Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Re: Is it safe to climb on zig zag scenic drive kalamunda?

Postby Tandem » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:42 pm

NASHIE wrote:
abit risky overtaking cars down Gooseberry Hill isn't it

Mmm....about as safe as trying to ride up a one way road :wink:

+1
Tandem

by BNA » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am

BNA

Postby Jerryjan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am

I am an old fart only been cycling seriously for the last 3 years. I do struggle with hills and I can ride up ridge hill road then I go up the zig zags with care and then continue on to kalamunda. Sometime I go back down the zig zags, it's a great view. Sometime you see a few roos as well. I did have a read of the document, but it's very difficult to please everybody. I think I can manage with the road left as it is, but I have seen large groups of riders climbing which could be very dangerous if meeting traffic.
Jerryjan

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Tandem wrote:
zues wrote:Anyway I think it would be great if all cyclists that use the zig zag respond to the Kalamunda feedback form. Closing the lower section of the zig zag to motorists would be great for all cyclists fast or slow.

Why don't just leave it as it is, so everybody can enjoy ( car, bicycle, motorbikes etc ) the nice scenic drive down the zig zag.

I wonder what cyclist that use the zig zag to get up to Kalamunda would say, when they would come up against a car driver on the way down.

If it is one way, that means one way for everybody.

Just to clarify, it's one-way for vehicles (including bicycles) but not for pedestrians.
wellington_street

Postby Trepidious » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:40 am

NASHIE wrote:Spent my first 25yrs in Gooseberry Hill, 3 training/racing and never once rode up the zig zag, and can't remember ever riding down.......to much fun overtaking cars down Gooseberry hill :D . Would be really disappointed if cars were ever banned from the zig zag. We drive the kids down at least once a month on return from grandads/nanna's house in the evening......Its one of Perth highlights. Bring on the annual events that close the drive for the day like Targa West, Shire Market walk, Bike race etc, but to close it for a few 'soft' bike riders :wink: would be a real shame

x2. I have climbed zig zag once in top gear with a triathlete suffering from bronchitis (hi Jeff ^_^) and it didn't do much for me. Gooseberry Hill, Hermes Road/Girrawheen Drive or Kalamunda Drive are admittedly more challenging climbs but not massively so. Speaking as someone lucky enough (or unlucky; it's wind versus hills training) to be close to the coast, why ride all the way to the hills to take an easy way up when you've got a couple of nice climbs available close by. Take the high road.
Trepidious

Previous

Return to Western Australia