Rail service roads as mountain bike trails

owly

Re: Rail service roads as mountain bike trails

Postby owly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Been along a few stretches there myself; also trying to keep out of sight of the rail workers on the weekends. As your probably know, there are quite a few tracks higher up in the hills which you can follow in the same general direction back west. I'll be sticking to those in the future. Though its a pretty nice ride on the road.

If you're ever back over that way in the drier months you can ride along the ridge on the south-western side of Walyunga, then come down into the picnic areas there. Carry your bike across the river and hit the tracks near the railway bridge, then head east following the valley/track that shoots off from there. You'll end up out at the s-bend road section further east.
MUFC :twisted:

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 am

Cycleops70 wrote:I thought I'd I'd post my experience of the rail service road through the Avon Valley.
I won't be using that again.
Thats so disappointing. That ride has been on my to do list for so long.
I've copied a great looking loop from Swan view up the Kep track to Northam and then north onto this road back to Bells rapids.
Like you I didn't think it would be such a highly populated road. I probably don't possess the ninja skills you do!

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Hugor wrote:I've copied a great looking loop from Swan view up the Kep track to Northam and then north onto this road back to Bells rapids.
I've looked at the same route. It looks very enjoyable, & I'd really like to do it.
Perhaps I just got unlucky, but I'm not sure I'd chance it.
Looking at strava, there seems to be quite a few that have. I may just be paranoid & that the staff aren't so strict, and maybe I didn't need to be so stealthy. Is it worth taking the chance? I don't know.

Hopefully someone who has been 'found out' could give their perspective on how they were dealt with.

LJayW

Postby LJayW » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:53 pm

owly wrote:
LJayW wrote:
owly wrote:Not north or east of Perth, but south:-
You can ride from Lakelands (Peel) to the north-east corner of Lake Coolyungup. passing through four reserves in a row; riding along the track along the railine, for a couple. You can go further north, but I'll leave it at that. Nice, scenic route.
Hi owly, any chance you have a route map you would share for this ride? I'm interested in going as far north as possible, via service roads/reserves etc. Thanks.
I'm available as a guide if you want to do a ride this long weekend, as the weather looks good for it.
Edit: wind direction suits best on Sat or Sun.
Hi, sorry for the late reply! Got completely busy/sidetracked, and I'm not in the habit of checking this forum.

Thanks for following up; I've got a clearer idea of the route now.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:20 am

LJayW wrote:
owly wrote:
LJayW wrote:
Hi owly, any chance you have a route map you would share for this ride? I'm interested in going as far north as possible, via service roads/reserves etc. Thanks.
I'm available as a guide if you want to do a ride this long weekend, as the weather looks good for it.
Edit: wind direction suits best on Sat or Sun.
Hi, sorry for the late reply! Got completely busy/sidetracked, and I'm not in the habit of checking this forum.

Thanks for following up; I've got a clearer idea of the route now.

Happy riding.
I really need to look into getting a gps unit.
MUFC :twisted: