Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Tandem » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:42 pm

NASHIE wrote:
abit risky overtaking cars down Gooseberry Hill isn't it


Mmm....about as safe as trying to ride up a one way road :wink:


+1
Image
User avatar
Tandem
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Sinagra, Perth

by BNA » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am

BNA
 

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Jerryjan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am

I am an old fart only been cycling seriously for the last 3 years. I do struggle with hills and I can ride up ridge hill road then I go up the zig zags with care and then continue on to kalamunda. Sometime I go back down the zig zags, it's a great view. Sometime you see a few roos as well. I did have a read of the document, but it's very difficult to please everybody. I think I can manage with the road left as it is, but I have seen large groups of riders climbing which could be very dangerous if meeting traffic.
Jerryjan
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Perth

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Tandem wrote:
zues wrote:Anyway I think it would be great if all cyclists that use the zig zag respond to the Kalamunda feedback form. Closing the lower section of the zig zag to motorists would be great for all cyclists fast or slow.


Why don't just leave it as it is, so everybody can enjoy ( car, bicycle, motorbikes etc ) the nice scenic drive down the zig zag.

I wonder what cyclist that use the zig zag to get up to Kalamunda would say, when they would come up against a car driver on the way down.

If it is one way, that means one way for everybody.


Just to clarify, it's one-way for vehicles (including bicycles) but not for pedestrians.
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Trepidious » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:40 am

NASHIE wrote:Spent my first 25yrs in Gooseberry Hill, 3 training/racing and never once rode up the zig zag, and can't remember ever riding down.......to much fun overtaking cars down Gooseberry hill :D . Would be really disappointed if cars were ever banned from the zig zag. We drive the kids down at least once a month on return from grandads/nanna's house in the evening......Its one of Perth highlights. Bring on the annual events that close the drive for the day like Targa West, Shire Market walk, Bike race etc, but to close it for a few 'soft' bike riders :wink: would be a real shame


x2. I have climbed zig zag once in top gear with a triathlete suffering from bronchitis (hi Jeff ^_^) and it didn't do much for me. Gooseberry Hill, Hermes Road/Girrawheen Drive or Kalamunda Drive are admittedly more challenging climbs but not massively so. Speaking as someone lucky enough (or unlucky; it's wind versus hills training) to be close to the coast, why ride all the way to the hills to take an easy way up when you've got a couple of nice climbs available close by. Take the high road.
Trepidious
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Streets of Perth

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby troyww » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:46 am

I was on the Zig ZAg Rd doing a photoshoot for a Ferrari on Sunday and was staggered by the number of clowns riding up the hill . Happy to see 2 cop cars turn up and watch them have to walk their bikes up the rest of the way with their cleats on . No idea if they were fined or not but I hope so . It just makes all cyclists look like they think their above the law .
troyww
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby FIFOslacker » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:06 am

I was doing repeats of Zigzag and Gooseberry Hill Rd on Sunday, I was also a little amused to see a couple of cop cars there, I did wonder if it was a bit of overkill having two of them though.

That Ferrari was slowing me down, had to overtake it on a hairpin.....probably the only time I'll ever be able to say that!
FIFOslacker
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby alh9a5 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:24 pm

I regularly ride down the zig zag after doing mundaring weir road and am constantly baffled by people insisting on going up the wrong way. If I hit you around one of the many blind corners I'll be seeing you in court.

Do these idiots think that cyclists coming down are moving at speed? I do not push hard down there, but even coasting after powering out of the corners I'll be sitting between 35-45kph.

I personally was glad to see police there, and hope they were issuing fines. Someone is going to get seriously injured one day on the zig zag and then all bikes will probably be banned in both directions :roll:

Plenty of other avenues into the hills, and why not make that your final descent out of the hills and enjoy the beautiful views..I know I look forward to it every hill ride
alh9a5
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Bakks » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:05 pm

troyww wrote:I was on the Zig ZAg Rd doing a photoshoot for a Ferrari on Sunday and was staggered by the number of clowns riding up the hill . Happy to see 2 cop cars turn up and watch them have to walk their bikes up the rest of the way with their cleats on . No idea if they were fined or not but I hope so . It just makes all cyclists look like they think their above the law .


That's brilliant. I saw the two cop cars there on Sunday, and also had to yell at a few idiots riding up the hill. I get a bit pissy because I've crashed coming down the hill and round a corner, only to find some battler riding up.
Bakks
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Karati » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Bakks wrote:
troyww wrote:I was on the Zig ZAg Rd doing a photoshoot for a Ferrari on Sunday and was staggered by the number of clowns riding up the hill . Happy to see 2 cop cars turn up and watch them have to walk their bikes up the rest of the way with their cleats on . No idea if they were fined or not but I hope so . It just makes all cyclists look like they think their above the law .


That's brilliant. I saw the two cop cars there on Sunday, and also had to yell at a few idiots riding up the hill. I get a bit pissy because I've crashed coming down the hill and round a corner, only to find some battler riding up.


Argh...it drives me nuts riding down here. Every time there is guaranteed to be some group of nobbers riding up. You wouldn't ride up a one way street in the city (well I wouldn't anyway) so I don't see why it would be OK there.
Karati
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Clintoo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:13 pm

there is the upcoming Kalamunda 100 that closes the road and allows you to ride up it. Wait for that if you must ride up it.

https://www.bwa.org.au/events/794/
Clintoo
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:09 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Karati wrote: You wouldn't ride up a one way street in the city (well I wouldn't anyway) ....


Plenty of clowns doing just that - couriers; wannabes and PoBs, mostly.
User avatar
Thoglette
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby 446006 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:12 pm

agreed! bunch of p**sy's, just follow the road rules and ride up the correct way!
446006
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby chuckchunder » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Clintoo wrote:there is the upcoming Kalamunda 100 that closes the road and allows you to ride up it. Wait for that if you must ride up it.

https://www.bwa.org.au/events/794/


provided you ride in a group........
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you
User avatar
chuckchunder
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:18 am

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Karati » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:06 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Karati wrote: You wouldn't ride up a one way street in the city (well I wouldn't anyway) ....


Plenty of clowns doing just that - couriers; wannabes and PoBs, mostly.


True...the couriers do annoy me riding around like idiots.

In fact I have seen two cars in the past two months driving the wrong way down Hay street almost as far down as William street!!

The other night there was some absolute halfwit driving the wrong way down Morley drive!!
Karati
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Previous

Return to Western Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers