Auditor-general to investigate adequacy of WA's metropolitan

Thoglette

Re: Auditor-general to investigate adequacy of WA's metropol

Postby Thoglette » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:35 pm

The West chimes in and wrote: Failure to complete Perth’s “poorly maintained” bike paths is forcing the city’s growing number of cyclists on to unsafe routes and putting them at risk, an investigation by Auditor-General Colin Murphy has revealed.
‘Poor’ bike paths raise cyclist risk
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

softy

Postby softy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:27 am

mich rolling wrote:And yet Transport WA has stopped publishing bicycle usage data for the main bike paths, last update March 2014.
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activetr ... /25730.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I keep banging on about it, without data advocates and critics can say what they like without fear of being wrong.
More cyclists are riding therefore more facilities are needed/fewer cyclists ride so forget about 'em.
I have notice they have fitted some different counters at locations over the last couple of years, maybe this explains figures not being produced, due to hiccups.

mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:05 am

Hmmmm. The published data up to March 2014 includes a number of the new counters. The end of publishing data smells more of staff shortages than technical issues. Time to get the new labour force (unpaid unistudents on work experience) in to collate the data.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Two agency responses to the audit were:
•The Transport Portfolio will finalise an implementation schedule and explore funding and resourcing options by the end of 2015. In addition a functional review within the Transport Portfolio is underway to ensure that the needs of cycling for transport are well covered to deliver the committed outcomes.
•The initial WABN annual report will be published in late 2015. This will be expanded in 2016 and will be published on an annual basis.

Given there are not many working days until the end of 2015, anyone seen the implementation schedule or the initial WABN annual report etc?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:27 pm

So 2015 is now well and truly over, anyone seen any signs of the WABN annual report and implementation schedule?

It always instills confidence in an organisation delivering goals over 16 years when they can't even meet commitments to deliver something 11 weeks after they say they will.

softy

Postby softy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:00 pm

I must say on a positive note, i do believe the major PSPs for the most part are pretty awesome.

Yes where there is trees near by there grow into the path and cause underlations. Also there is some really old sections, lack of conectivity between major routes and of course blackspots

But on the whole in WA i am pretty impressed with the infrastructure that has gone in. On my commutes i can spend more than 50% on cycleways most of the time.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:43 pm

rolandp wrote:Two agency responses to the audit were:
•The Transport Portfolio will finalise an implementation schedule and explore funding and resourcing options by the end of 2015. In addition a functional review within the Transport Portfolio is underway to ensure that the needs of cycling for transport are well covered to deliver the committed outcomes.
•The initial WABN annual report will be published in late 2015. This will be expanded in 2016 and will be published on an annual basis.

Given there are not many working days until the end of 2015, anyone seen the implementation schedule or the initial WABN annual report etc?
Three weeks into 2016 and has anyone seen these published?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:21 am

Nope. I have been waiting for a response from the Minister's Office on where the deliverables are since the 2nd.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I think somebody forgot about holidays......

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:18 pm

I have heard that the cycling project officer that was appointed last year is moving on. I guess there is nobody there to write the report?
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:47 pm

CycleSnail wrote:I have heard that the cycling project officer that was appointed last year is moving on. I guess there is nobody there to write the report?
If this is true, then with a hiring freeze in place until mid-year, we are probably looking at least another year lost with no action to correct the deficiencies identified in the report.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:32 pm

Scott_C wrote:
CycleSnail wrote:I have heard that the cycling project officer that was appointed last year is moving on. I guess there is nobody there to write the report?
If this is true, then with a hiring freeze in place until mid-year, we are probably looking at least another year lost with no action to correct the deficiencies identified in the report.
Or resources are moved from lower priority projects to higher priority ones.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 am

I thought that one of the outcomes of the Auditor General's report was that nothing is lower priority in Main Roads than cycling.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:05 pm

I received a response from Minister of Transport yesterday:
The Minister has requested that the Department of Transport attend to the matter you have raised and respond to you directly.

That would be the same department that I have previously contacted last year, with no responses provided, resulting in me contacting Minister of Transport, including copies of the unanswered correspondence. These correspondence were prior to the Auditor General's report, but were asking questions relating to the WABNP schedule, and the condition of the PSP, which were both findings in the Auditor General Report.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:14 pm

7 weeks later and I have a response from the Minister's Office which I will partially quote below:
The WABN Annual Report is progressing well. The draft was presented to the WABN Implementation Reference Group for review and feedback in December 2015. The feedback received is being incorporated into the final version that is expected to be released in the near future.

The WABN implementation schedule is progressing. The outcomes of the cycling functional review, the WABN biennial review and the State mid-year financial review handed down in December 2015 need to be considered. This work is continuing and is planned for completion by June 2016.
So, no explanation for why these have been delayed but at least we have a rough idea of when they will be completed. I can only assume the delays are due to the fact that the Transport portfolio couldn't plan a piss-up in a brewery.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:36 am

I suspect the issue lies in the political side of the transport portfolio more than the burueacratic side. If ther was a Minister demanding cycling investment like Vincent Mayor John Carey has been then it would happen. Sadly there isnt.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:48 pm

wellington_street wrote:I suspect the issue lies in the political side of the transport portfolio more than the burueacratic side. If ther was a Minister demanding cycling investment like Vincent Mayor John Carey has been then it would happen. Sadly there isnt.
Now if we could have tunnels for cycling that reduced congestion it might be a go :)
Andrew

Scott_C

Re: Auditor-general to investigate adequacy of WA's metropolitan

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:41 pm

So, the Transport Portfolio's revised delivery timetable of 'in the near future' for the WABN annual report and June 2016 for the WABN Implementation Schedule have passed yet again with no documents sighted. I have written to the Minister to inquire where they are and why the Transport Portfolio would publically promise to deliver a schedule in 3 months when they can't manage to develop it in 9 months.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:01 pm

MainRoads 2016/17 Budget shows:

Principal Shared Path Program Funding........................................................ - - - - 7,040
Where the last column 7,040 (,000) is for 2019/20, the previous column (-) is for 2018/19 etc.

Sorry, but the cut and paste didn't work from the document, but it is on page 727 if you download the document.

Does this mean no funding until 2019/20?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:41 am

rolandp wrote:MainRoads 2016/17 Budget shows:

Principal Shared Path Program Funding - 7,040
Where the last column 7,040 (,000) is for 2019/20, the previous column (-) is for 2018/19 etc.

Sorry, but the cut and paste didn't work from the document, but it is on page 727 if you download the document.

Does this mean no funding until 2019/20?
Those figures just show the changes to funding since the 2015/16 budget outline. So funding allocated prior is not shown.

The government has allocated $8.6m to cycling infrastructure in 2016/17.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:49 pm

After a 2 month wait I received an answer as to where the 2015 WA Bicycle Network Annual Report is. And that answer is that they threw it in the bin (despite having a draft circulating to stakeholder groups in January) so they could work on improving their counting methodology. Apparently they are "about to commence" working on a 2015-2016 Annual Report for release by late October 2016.

I received no answer relating to the provision of an implementation schedule with a best case that it will be included in the Annual Report and a worst case that they are just not going to deliver one.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 am

The Auditor General Report was released on 14-oct-2015.

Now 12 months old, where are the responses to the recommendations:
. In the next six months DoT should prepare and publish a:

WABN Plan implementation schedule and funding requirements progress report on WABN Plan actions.

In the next 12 months, DoT should implement an improved strategy to collect, monitor and analyse data on cycling participation to inform planning and safety.

In the next two years:

DoT should identify demand for transport options to inform and finalise a transport planning framework for Perth, which integrates all forms of transport
DoT and Main Roads should provide detailed construction and maintenance guidelines for cycling infrastructure to local government
DoT should progress the review and development of Local Bicycle Routes in conjunction with LGAs the State Government should consider developing a central crash and hazard reporting facility for the public to record safety concerns that relate to cycling infrastructure
DoT and RSC should work together to develop public awareness strategies to target safe cycling and mutual respect among all road users.

In the next five years, DoT and Main Roads should support and promote existing and new cycling infrastructure, including innovations being trialled by local government, to improve participation in cycling.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:59 am

Almost 2 Years on and DoT have released a status update on their implementation of the portfolio actions that they undertook to complete in response to the Auditor General's findings. Unsurprisingly a considerable number of actions that were originally promised for completion in 2015 are now planned for completion late 2017.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Scott_C wrote:Almost 2 Years on and DoT have released a status update on their implementation of the portfolio actions that they undertook to complete in response to the Auditor General's findings. Unsurprisingly a considerable number of actions that were originally promised for completion in 2015 are now planned for completion late 2017.
It is now 2018. Anyone seen the items which had a revised schedule for completion in 2017? Note, these had an original schedule date of 2015, so surely DoT will have completed them now.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 am

rolandp wrote:It is now 2018. Anyone seen the items which had a revised schedule for completion in 2017? Note, these had an original schedule date of 2015, so surely DoT will have completed them now.
Unsurprisingly the DoT Cycling Publications page has not been updated in 8 weeks since the 14th of Nov 2017 with none of the promised 2017 deliverables delivered to the public.