Missed Connections

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Missed Connections

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Blatantly stole the idea from another thread, but i liked the idea that we could be riding past/with fellow BNA members without even realising!

My commutes are normally Mon/Wed

6-7am Mirrabooka ave > flinders > charles st > city/central park.

Most mornings i pass the same guy on a roadie, usually wearing 'Jaggad' shorts who seems to run the same route as me,
I dont say hi as you've usually got earphones in, so if you're a member...then hi!

4-5pm City/central park > fitzgerald > alexander dve > grande prom > yirrigan > northwood > mirrabooka ave

Dont see as many regulars on my way home

WarbyD
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby WarbyD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Ha.. not a bad idea.. I see a few regulars on the first half of my commute, but then tune out for a large part of it as I see alot of people in general due to being almost entirely PSP... anyway..

0515-0545 I leave Aubin Grove, jump on the Kwinana PSP northbound from Gibbs Rd and then either follow it up to Mount St Overpass, over to St George's Tce and down to Hill St/Adelaide Tce intersection OR I jump off at the Narrows and follow the river to Graham Farmer Fwy, over the bridge there and back to Hay St, then up Hay St to Hill St.

1545 - 1630 I go down Hill St, generally go through/over Langley Park to the river and over to the Causeway (not sure why I don't just go down Adelaide Tce...), then follow the river to Kwinana Fwy PSP and south to exit it again at Gibbs Rd.

archetuthus
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Missed Connections

Postby archetuthus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:39 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Blatantly stole the idea from another thread, but i liked the idea that we could be riding past/with fellow BNA members without even realising!

My commutes are normally Mon/Wed

6-7am Mirrabooka ave > flinders > charles st > city/central park.

Most mornings i pass the same guy on a roadie, usually wearing 'Jaggad' shorts who seems to run the same route as me,
I dont say hi as you've usually got earphones in, so if you're a member...then hi!

4-5pm City/central park > fitzgerald > alexander dve > grande prom > yirrigan > northwood > mirrabooka ave

Dont see as many regulars on my way home



What's the route you described like at that time in the morning? I would ride the same way but not a fan of charles st. Im just off mirrabooka ave after beach. so for me usually in the morning i got down beach rd > erindale > PSP > Perth - Makes the journey longer but i dont mind the extra kms.

Home = City > PSP > Reid Hwy > Mirrabooka Ave.
or for some more kms - City > PSP > Hepburn > Mirrabooka

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 am

archetuthus wrote:What's the route you described like at that time in the morning? I would ride the same way but not a fan of charles st. Im just off mirrabooka ave after beach. so for me usually in the morning i got down beach rd > erindale > PSP > Perth - Makes the journey longer but i dont mind the extra kms.


by the time i get to charles its about 6.30, just pre-peak id say, most cars/busses pass with ample space, but you do get the occasional shave.

its not empty but i wouldnt say busy.

jeffh
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jeffh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 am

Nice promotion JJ ... but you don't have to be a BNA blogger to be gregarious. i say hi to everyone i overtake earbuds or not they usually hear and i almost always get a cheerful greeting for my trouble. Of course v few except Colin can i say hi to by name!
I get a hi back from most, except triathletes naturally as they seem to be devoid of facial expression/outward communication indicators. :shock:

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:07 am

jeffh wrote:... but you don't have to be a BNA blogger to be gregarious. i say hi to everyone i overtake earbuds or not they usually hear and i almost always get a cheerful greeting for my trouble


oh i agree, i always looks to give my fellow cyclist a gday nod :wink:

was more about if we happen to be passing/riding with a fellow BNAer and not even realise!

WarbyD
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby WarbyD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:35 am

jeffh wrote:... Of course v few except Colin can i say hi to by name! ...


I sometimes wonder just how many "Hi Colin!" "Morning Colin!" etc Colin gets each day lol.. probably the most easily recognisable commuter in Perth :P

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 5738
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:01 am

WarbyD wrote:
jeffh wrote:... Of course v few except Colin can i say hi to by name! ...


I sometimes wonder just how many "Hi Colin!" "Morning Colin!" etc Colin gets each day lol.. probably the most easily recognisable commuter in Perth :P


Plenty. To my chagrin I seldom know if we are acquainted or you guys just know the name of the crazy guy on the unicycle. But I try my best to manage an acknowledging shout before you guys disappear into the distance.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
RobertFrith
Posts: 1623
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Missed Connections

Postby RobertFrith » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:14 am

I first met Aushiker passing him going up Pt Walter hill. He had his username embroidered (just embroidered, not emblazoned mind you :-) ) on the back of his jersey - very considerate! Had a few good rides and chats with him since then.
Image

Aj_clark
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:22 am

Missed Connections

Postby Aj_clark » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:22 am

jaseyjase wrote:Blatantly stole the idea from another thread, but i liked the idea that we could be riding past/with fellow BNA members without even realising!

My commutes are normally Mon/Wed

6-7am Mirrabooka ave > flinders > charles st > city/central park.

Most mornings i pass the same guy on a roadie, usually wearing 'Jaggad' shorts who seems to run the same route as me,
I dont say hi as you've usually got earphones in, so if you're a member...then hi!

4-5pm City/central park > fitzgerald > alexander dve > grande prom > yirrigan > northwood > mirrabooka ave

Dont see as many regulars on my way home


I ride down mirabooka to wanneroo (nullamara) from Hepburn Ave a few days a week (from Landsdale to Osborne park).

I'm on a white giant, what do you ride? I don't often see many other commuters on the way to work, but I've had a couple of great rides home that way with a guy on a black roadie (I'm sure that narrows it down... But he did give me a compliment after a particularly hard ride, so if you're on here, thanks!).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:35 am

Aj_clark wrote:
I ride down mirabooka to wanneroo (nullamara) from Hepburn Ave a few days a week (from Landsdale to Osborne park).

I'm on a white giant, what do you ride? I don't often see many other commuters on the way to work, but I've had a couple of great rides home that way with a guy on a black roadie (I'm sure that narrows it down... But he did give me a compliment after a particularly hard ride, so if you're on here, thanks!).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


1988 Black cannondale SS, what time do you commute? i have seen a few giants now and then but usually when im driving to work at about 730

when i commute im probably on mirrabooka around 6.15?

Aj_clark
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Missed Connections

Postby Aj_clark » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:41 am

jaseyjase wrote:
Aj_clark wrote:
I ride down mirabooka to wanneroo (nullamara) from Hepburn Ave a few days a week (from Landsdale to Osborne park).

I'm on a white giant, what do you ride? I don't often see many other commuters on the way to work, but I've had a couple of great rides home that way with a guy on a black roadie (I'm sure that narrows it down... But he did give me a compliment after a particularly hard ride, so if you're on here, thanks!).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


1988 Black cannondale SS, what time do you commute? i have seen a few giants now and then but usually when im driving to work at about 730

when i commute im probably on mirrabooka around 6.15?


I'm normally on mirabooka / Hepburn by about 6:10/15. I have a blue 'black wolf' backpack and I normally wear a lime green (logo-less) top. As of yesterday it has a blue stripe on the rear tyre sidewall too.

I'll keep my eye out for your cannondale!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cray-
Posts: 921
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: SOR.perth.au

Re: Missed Connections

Postby cray- » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:34 pm

jeffh wrote:I get a hi back from most, except triathletes naturally as they seem to be devoid of facial expression/outward communication indicators. :shock:

Very true, I always give the nod to other riders but if I see tri-bars I don't bother anymore, they're generally too busy trying to pretzel themselves into their own backsides to bother with pleasantries. Or maybe I'm just being a bike snob.

I would suggest looking out for a munga special "Steal is real" jersey but I don't ride often enough so my fat guts no longer fit into it. =[

jeffh
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jeffh » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Well for the record i'm on a

Red Wilier Triestina, or

Oppy C7 in the Genesys team colours (burnt orange/black)

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:03 am

This morning

Down flinders just after morley dr.

Duder on a silver/blue TCR, black shorts and giant jersey, black backpack. Only to get to work and park a few spots next to me in the central park bike locker!

gday! (again)

alh9a5
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby alh9a5 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:26 pm

I'm on Flinders too, usually around 8:30am and 5:30pm heading to and from West Leederville. I ride a black Scott CR1 or white Scott S20 with mudguards if its raining :D

If you spot me say G'day, its Adam btw

SquareWheels
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 am
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Missed Connections

Postby SquareWheels » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Plenty. To my chagrin I seldom know if we are acquainted or you guys just know the name of the crazy guy on the unicycle. But I try my best to manage an acknowledging shout before you guys disappear into the distance.


I rode past you yesterday and flashed a Hi and a wave your way (you gave a shout out back - although I did have the dreaded earbuds in :oops: ). You were just walking the unicycle down the ramp at the northern end of Selway. We have chatted once before (quite a few months ago mind you). I am on a white oppy and had an orange jersey on.

I actually got about 2-3km down the road and thought "bugger I should have checked and made sure he hadn't flatted or something" From there I was hoping to not see a post today saying "thanks for not stopping to help jerk"

Cheers

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 5738
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:19 am

SquareWheels wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Plenty. To my chagrin I seldom know if we are acquainted or you guys just know the name of the crazy guy on the unicycle. But I try my best to manage an acknowledging shout before you guys disappear into the distance.


I rode past you yesterday and flashed a Hi and a wave your way (you gave a shout out back - although I did have the dreaded earbuds in :oops: ). You were just walking the unicycle down the ramp at the northern end of Selway. We have chatted once before (quite a few months ago mind you). I am on a white oppy and had an orange jersey on.

I actually got about 2-3km down the road and thought "bugger I should have checked and made sure he hadn't flatted or something" From there I was hoping to not see a post today saying "thanks for not stopping to help jerk"

Cheers

No, no gear failures lately though I do hop off every few kms to fluff up the seat padding or adjust my undercarriage, shove the cold weather gear in the back pack etc.

Selway - I am guessing if I was walking it that it was arvo and I had a wait at crossing Cranford. Not often I get held up there.

That spot when heading out of it and across Cranford is the part of my commute that I dislike the most. It is quite awkward to turn out of the ramp onto the road watching and adjusting for traffic without looking like a total newb. Having done it a couple of thousand times already I don't figure on ever working it out. :oops:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

Dirty32
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:56 pm

I come down Walter Road, onto Longroyd St, touch on Walcott and them come straight down William St into the city a few mornings a week.
Start off ~ 7am. Ride home pretty much the same way (but cut through Northbridge) at ~ 5.30pm too. Ride a white Giant TCR.

Rarely see any cyclists until I hit Roe Street and the footbridge over the railway, then I see plenty (most of whom cross on a Red Light or when pedestrians are crossing...!), much less any regulars on the same route.

Was behind a nice young lady this morning coming down William, but she turned left onto Bulwer. Wish i'd have been able to follow her a bit longer, haha!

wellington_street
Posts: 1639
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby wellington_street » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:07 pm

William Street south of Bulwer carries quite a few cyclists in the morning, maybe not quite that early tho.

Dirty32
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Missed Connections

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 am

Yeah, I do see the odd couple on William on the city side of Bulwer from time to time, but with no real regularity and rarely ever the same people... Always see plenty in and around the CBD, but again, none that really stand out regularly.

Certainly some nice bikes getting around in the CBD though. You can tell Perth is a place where people havent done too badly over the last few years.

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:44 am

This morning, passed a Commuter/hybrid dude black sorts/white tee/black backpack at dogswamp lights onto charles.

Sorry i didnt say gday mate, that little incline is a bit of a squeeze point so was a little preoccupied with traffic!

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Lovely day out in the hills today, mundaring weir loop for me.

Was solo, but did come across a few others, maybe someone here!

Guy a blu/wht ridley with cube kit

Then a fella on west swan rd on a blue rapha jersey who waved but going the opposite way

then two fellas on benara rd heading west, one dude in a white jersey, and his mate in a blue assos jersey

i was on the bmc/rapha kit if anyone was out this morning that way.

cray-
Posts: 921
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: SOR.perth.au

Re: Missed Connections

Postby cray- » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:56 am

Apologies to the guy with the nice red/grey criss cross* Ken Evans I harassed at the coffee shop this morning. I'm sure I couldn't afford it even if it was for sale, enjoy your ride.

*is there a proper name for that really common '80s paint pattern where they fade from one color ro another and add crisscross stripes?

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Missed Connections

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:41 am

cray- wrote:is there a proper name for that really common '80s paint pattern where they fade from one color ro another and add crisscross stripes?


fishnet fade?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users