
LM
leguman

by BNA » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:56 pm

BNA

Re: Bike for a Disabled Adult?

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:56 pm

There is a group of cyclists who are disabled who meet at the cafe at Deep Water Point every Sunday around 9am or so. A recumbent trike would most likely be a good thing for him. Lounge chair on wheels
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 pm

You might want to contact Technology Assisting Disability WA. I don't know much about them but I am familiar with their counterpart in Vic. TADVIC will help modify/construct equipment (not readily found in the marketplace) for people with disabilities (children and adults). The assoc. in WA would probably know what is around, or would be able to put you in contact with someone who would know where to find a suitable bike.

The contact details for similar organisations in all states can be found here.

Recently, Ian Davis and Scott Sullivan teamed up to ride from Brisbane to Sydney on a specially developed Greenspeed recumbent bike. The front using hand cranks and the rear leg cranks to drive the bike. The ride was a fundraiser for Motor Neurone Disease, more information can be found here and here. There is a thread somewhere on the BNA site, and an inspiring article in Ride Magazine #59, 2013 Vol. 1, pp 26-27. (sorry, online link seems broken at present).
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
coffeeandwine

Postby Lizzy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Not sure if they hire butthis mob might be able to point you in the right direction, I noticed they had a side-by-side tandem kind of thing, and a few adaptive trikes. Good luck & all the best to your dad.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby Joeblake » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:10 pm

I don't know about renting, but Greenspeed in Melbourne makes the Anura which seems to be the sort of vehicle a person with a disability could mount and dismount with less difficulty than most other things.

They can even be hooked up as a tandem

http://www.greenspeed.com.au/anura_main.html

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell
Many people feel their lifestyle has a high price, but they're quite cool with that .. as long as somebody ELSE pays the price.
Joeblake

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:35 pm

The Anura could well be the go. Greenspeed are very approachable and would help to make it work I'm sure.
There is a chap here who was an enthusiastic road bike rider. Age has taken its toll but he continues to enjoy getting out for a ride on his Anura with an electric assist in the front wheel.
Beats a Gofer any day. :D

John
John Lewis

Postby leguman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Thankyou all for your replies. I'll have a look through the links everyone has suggested. For everyone who suggested a recumbent trike - unfortunately Dad is only capalbe of being a passenger - he's not able to pedal or steer himself.

I'll call around and see what I can come up with.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Thanks again...
leguman

Postby Joeblake » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 pm

To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell
Many people feel their lifestyle has a high price, but they're quite cool with that .. as long as somebody ELSE pays the price.
Joeblake

Postby Prestige » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Try these guys http://www.dreamfit.com.au/
They do a heap for the community, and will even engineer you up something specific to your needs, if they dont have something already.
They really are a fantastic team.
Prestige

Return to Western Australia