Kununurra - OK for roadies?

Kununurra - OK for roadies?

Postby BrownBike » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:48 pm

So I'll be in Kununurra for 5 or 6 months. Is it worth taking a road bike up there? Enough sealed roads, or is the only long road full of road trains? I have a corbon roadie and a heavy commuter. I guess I could add a MTB to the mix but it would be good to go for long rides on the road if possible.

Your thoughts would be welcome!
BrownBike

Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

by BNA » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 am

BNA

Re: Kununurra - OK for roadies?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 am

If you look at google maps you will see that, in common with most remote WA towns, there is not much tarmac outside of town except for the highway. There appears to be a 35 km loop to the north (Ivanhoe Rd, Weaber Plain Rd) but that is about it. Victoria Highway or Great Northern Highway are certainly rideable, but they are one lane each way with not much of a shoulder. Been a long time since I was up north, but I would be surprised if the highways were full of trucks or anything else for that matter - maybe 1 or 2 road trains an hour
find_bruce

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:29 am

Sorry I can't help specifically, but this maybe just the excuse you need to buy a MTB! :D
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby BrownBike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks. I noticed a few strava segments up there, both on and off-road but the highways look like it. Apparently it is now peak tourist season so lots of 4WDs, boats, caravans etc. But that's probably a relative thing.

I do have an old Shogun Trail Breaker in OK nick but it's a bit small. Not sure how a non-suspension MTB would go on the trails up there!
BrownBike

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:48 pm

BrownBike wrote:I do have an old Shogun Trail Breaker in OK nick but it's a bit small. Not sure how a non-suspension MTB would go on the trails up there!

Bah! Suspension on "off road" bicycles only became affordable for the common pleb from the mid 90s. It's all about fat tyres!

See if there's a bike shop up there... Remember the Yellow Pages? Give them a call if there and see what the scene is like. Don't rely on us faceless speculative slobs on the internut. ;)
- Kym
HappyHumber

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Buy a Cross bike- likely to be some semi offroad tracks/dirt roads around for exploring
CXCommuter

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Really depends on the terrain. If it's more soft sand than hard pack, or rock..... you'll be wanting more than 35 or even 40mm of rubber contact on the ground.
- Kym
HappyHumber

Postby BrownBike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:09 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Bah! Suspension on "off road" bicycles only became affordable for the common pleb from the mid 90s. It's all about fat tyres!

See if there's a bike shop up there... Remember the Yellow Pages? Give them a call if there and see what the scene is like. Don't rely on us faceless speculative slobs on the internut. ;)

Good idea! Hmmm - two listings for 'bike shops' - one is the toy shop, the other is a general sporting goods store.
BrownBike

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Yeah.. perhaps give the latter a call.
I'd expect high prices (relative to suburbia of course), but I'd be prepared to suck up the odd purchase there if I'm there for a while and doing my bit for the local scene & businesses. Even if they don't do much trade in bikes they may well know of a few guys locally who ride. Most "serious" local riders would bring their bikes in from elsewhere anyway I'd wager.

I'm actually kind of jealous. It maybe the same state but it's a different planet up there. Did a very brief stint at Argyle there back in the early 00s.
- Kym
HappyHumber

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Perhaps drop Kununurra Cycling Club an email?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby BrownBike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Perhaps drop Kununurra Cycling Club an email?

Email addy is dead. Could be worth calling the local community centre or sports hall I guess.
BrownBike

Postby BrownBike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:38 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Buy a Cross bike- likely to be some semi offroad tracks/dirt roads around for exploring

Actually, CX bike might be the go. Get some tough tyres so I can take it on a few unsealed roads, can use as commuter when (if?) I come back.
BrownBike

Postby Kevdog » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:20 am

I lived in Kununurra from 97 - 2003. I had a road bike but didn't feel comfortable using it that often. Too many big trucks and people that may not be paying attention to the cyclists space and then there is the massive double gees ( you would need plenty of spare tubes). That said though I hear it has changed with new suburbs and sub divisions being built. They used to have a pretty good gym and by now probably have some decent spin bikes.

The loop that was mentioned before is Packsaddle Road. Most of the main roads coming from town service mango/melon farms and as such there is plenty of heavy haulage traffic. I couldn't see there being any cycling lanes and yes there is no shoulder to ride on.

My advice would be to use the gym and take your fishing gear instead.

Enjoy, Its a great place, specially this time of year.
Kevdog

Postby BrownBike » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks Kev, top knowledge. I definitely have to take (buy) the fishing gear and a swag.
BrownBike

Return to Western Australia