Scarborough Views - Have your Say

Aushiker

Scarborough Views - Have your Say

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 pm

There is a survey on possible developments/upgrades to Scarborough at http://www.scarboroughviews.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It gives us a chance to push for better cycling infrastructure at Scarborough. Please consider completing the survey at the link.

Thanks
Andrew

dmwill

Re: Scarborough Views - Have your Say

Postby dmwill » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:00 am

Put my thoughts in a week back.

A dedicated cycle path would be nice (purely for cyclists).

Hate the current shared path, any other place is fine, but this runs though a very busy shared open space and a play ground - I've actually taken to riding through the carparks now.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:32 am

dmwill wrote:Hate the current shared path, any other place is fine, but this runs though a very busy shared open space and a play ground - I've actually taken to riding through the carparks now.
Which is what the City of Stirling encourage you to do ...

Andrew

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Aushiker wrote: Which is what the City of Stirling encourage you to do ...
I only figured that out a few weeks back when I just decided to take the road and saw the bike markings on the road - it's not that obvious IMO.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Only problem with that is the cafes hose all their rubbish including glass and vomit onto the road in the early am :(

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi,

Comments, have been noted by City of Stirling.

Fast cyclists are encouraged to use the road as the alternative path through grassed play areas is considered unsuitable for speeds above 10kph, the size of the bike markings (in accordance with MRWA guidelines) is considered too small and early morning cleaning practices will be investigated.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:07 am

citywomble wrote:the size of the bike markings (in accordance with MRWA guidelines) is considered too small
Darn right - the natural flow is into the ped zone.

What I'd like to see is my local busses terminate at scarborough (perhaps excluding peak hour) rather than 3 to 5km away (Western 43 - the 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 92 busses) and return via City Beach. It is insane that they spend ten to fifteen minutes sitting in no-mans land.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:42 pm

Article in the Stirling Times:
THE City of Stirling transferred planning control of the Scarborough redevelopment to the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority (MRA) last Thursday.
The hand-off signals the beginning of an interim planning scheme that will review development applications for the 100ha project area.

Options for the $60 million project will now be assessed by the MRA, adopting a planning framework established by the City of Stirling.

Planning Minister John Day said the State Government shared a clear vision with the City for the once thriving beachside suburb, with transferral of planning control a significant milestone in the history of Scarborough.

“While current planning provisions will apply, the MRA will have regard for the future vision in determining development applications until a new planning framework is developed,” Mr Day said.

Mayor Giovanni Italiano said the City would support the MRA and its vision for the Scarborough beachfront, stressing the importance of a successful outcome.

“It is very important that the investment by the MRA and the City of Stirling encourages further private sector investment and activation of the area to ensure that Scarborough reaches its full potential as an iconic destination nationally,” he said.

Cr Italiano said he was confident the MRA’s decisions and direction would reflect the City of Stirling’s vision for the area.

“Like the City, the MRA is taking a place-based approach to their planning to ensure their final proposal will provide the greatest benefits to build on Scarborough’s many strengths as an iconic beachfront destination.”

Scarborough MLA and Tourism Minister Liza Harvey welcomed the next step in the Scarborough revitalisation, jointly bankrolled by the State Government ($30 million) and the City of Stirling ($27.4 million).

“The interim scheme is a key milestone in the creation of a new planning framework which will help Scarborough realise its potential to be an iconic destination and one of Australia’s best beachfronts,” Mrs Harvey said.

Mr Day said community members could have their say when the draft master plan was released in coming months.

“This feedback, and the work previously completed by the City of Stirling is being considered in the development of the draft master plan that will improve public access to the beach, facilitate contemporary urban design and address community needs.”

Hopefully our feedback will make it to the 'draft master plan'.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:45 pm

This reads like it is has got to "hot" , to "hard" for the City of Stirling and a nice out has been provided. Now the State Government can take all the flack ... it has not been a good experience for the City for sometime.

I am not sure the MRA track record to date bolds well for cycling through this area ... cannot see a properly connected RSP for example, but you just never know.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:59 pm

Maybe the Scarborough MLA (aka Minister for Road Safety) will help to drive this for cyclists?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:05 am

rolandp wrote:Maybe the Scarborough MLA (aka Minister for Road Safety) will help to drive this for cyclists?
I thought she was the Minister for Car Safety; I didn't think realise we had a Minister for Road Safety :wink:. Given I am still waiting for details of a report "quoted" by the Sunday Times which I requested about a month ago I have little faith in the Minister ... either the report exists and it should have been provided (not exactly hard to email a copy) or the the acting Minister at the time, Minister Day was clearly not on top of his brief at the time and someone screwed up badly. Either way she should have responded by now.

Irrespective of what has been said about Rob Johnston, at least he got back to you within a reasonable time and tried to answer questions with some degree of commitment.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:Given I am still waiting for details of a report "quoted" by the Sunday Times which I requested about a month ago I have little faith in the Minister ... either the report exists and it should have been provided (not exactly hard to email a copy) or the the acting Minister at the time, Minister Day was clearly not on top of his brief at the time and someone screwed up badly. Either way she should have responded by now.
Looks like I spoke too soon. In the mail today from the Minister's Chief of Staff, Gary Hamley was a letter and a copy of the "report" which turns out to be four page document which was "taken from completed Critical (Serious) and Fatal Crash Advice Forums (1-18) compiled by Police at the roadside" to quote Mr Hamley.

Andrew