Another passing: M.H. Jones

Another passing: M.H. Jones

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Have just been told that one of our local community has passed away, this is Milton Jones the framebuilder of the M H Jones bikes that you still see around Perth. He used to also be known by the nickname of Spike Jones but never liked this 'though I think that he had to put up with worse annoyances as a custom framebuilder.

Back in the 80's and early 90's in Perth when roadracing was booming and timetrialling, MTBs and triathlon (even Audax) events and clubs popped up we were living in the back of beyond. If you wanted a decent bike, especially if you were tall or short, there wasn't much available in Perth and framebuilders like MH Jones, Karl Wetton at Avocet Cycles and Aldo Contarino at Quantum Cycles were important to the health of our favourite pastime. Nowadays we are swamped by choice and variety in the LBSs and internet. Even when Milton went parttime in the early 00's he was still sought after for repairs and dabbled in retros and tricycles for disabled riders. Milton also has a history with the first recumbents in Perth.

He will be missed. Details of his funeral will appear in the West Australian shortly.
just4tehhalibut

by BNA » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:14 pm

BNA

Re: Another passing: M.H. Jones

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:14 pm

RIP...good guy.

Ive had the pleasure of meeting him last year, the only bloke who would help me cut and thread a new 1" steerer.

Had a good yarn at his place, met his missus, good people.

Cycling community is a poorer place without him.
jaseyjase

Postby elStado » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 am

RIP for sure. Always sad when a character of the sport dies.

I've met and dealt a lot with Aldo (AT) Quantum (bought my VWR there!). Hopefully he's gonna be around for a lot longer still as he is also a good bloke with a lot of knowledge.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby sandy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Condolences to his family,
Milton was one of the can-do genius generation.
Words cannot express how much enjoyment I get using one of the bikes he built for me nearly thirty years ago.
Cycle on Spike!
sandy

Return to Western Australia