Cyclist down Canning hwy Alfred Cove

Cyclist down Canning hwy Alfred Cove

Postby sil3nt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:45 am

On my way to work just now saw a cyclist being loaded into the back of an Ambulance about 200m out of the North lake road and Canning hwy intersection.

Didn't see what happened and only caught a look at the bike for a second; dark carbon roadie with carbon wheels looks like it was missing it's back its wheel.

Thoughts go out to the rider hope all is ok.
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
sil3nt

by BNA » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:20 pm

BNA

Re: Cyclist down Canning hwy Alfred Cove

Postby michelle_s » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:20 pm

I saw that too. I saw the guy sitting up against the wall he looked okay. Out the front of the bowling club wasn't it?
michelle_s

Postby sil3nt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:09 am

Yep sure was. Obviously nobody on here knows the rider or assume we would have heard something about it by now.
sil3nt

Postby Rex » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:13 pm

I hope he's ok, thats a very common section for group rides heading out of Freo towards Raffles and beyond but pretty risky when riding solo.
Plenty of room along that section for the Hwy to be widened and a dedicated cycle lane added.
Rex

Postby colmando » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:48 pm

there's a perfectly good PSP along the river there... hope the guy is alright...
colmando

Postby sil3nt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:18 pm

colmando wrote:there's a perfectly good PSP along the river there... hope the guy is alright...

Yeah agreed, I ride along there 5 days a week but I have on occasions headed straight down Canning Hwy and I guess that's the risk you take.
sil3nt

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:55 pm

colmando wrote:there's a perfectly good PSP along the river there... hope the guy is alright...

If a rider wants to get to Canning Bridge reasoanbly directly he would not want to wander around the scenic Burke Drive and then around scenic Applecross waters. Canning Highway is the obvious commute route in fairness to the rider but is is not as safe as we need.

And while the path is not far from the highway at that stretch, it is the only stretch where that is so. To detour to the north to get to it and then detour back off a few hundred metres further on to get back to Canning Highway seems hardly worthwhile. It adds five hundred metres at a slower speed.

Essentially main highways are routed to reflect reasonably direct lines to where people want to go. Cyclists have a similar need, probably even more so as they have to provide the extra motive force to do so.

We really need more infrastructure that is appropriate to commuters, not just weekend sightseers. This cyclsit is a victim to it's lack.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Return to Western Australia