Lifetime Frame Warranty

Rusty6149

Lifetime Frame Warranty

Postby Rusty6149 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:42 pm

I was cleaning my trusty 2008 Giant Defy 2 the other day when I noticed a small crack in the Seat Tube just at the weld point with the Seat Stays.

I have spoken to the LBS where I purchased it, and they said if I can produce the receipt it can be processed as a warranty request. Obviously the receipt is lost in the passing of time. I asked if they had a copy of the receipt, but it has apparently been archived, and it would cost me more to retrieve it from the archive than to purchase a new bike (their words not mine)..

so where does that leave me..

I have written to Giant to ask them to recommend another dealer and what the process is - but I'm not holding our very much hope.

-- Rusty

lobstermash

Re: Lifetime Frame Warranty

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:46 pm

There are more ways to prove purchase than a receipt... I'm pretty sure you are only obligated to prove that you purchased it from them rather than produce the original receipt. This could be done with bank records unless you bought it with a wad of cash...

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:59 pm

same thing happened to me. found two hairline cracks in the paint at the rear chain stay right near the BB and about an inch further away. LBS said it was a paint crack and not to worry though... and Giant didn't honor the warranty cos there was not receipt.

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Well kudos to Giant Customer Service.. I have a guy call me back 5 minutes after I emailed them.. very helpful. Suggested if the bike shop can vouch that I purchased the bike from them that warranty could be honored.

Bike shop still doesn't sound enthusiastic about it - but I'll drop it into them on Saturday and see what happens.

More on this story later..

(and wads of cash aren't really my thing - though I wish they were ;) )

-- Rusty

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:20 pm

lobstermash wrote:There are more ways to prove purchase than a receipt... I'm pretty sure you are only obligated to prove that you purchased it from them rather than produce the original receipt. This could be done with bank records unless you bought it with a wad of cash...
Under current legislation, this is correct. You need to provide proof of purchase, not an original receipt. Proof of purchase can be a copy of the original receipt (I take photos of almost all receipts these days, thermal printing doesnt last), bank statement, warranty card with retailers stamp etc. Without proof of purchase, the retailer is not obligated to do anything.

Transactions prior to 1/1/11 are covered by the Trade Practices act, I've forgotten most of what I knew about the TPA, you would have to research it.

Mind you, the lifetime warranty is a manufacturers warranty, not a statutory warranty. Which means none of the above applies in this instance.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Just an update to my original post.

I was able to provide proof of purchase in the form of a credit card statement (thanks to my wife being a hoarder).

The shop took the bike, and for 4 weeks now it has been sat at the shop, with very little progress being made. The shop tells me they have contacted Giant. Giant tells me they have not been contacted. The shop tells me they have emailed Giant, Giant tells me the emails they sent were rejected as they contained large images.

Really I am stuck between to inept parties.

Giant seem keen to help, but without the support of the dealer, they appear to be hamstrung.

I hope to bring about a conclusion this week, but I am sceptical.

Regards,

Rusty

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:41 am

To close out this story, 6 weeks after I put in my warranty claim, I am in receipt of my new frame.

There were issues lodging the claim, with room for improvement at both Giant and the LBS - but once the claim was processed Giant really came through.. upgrading the frame from the base Aluxx Defy to a Defy Advance SL frame !

Due to me upgrading the groupset to match the decent frame, and various other upgrades, the warranty has landed up costing more than the original bike ! .. but that was my choice.

Now if it will only stop raining, I can go ride it, and see what all the fuss about Carbon is really about.

--Rusty

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Wow - fantastic effort on the part of Giant. I've heard the Defy Advance is a great frame - enjoy it!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Great effort from Giant shame about the shop :( Which shop was it ?? If its not for everyones view I'd love a pm so I know who too avoid in future.

MM

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Giant customer service is awesome from my personal experience..
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

alf

Postby alf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:08 pm

MarkG wrote:Giant customer service is awesome from my personal experience..
Agreed, Just recently I had a contact switch dropper seatpost with a lot of side to side play replaced with a Reverb under warranty by Giant and Turning Point cycles in Mordi.

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi Marty,

I wouldn't normally name names, and I have had positive experiences with the shop in the past.. unfortunately not the case with a shop near the Canning River this time around.. a few days in with the new bike, and I discover the chain from the used Ultegra groupset they put on the bike is too short - a pretty basic error, and one I'm sure they will rectify (probably at my expense).

--Rusty