Dear motorist

User avatar
stealthbike
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Dear motorist

Postby stealthbike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Just visited the Cycling Central website and found this video
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/52315/video-viral-dear-motorist
It is made in the US but is very powerful in trying to communicate the vulnerability of cyclists to motorists. Worth a look and to share with both cyclists and motorists.
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Dear motorist

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:12 pm

This morning I was contemplating getting a jersey made up with "Father of 3" on the back.

Dear motorist, I want to keep fit for my children and get home safely to them every time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8566
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Dear motorist

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:46 pm

bychosis wrote:This morning I was contemplating getting a jersey made up with "Father of 3" on the back.

Dear motorist, I want to keep fit for my children and get home safely to them every time.

That would be about as futile as those Baby on Board signs they put on cars.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
HappyHumber
Posts: 4946
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: Dear motorist

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:51 pm

RonK wrote:That would be about as futile as those Baby on Board signs they put on cars.
I remember when those first started becoming 'a thing' and thinking to myself, "So how does that excuse your craptastic driving?"
- Kym
Proud to have been a regular during BNA's heyday. I'm still reachable by PM (email alerts) - dec 2016

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Dear motorist

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:18 pm

RonK wrote:
bychosis wrote:This morning I was contemplating getting a jersey made up with "Father of 3" on the back.

Dear motorist, I want to keep fit for my children and get home safely to them every time.

That would be about as futile as those Baby on Board signs they put on cars.


And from my experience working on road, those that don't see signs are the worst drivers. Putting a sign on my back wouldn't make a lick of difference to those drivers.

Wasn't likely to get a jersey made up, just the musings of a rider on a morning ride on a beautiful day and more of a coincidence that I had the thought this morning and then this video pops up.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

User avatar
mikedufty
Posts: 758
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:52 pm
Location: Western Australia, Bull Creek

Re: Dear motorist

Postby mikedufty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:37 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
RonK wrote:That would be about as futile as those Baby on Board signs they put on cars.
I remember when those first started becoming 'a thing' and thinking to myself, "So how does that excuse your craptastic driving?"


I thought they were just intended as an explanation/apology for why they are driving so slowly.

User avatar
The 2nd Womble
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Dear motorist

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:24 pm

mikedufty wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:
RonK wrote:That would be about as futile as those Baby on Board signs they put on cars.
I remember when those first started becoming 'a thing' and thinking to myself, "So how does that excuse your craptastic driving?"


I thought they were just intended as an explanation/apology for why they are driving so slowly.

Slowly? Since when does anyone with a BOB sticker drive slowly.
The entire reason for the existance of these is so the EMT crews can look for the dead toddler (when they cut the roof of what used to be a car) who's parent(s) felt needed to do 130kph on the highway shortly before they slammed into the trees after some dodgy overtaking manouver on double solids.Image
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users