Ride to Conquer Cancer

stealthbike

Ride to Conquer Cancer

Postby stealthbike » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:37 pm

I just completed the Ride to Conquer Cancer and can honestly say it is one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Everything is brilliantly organised and 1350 participants raised $5.2million - amazing!
I highly recommend it to everyone to consider as a 'must do' next year. :D
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

IncognitoMosquito

Re: Ride to Conquer Cancer

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54 pm

We had a small crew participate also and we all had a blast. Pretty slick organisation, good support and signage along the way. The food at camp was hot, tasty and plentiful. Lots of showers and dunnies which were kept reasonably clean. Nothing that they could do about the weather which was bloody ordinary on Saturday.

The only real gripe was a failure to put something over the rail crossing on Soldiers Road where we found a couple of bashed up riders. One of our team had gone down there in similar conditions a couple of weeks earlier so we were ready for it. Coming back along the Freeway PSP was pretty hairy also with the odd bollard mid-path turning up pretty quickly and also a couple of riders heading the other way who must have been a little shocked at the onslaught meeting 1300+ riders going the other way. No damage done that I saw.

All up it was a fantastic weekend and the organisers and participants should be commended - particularly those who are less fit and took to the event on mountain bikes and other less than ideal machines. Bike effort.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Ah.... so that was the mob I saw coming in the opposite direction to me along Abernethy Rd in Byford on Saturday. Was wondering what event it was.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Wags71

Postby Wags71 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Great cause well organised back next year for sure

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:17 am

I too did it this year. Small team of 3 and we are looking to expand. Already signed up again for next year.

The organisation was mind blowing. Credit to all those involved. Also to those on MTBs, fixes etc

Noodles12

Postby Noodles12 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:46 pm

I agree. I thought it was brilliantly organised and a done for a great cause! I had a fantastic time, am signing up for next year as well.
Imageurl]
Trek Domane 4.7 Giant XTC2

nirismo

Postby nirismo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:32 pm

I know it's still a fair while away but looking at doing this myself. Is there any advice or tips in leading up to this event? Being based in Brisbane was wondering if there would be anyone willing to include a newbie like myself to their side. I've known a few people who have luckied to escape the worse. Unfortunately, one of my familys close friends who used to help send 2nd hand goods to our family in Philippines lost the battle many years back. Never, hit me then, but has I got older, y'know, you start to see things. But anyways, would this event be suitable for me. Always happy to help!