Hyde Park - City of Vincent

Hyde Park - City of Vincent

Postby nachoman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:23 pm

On the front page of the local paper
Brakes put on cyclists

THE City of Vincent is taking action to reduce cyclist and pedestrian conflict along pathways in Hyde Park.

In response, councillors last week approved chicanes at all path entrances, on-path signs encouraging courteous behaviour and pole signs at trail entries prompting people to pay greater attention.

The City is also keen to establish a permanent cafe or kiosk in the grounds near Throssell Street.
nachoman

by BNA » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:49 pm

BNA

Re: Hyde Park - City of Vincent

Postby wellington_street » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:49 pm

I thought we were banned from cycling through Hyde Park already?!
wellington_street

Postby redned » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:51 pm

wellington_street wrote:I thought we were banned from cycling through Hyde Park already?!

There are "cyclist dismount" signs at the path entrances to the park.
redned

Postby wellington_street » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:40 am

So we can ride on the grass? Sweet :)
wellington_street

Postby Flighter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:47 pm

As far as I am aware, there is no by-law preventing cyclists from riding through Hyde Park; the Mayor even said as much in a newspaper article a year or so ago. I recently wrote to the City of Vioncent to confirm this, and they avoided answering the question directly, saying only that they wished it to be treated as "a pedestrian priority zone". I've no problem with this in principle, believing that it is the duty of faster moving cyclists to slow down, ring their bells (you do have one don't you?) and generally be very cautious around others. I do have a problem with the arrogant pedestrians who assume that the CYCLISTS DISMOUNT signs posted at the entrances erroneously amount to a legal basis to abuse me for slowly winding my way through the park even after giving way to them! If only a sign that said NO ABUSIVE ILL-INFORMED BABY BOOMERS PERMITTED had a legal basis.
Flighter

Postby twowheels » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:30 pm

a speed restriction on bikes through the park would be more appropriate. I'm guessing the dismount "rule" is because some riders, like some of any demographic including pedestrians, are not responsible and lack empathy. I (allegedly) coast slowly downhill from Vincent/Norfolk St to the lakes, then ride at little more than walking speed up to Glendower Street when I commute to the city.
twowheels

Postby Flighter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm

The CYCLISTS DISMOUNT signs have been replaced with ones requesting that everyone keep left, cyclists go slowly, and that everyone should behave courteously etc. The signs also have a small graphic of pedestrians and cyclists sharing the path, so hopefully all this will lead to reduced aggression.
Flighter

Return to Western Australia