current situation Roe St cycle path

twowheels

current situation Roe St cycle path

Postby twowheels » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:30 am

G'day, what is the current situation with the cycle path (PSP) southside of Roe Street between Barrack St and City West station via Perth Arena? notice the temporary bus station on south side of Roe St a few days ago.

Also, does any Department/organization provide updates on cycle path detours/re-routes? thanks

rolandp

Re: current situation Roe St cycle path

Postby rolandp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:17 am

Main Roads provide a weekly update which has information on Roe St PSP and other cycle paths in the Perth CBD:
https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/UsingRo ... jects.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Thx for link. Travelling east to west, path now turns left (south) at about the Chinatown Lion Gate or Lake St. The path goes over what seems to be a sloped roof (of rail underground), then continues to the temporary maze ramp which sets you down at the east side of the Arena. Found out that not necessary to go to Wellington St south side of Arena any longer, the path now connected to North side - sweet.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:16 pm

What do you think about the new traffic calming at the "Chinatown" entrance. CoPerth/MRA painted large red circles of various sizes on the road. Car drivers are unsure what that means, and slow down (at least this morning). Must be the cheapest way to drop car speeds.....
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 pm

I was wondering what on earth that was about! (and still am)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Maybe it's the Year of the Red Bubble.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:36 pm

This area seems to be working fairly well during commuting hours, with my only grumble being waiting to turn right onto the Roe St PSP (from the tunnel roof area) and cyclists on my right not signalling that they're turning left. So I'm waiting...waiting...and for nothing. But it's pretty minor. The path is clearly marked, you know where the traffic is coming from (if you read the markings), I'm pretty happy with it.

Having also used the bus station there, that's well built as well. Nice piece of work all around.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Sorry for the dumb question. Just moved to Maylands and just started riding again. When I ride into East Perth I can either go over the footbridge at Claisbrook or go around and on to Lord St. I work at Princess Margaret, coffee at Station Sq in Subi each morning (Louis baxter). Don't seem to be able to get myself past the mess around the new station works.

Could a regular rider draw me a mud map to get me through Perth or Northbridge and onto the path at the rear of the Arena please.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:17 pm

go over the Claisebrook footbridge, then keep following the path straight on, cross Beaufort and William, go past the new bus terminal (all straight on), then look for a gap in the fence and a path that goes over the tunnel casing and then on to the arena. Depending on what is happening there, go behind or the front of the arena, and you are on you way to Subiaco.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:14 pm

CycleSnail wrote:go over the Claisebrook footbridge, then keep following the path straight on, cross Beaufort and William, go past the new bus terminal (all straight on), then look for a gap in the fence and a path that goes over the tunnel casing and then on to the arena. Depending on what is happening there, go behind or the front of the arena, and you are on you way to Subiaco.
Thanks... I went straight on up Roe to Thomas. Another test run on Sunday coming up :)
Gordon

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:46 pm

flashpixx, if you would rather avoid the area you can leave the PSP just after you pass under Lord Street and cycle along Aberdeen Street (sealed shoulders most of the way), then onto the Mitchell PSP as far as Loftus Street, then down Loftus Street to PMH (or onto the Fremantle PSP into Subi Square).

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:35 am

From Market St to Beaufort St.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:29 pm

roland, when you rode through, could you see any reason for the path behind the Arena to be closed? It seems counter productive to me, to close it when events are on, as it makes cyclists join the swarm of pedestrians out the front of the Arena. Surely it would be far better for us to go around the back and minimise those conflicts.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks rolandp and wellington_street. I would have preferred audio roland... so I can hear you swear at pedestrians ;-)

Will give them both a try, tho I do like the Aberdeen St route on initial impression.
Gordon

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Jeeze... that route sure looks like "fun" roland... I imagine you'd end up pretty freaking good at track standing if you ride through that many pedestrians regularly!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:20 pm

wellington_street wrote:flashpixx, if you would rather avoid the area you can leave the PSP just after you pass under Lord Street and cycle along Aberdeen Street (sealed shoulders most of the way), then onto the Mitchell PSP as far as Loftus Street, then down Loftus Street to PMH (or onto the Fremantle PSP into Subi Square).
Thanks for this suggestion. Have been using it off and on, apologies for the tardy reply :D
Gordon

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:01 pm

No worries at all flashpixx, glad to be of help.

ikm

Postby ikm » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Interesting video, thanks. Glad I don't have to commute that way.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:38 pm

The Roe St shared path between the Horseshoe Bridge and the temporary busport has been a mess for the past month due to construction of Yagan Square etc

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:29 pm

Surely dismounting will take up more space through that narrow gap :/

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Rode this way twice yesterday, bit tight in peak hour at 530pm, bikes and pedestrians in both directions having to squeeze in. Not sure what the path was closed for ?

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Haven't cycled this way for about a month, Roe St shared path blocked this afternoon

Could not see any detour or advance warning signage on the approach.
Last edited by nachoman on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:23 pm

If you turn right at that blockage a small path comes off on the left and takes you to the pedestrian crossing.
I go through there twice a week and the path detours change on a weekly basis.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks, I totally missed the detour when I rode past coming from Wellington St. I didn't see any signage on the western approach of Roe St. I tweeted MRA and they were kind enough to respond:

"This detour is part of #YaganSquare works. We are having the signage fixed, thanks for letting us know "