Late magpie season?

Late magpie season?

Postby worzel » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:46 pm

I got swooped twice on Saturday, isn't magpie season supposed to be over by now? I usually ride very early or about 5pm and never had an issue before but this was an 11am/noon ride so is that something to do with it? Second time wasn't so bad as I was going fast and out of there fairly quick but the first time was starting a steep Duncraig climb and it had several goes at me before I was able to get clear (quite an incentive to push hard!) Worst thing was, flapping my arm at it I have overstretched and done my shoulder in. :oops:
worzel

by BNA » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:59 pm

BNA

Re: Late magpie season?

Postby giantguy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:59 pm

I have experienced the same near my work place in Wangara.

It has only started happening about a week before Christmas and is so bad that I have had to get off my bike and walk. The last day of work before the Chrissie break, I left work going a different and longer way to avoid them. I found out that I was being swooped by not one but two birds in the same area.

This year seems unusual for the maggies, last year I had no attacks near my workplace but this year it has been different. Even back in late November I got swooped riding down Ocean Reef road between Hartman and Wanneroo road, its an industrial area with only a few trees. It surprised me a lot as its an area with a lot of traffic passing you at 80kmh and difficult trying to keep a straight line with a maggie try to peck you.
giantguy

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:23 pm

If it's been a good growing season for the fledgelings then two and sometimes three clutches per season are possible. Our local warblers presented their second group of grey fuzzballs to us just before Xmas. That's about 7-8 generations now :D

Make friends with your locals, they'll leave you alone (and serenade you morning and evening) 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby wexford » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Worzel, was this at MacAulay Park next to the freeway by any chance?
https://maps.google.com/?ll=-31.828483,115.786629&spn=0.003414,0.004801&t=h&z=18

I got swiped twice there on Christmas Day - once on my way to visit the family, and then again on the way home! Persistent bugger, too, I was waving my arm around and he treated it as a secondary target!

I didn't know about multiple clutches in a season. That could explain why this guy has been at it for as long.
wexford

Postby worzel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:40 pm

wexford wrote:Worzel, was this at MacAulay Park next to the freeway by any chance?
https://maps.google.com/?ll=-31.828483,115.786629&spn=0.003414,0.004801&t=h&z=18

Not exactly sure, but that looks about right. I was going southbound and it was as I was coming out of a park area and with a climb (but not the biggest Duncraig climb) about to start. I think it had about 6 goes at me before I was far enough away and no amount of arm waving was detering it. Spooky the way it just seemed to hover above my right shoulder before launching the next dive bomb. My next ride through there will probably be about 6.30am early next week so possible tactics include hoping he is still asleep, finding someone to tag onto as a decoy and quickly veering off to the wrong side of the road.
worzel

Postby Tornado » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Got swooped Saturday morning. Wasn't expecting that. I thought it would have been over too.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3
Tornado

Postby dmwill » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:13 pm

wexford wrote:Worzel, was this at MacAulay Park next to the freeway by any chance?

Went riding with my brother through that very spot back in late September, bother got several hits by a pretty violent maggie. Wonder if it's the same one? Could contact the council perhaps?

Been past there several times since without issue though.
dmwill

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:31 pm

26degC on New Years Day, such a late wet winter into Spring, and now a perfect Spring day early in summer. I just noticed a new large baby having an assisted feed with a magpie family on patrol through our front yard.
eldavo

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm

It isn't uncommon to get a late season in Perth, Macrae Rd in Applecross used to always do it for me. Just came back from VIC and SA where they also are suffering.

At least these are maggies and not butcherbirds, vicious little things with a hook in the tip of the beak. Or Red Wattlebirds that have a penchant for actually colliding with the side of your helmet. Or bats, how many of these did I get hit by last year? Freakin' things.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Yeah, Wattlebirds have zero redeeming features, they don't even sound nice.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby worzel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:24 am

I had my first ride through the area for a couple of weeks this morning (about 6.30) and was swoop-free. I did push as hard as I could through the area though, just in case and set a new PB for that section so its not all bad!
worzel

Return to Western Australia