Free Use Repair Stations

Free Use Repair Stations

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Outside the Cockburn Central station on the western side is a bike repair stand, track pump and tools, free to use. I'm wondering if there's any more facilities like this around Perth?

If you haven't seen this there's a public space where the road into the station loops past the pick up/drop off point westside, inside this space there's shaded areas, a kiddie fountain (free for use by overheated cyclists if you don't mind offending a few moms) and a shipping container that has been converted into the Mooba Cafe. They do an excellent coffee but also run a lockup repair stand at the other end of the container. Look for the bright yellow tower with a couple of hooks up top to prop your bike on and the pump and tools chained up below. They opened this bike facility in October I believe but somewhere I recall another one was opened in Perth earlier. Any ideas?
just4tehhalibut

by BNA » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:05 pm

BNA

Re: Free Use Repair Stations

Postby AdsPear » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Didn't know about the Cockburn one and I ride the psp past there at least once a week, will have to have a look tomorrow. There's also one at the aqualife rec centre in Vic park ( used to be called somerset pools) directly out the front doors.
AdsPear

Postby BrownBike » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:09 pm

The uwa bike club has installed one in the guild centre. Has a stand, pump, tools.
BrownBike

Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby Barge6100 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:21 am

I've noticed a new repair station installed on Albany Highway (opposite Mackie St) in Victoria Park. Large blue setup including foot pump (with pressure guage), multiple tools on lanyards (allen keys, adjustable spanners, tyre levers, multitool etc). The stand is designed to support your bike from under the top tube.
Barge6100

Postby dmwill » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Now one at Camel Farm (Kalamunda Circuit).

dmwill

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 am

Apparently they're called Tool Kiosks in the US and according to the chatter on BROL they're popping up everywhere there. As Aushiker pointed out we also have a repair stand on the Munda Bindi, it all helps.
The one pictured above isn't like the one that I saw at Cockburn, that was a Fizit so probably made by Dero in the US. I would have loved to have one of these installed in the basement next to the bike racks where I used to work, it would have really helped to encourage cycling to work. Wish that my old employer had done more about reducing sick days than just many committee meetings about it, ad nauseum.
just4tehhalibut

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:23 pm

My daughter mentioned one just last night that she saw on Saturday. I think she was talking about a spot in the hills for off-rad cylists.

From all the other posts here it looks like this is being taken up by many. Great thinking.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby petie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:01 am

There is/was one at barrack st jetty. Went over to have a look and every single one of the tools had been removed...: (
petie

Postby sarahactivated » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:51 pm

There's a bike pump in Vic Park in Centro right next to the Gloria Jeans..I've never used it but it's made an impression on me since it's the first publicly-available pump I've personally seen in Perth. We need more of those.

There aren't any tools though, which I understand would just disappear in an instant in Vic Park.
Sarah - Perth WA
sarahactivated

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Curious what the pumps are like at some of these places. I've yet to spot one myself.

Are they more capable of higher pressures (>50/60psi)? And then.. curious to see how well the rubber seals in the heads of them wear with steady use and abuse. Wondering if the heads get checked with any regularity. If they're anything like servo air-hoses, I imagine it'll be a bit hit & miss.
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Return to Western Australia