Perth Bike Lockers

Perth Bike Lockers

Postby jkwashbourne » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 am

Hello!

I just relocated from California where I enjoyed a 24 km commute and we had personal enclosed bike lockers at the destination. Here my company informs me I am on the waiting list to be allowed to lock up my bike in the office building. I am wondering if there are alternatives.

One thought I have is to buy a really beefy lock and lock up the bike outside. One question I have about this is if people have bits like seats and bars and derailleurs stolen. The bike I want to lock up I brought on the plane and is a nice carbon road bike, so it may be an attractive target.

Are there any other options available? The train is a bit far from my office, so lockers there may not work. Does anyone use the elder street location ( http://www.cityofperthparking.com.au/bi ... t-car-park )? Does that fill up? What would be a contingency location if that is full?

Thanks in advance for any help,

John
jkwashbourne

by BNA » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:43 am

BNA

Re: Perth Bike Lockers

Postby archetuthus » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:43 am

on bike to work day i saw a new service about to start up in perth. go have a look at their website - http://www.bikevalet.com.au/

basically here is the idea:
BikeValet makes it easy to commute in and out of the CBD. Save time and money; gain fitness, flexibility and fun!

•Multiple bvTrucks circuit the CBD within 300m of your building, stopping at HotSpots
•Use your bvAPP, track where a truck is, ride to it and check in your bike and gear
•At the end of the working day, the entire process is reversed. Just book and collect your bike at a HotSpot and you’re on your way home!
archetuthus

Postby cray- » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:51 pm

There is definitely a market for public bike parking in the CBD. Bike racks, lockers, shower facilities, coffee, breakfast and a workshop for parts & repairs. If it was clean and secure I'd happily pay a monthly fee for the convenience as mine and many other work places have no facilities at all. Surprised no one has done it yet, maybe CBD rent is too steep to make it a viable business?

Sorry for the derailment, I can't help with your original query, bikevalet sounds interesting though not a solution for my situation.
cray-

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 pm

An American who can talk in kilometres? There is hope for humanity..
Do you enjoy talking in circles? Love arguing over silly semantics with like minded people?
Try an online forum today!
HappyHumber

Postby tomness » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:28 pm

He didn't actually say he was American. :)

Sorry I can't help with the original query.
tomness

Postby dmwill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Some buildings in the CBD have dedicated facilities - http://www.central-park.com.au/Core/Con ... t4379.aspx (I think QV1 has something similar too). Obviously only available to tenants though. I remember when Fleet cycles were in the city, they provided secure storage, showers etc for a small quarterly fee.

I often park my car at the Elder Street location when visiting clients - never really paid attention to the bike locker area there, but it looks just like the motor bike parking - fully caged off, can only get in/out with a valid ticket.

The little office at the entrance is manned most of the time too.

I'd still get a decent lock as well as another for the wheels.
dmwill

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:37 pm

Perth Arena has lots and lots of undercover bike racks - appreciate that they aren't a bike locker but they are undercover.

There are also 4 undercover bike racks at the back of the Perth City Council building - again appreciate that they aren't a bike locker, but it may give a hint to CoP to put some in.
rolandp

Postby jkwashbourne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks for the help. American born, working in the oil industry where they unhappily can mix imperial and metric units so you might have one dimension in metric and another in imperial ...

Anyway, hey dmwill, are you suggesting one u lock for the front and one for the back? Or taking the wheels off and locking to frame and something else?

Really looking forward to lots of different ways to get in to work. When I went to UC Berkeley I could ride a different way every day for a month to get the 15 k into school, with lots of hills as desired.

Thanks again!
jkwashbourne

Postby Gashead » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:34 pm

I used Elder st quite a bit before moving offices. Costs $1 per day and you can only enter the area if you have a bike, or a parking card (which you get when you park your bike), so the bike should be safe. Although I would still lock it up! I was working at QV1, so it was just a short walk to the gym for a shower and then to work. Wasn't too bad while I waited for a bike parking spot and locker with the company.

I hAd a look around at the time and that seemed to be the only real option if you worked at or near QV1.
Gashead

Postby jkwashbourne » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:49 pm

The elder st garage is great. Good choice while I wait to get into the QV1 garage.
jkwashbourne

Postby Jtio » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Archetuthus mentioned BikeValet. It’s been supporting events in Perth and regional areas the last year. The truck and its special clamping systems and modules are globally patented and seem to gained the trust of competitors with the most elite of bikes.

There’s going to be a pilot starting in the Perth CBD around April next year with a view to start launching the service mid next year. It’s a great idea as the trucks will be travelling around in circuits around the CBD. They’re planning end of trip facilities like showers, lockers and web bags. Also some add-on services like maintenance and repair and breakdown support so that sounds great. Their link is http://www.bikevalet.com.au and Facebook is Bike Valet.

It’s going to be a membership service – average costs around $5-7 a day. What do you guys think of the pricing?
Jtio

Postby jlh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Seems expensive
jlh

Postby scirocco » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 am

Jtio wrote:It’s going to be a membership service – average costs around $5-7 a day. What do you guys think of the pricing?

I would pay that if I was in a CBD building with no bike storage or showers and the $5-$7 would magically make those things appear.

However I would not pay it if the showers are 15 minutes away or I have to wait 15 minutes to use them, or if I have to wait 30 minutes at the end of the day for the truck to turn up with my bike.

The devil will be in the detail.
scirocco

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:18 pm

scirocco wrote:
Jtio wrote:It’s going to be a membership service – average costs around $5-7 a day. What do you guys think of the pricing?

I would pay that if I was in a CBD building with no bike storage or showers and the $5-$7 would magically make those things appear.

However I would not pay it if the showers are 15 minutes away or I have to wait 15 minutes to use them, or if I have to wait 30 minutes at the end of the day for the truck to turn up with my bike.

The devil will be in the detail.

You are right - the detail and how it settles down after it starts will be the test.

Obviously it will need to meet it's advertised pickup/dropoff scheduling. But where it doesn't or to give extra confidence on any given day subscribers will, I understand, have real-time tracking on an app. (The app does more though - bookings for example.)

I was not aware that it was not to be running for another year. I guess they focussed on minimal teethign issues and ironing out the hardware bugs by servicing various events as they have already started.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Return to Western Australia