Short Vid Bombing Canning Mills Road

archetuthus

Short Vid Bombing Canning Mills Road

Postby archetuthus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeHJESZi-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Went out for some hill climbs and got this bit of footage. The uphill footage isn't quite as exciting.

biker jk

Re: Short Vid Bombing Canning Mills Road

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Nice. You will go faster in the drops. You were braking a fair bit as well. What top speed did you hit?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Nice, and I know the descent too! Haven't climbed it yet though - only been up Mills Road East.

My confidence for descending was improving and I was spending more time in the drops and less braking until one day I got the speed wobbles at 70km/h down Welshpool Rd. :shock: Back to square one!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:39 pm

biker jk wrote:Nice. You will go faster in the drops. You were braking a fair bit as well. What top speed did you hit?
oh yes i know this. usually i go into the drops for the downhill but was a bit more cautious this time around due to some close calls last time i went. Rather play it safe and build up my confidence. Max speed was 63km/h. Last time i got up to 71km/h

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:13 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Nice, and I know the descent too! Haven't climbed it yet though - only been up Mills Road East.

My confidence for descending was improving and I was spending more time in the drops and less braking until one day I got the speed wobbles at 70km/h down Welshpool Rd. :shock: Back to square one!
Never had speed wobbles on my Masi on any of my roadies. On a hardtail MTB years ago I got wobbles doing 60kph and didn't like it. I got no qualms shooting down Jarrahdale rd doing 80kph. Armadale Rd I know I would exceed 80kph as I've been down it before and I was braking keeping under 80!
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Never have experienced wobbles due to speed. What worries me about the vid are the side streets and driveways. Living in the sticks I sometimes forget what urban streets look like.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Great descent, isn't it? I followed some skateboarders down there a while back (you can't really see them until the end of the clip). Now that takes some balls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mjTNL7bosY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:35 pm

There must be a bogan infestation near there. Lots of their tracks visible from about 1:40. :|

On the upside, the road seems to be smooth-ish. Better than my local equivalent at Akuna Bay. :)

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Hmmm, so is the other 4WD at the bottom of the decent?

:P

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 pm

briztoon wrote:Hmmm, so is the other 4WD at the bottom of the decent?
Definately no 4wds were used in the making of this video - i could put the uphill riding in the video but its pretty slow going. Heres a link to strava for the ride - http://www.strava.com/activities/80860562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:48 pm

archetuthus wrote:
briztoon wrote:Hmmm, so is the other 4WD at the bottom of the decent?
Definately no 4wds were used in the making of this video - i could put the uphill riding in the video but its pretty slow going. Heres a link to strava for the ride - http://www.strava.com/activities/80860562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right...there was one parked just off to the side of the road where you started your ride, so just figured, you drove up in one and left the other at the bottom, to drive back up again.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Canning Mills is the best road near Perth for testing your mettle as far as downhill speeds go. I've got a strava ride that tops out at 91kmh from that descent. Not entirely convinced of its accuracy especially considering I wasn't trying to set any records. Was bloody fast though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Just one question, did you have life insurance before trying it?