Auditor-general to investigate adequacy of WA's metropolitan

worzel

Auditor-general to investigate adequacy of WA's metropolitan

Postby worzel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:43 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-03/a ... th/6067848

Sounds very promising. Let's hope its not a political stunt to make a difficult issue go away.

CXCommuter

Re: Auditor-general to investigate adequacy of WA's metropol

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Yeah yeah whatever- anpther stupid report and no actual action to fix the problems we all know exist

Sorry way too jaded/cynical to think this will be a positive action- by the time this report comes out will be the next election when the next govt will enact other survey after disregarding this one.

Politicians- prove me wrong

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:18 pm

Do you think people who compile/analyse these studies know the difference between a cycle path and a shared path? The RAC survey I just completed didn't bode well...

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:54 am

From the article:
It would also look at how comprehensive and well-maintained the cycling network was on the main metropolitan transport routes.
Should I forward the Google maps recorded last year showing the bumps see PSP Maintenance- is enough being done. Data was also forwarded to DoT with no response back.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:39 pm

I am usually one of the most cynical people and I do note that governments around the world have a history of calling for a report / committee to be seen to be taking something seriously without actually doing anything. Then they eventually issue a weak report later on when the heat is off. I commented on a previous thread that Colin Barnett's comments a week or two back seemed to indicate that his response was going to be to blame cyclists and stop them riding 2 abreast / in groups etc. So this investigation at least leaves me more positive than I was when I wrote that. But let's be positive. We actually have a bit of a groundswell of support / activity building at the moment, including the RAC survey (despite some reservations expressed). So let's try and seize on this opportunity while it is presenting otherwise it could be years before we get another crack.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:33 pm

rolandp wrote:Should I forward the Google maps recorded last year showing the bumps see PSP Maintenance- is enough being done. Data was also forwarded to DoT with no response back.
It would be most unusual if the such as study was not going to take submissions from interested parties or the public.

ps - nice to see that the ABC can at least find the right advocacy groups! :D
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

CycleSnail

Senate Road Safety Audit closing 27-Feb-14

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 pm

The couple of submissions to the senate inquiry below from WA are from motorists wanting more and roads and less speed regulation. People riding bicycles might want to make a submission explaining the feeling of safety that is part of riding on lower speed roads in the suburbs. It would also be worthwhile to have voices heard supporting a legal safe passing distance. If a "meter matters" law becomes part of the Australian road rules, WA would find it hard not to implement it here.

Senate inquiry into aspects of road safety in Australia

Submissions due 27 February 2015

Website: http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus ... oad_safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Terms of Reference:

Aspects of road safety in Australia, having particular regard to:

a. the social and economic cost of road-related injury and death;

b. the importance of design standards on imported vehicles, as Australian vehicle manufacturing winds down;

c. the impact of new technologies and advancements in understanding of vehicle design and road safety;

d. the different considerations affecting road safety in urban, regional and rural areas;

e. other associated matters.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Thoglette

Re: Senate Road Safety Audit closing 27-Feb-14

Postby Thoglette » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:55 pm

CycleSnail wrote: Senate inquiry into aspects of road safety in Australia

Submissions due 27 February 2015
email contact for submissions is rrat.sen@aph.gov.au

A relevant point that is always missed by these is the top of the safety pyramid: remove the risk.

From where we are the simplest way to reduce the road toll is to get people out of single-occupant vehicles and into other modes of transport.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 pm

The Office of the Auditor General for Western Australia (OAG) is conducting a survey to help inform our audit on cycling in the Perth metropolitan area. The audit is focused on two key areas: the cycling network and actions to promote cycling as a safe, convenient and viable mode of transport.

General information from this survey may be used to inform our audit and may appear as support information in the final audit report.

The survey can be found here

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:39 pm

Done, and every cyclist should complete this survey.

Last page of the survey provides contact details which apparently isn't available anywhere else. Copied for reference below:
If you have any questions or queries in relation to this survey or the audit please contact our Office on 6557 7500 or email consultation@audit.wa.gov.au (please write these details down as you won't be able to access them once you have closed this survey).

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:14 am

Done. The comment boxes allowed are great - you can say what you really mean rather than be pigeon-holed by leading/misleading multi-choice questions.

Wezz

Postby Wezz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:41 am

Completed, I thought that was a good survey too, spent quite a bit of time putting in comments.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:19 am

I got carried away... Too many times I've started using the infrastructure only to realize it's too poor where I live.... Maybe it exists and maybe it doesn't but the bike path maps don't help and unless you know the paths/trails, it's a pain around Midland. Don't even get me started about trying to cross Great Eastern Highway when there's traffic and the lights are 1.5km apart and you can't use the paths easily either because of the cars trying to get onto the road who only look in the direction of oncoming traffic and you can't ride up the road, because it's just too dangerous ( narrow lanes, cars can't slow down or go around unless you take up the whole lane ) and most of the bike paths aren't marked, and those that are often aren't on the map, and you have to cross roads against traffic and... and.... and...

Just how the heck are you supposed to travel south from Midland anyway? I've seen the bicycle bypass at the intersection of Gt Eastern Hwy bypass and Roe, but how are you supposed to get there in the first place? And if you do, where do you ride?

:(

I'm sure the more experienced riders know the answers already... But I am not a more experienced rider.

David.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:02 am

Done, the final brief comments turned into a book.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:42 am

I agree with the comments above. The ability to provide unstructured comments, and the way the questions were asked, worked for me ....

This is a good opportunity to provide feedback, and it is to an agency that is not directly involved in the cycling issues nor are they accountable to Police or Transport or Planning, but their observations are considered carefully.

The person who has been tasked to research the issue and to write the report is a regular commuting cyclist, in addition to all the other qualities. The auditor general ensured that there was a presence from their organisation at many of the cycling forums and events in the last few weeks.

So, please comment and encourage your cycling friends (if you have any) to do likewise.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:33 pm

To get an idea what a report and recommendations from an Auditor General Report look like, refer to the report on congestion that was just released. Note that the upgrade program of the PSP network is part of the congestion management strategy (see page 27 of the report)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:03 pm

CycleSnail wrote:To get an idea what a report and recommendations from an Auditor General Report look like, refer to the report on congestion that was just released. Note that the upgrade program of the PSP network is part of the congestion management strategy (see page 27 of the report)
In my view from a bicycle rider's perspective the very telling statement in this report was not page 27 but the comments on the Department of Transport’s Moving People Network Plan which has been in draft since 2013. I have outlined my thoughts about this on my blog and have written to Minister Nalder seeking an update on its status but given this plan was, to quote the Auditor General,
aimed at defining the function of the road network and improving the design for road based transit and cycling infrastructure. It was intended to support the whole-of—government land use strategy Directions 2031 and Beyond to ensure that transport and land use are linked to provide sustainable outcomes.
I would hope that serious questions are now being asked of the Minister as to what is happening with this plan.

Andrew
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:50 am

The Auditor Generals survey closes on Monday. Take the time to complete it.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/oagcycling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Aushiker wrote:...the Department of Transport’s Moving People Network Plan which has been in draft since 2013.

....I would hope that serious questions are now being asked of the Minister as to what is happening with this plan.
Ok, found out what's been slowing this and the traffic management framework (sp?) reports.

Eric Lumsden, Chairman of the Western Australian Planning Commission, has been charing an effort to develop a new Stephenson plan - covering not just transport but also power, water, housing, parks etc etc.
To create a dynamic, vibrant and liveable city into the 21st century, the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) has developed the draft Perth and Peel (AT) 3.5 million suite of documents. The suite consists of the Perth and Peel (AT) 3.5million report that provides a snapshot of where we are now and where we might be in the future and four draft sub-regional planning frameworks. The vision considered population growth, employment, housing, transport and environment issues. Once finalised, the frameworks will be used by State agencies and local governments to guide residential and industrial development, and supporting infrastructure
He said that, rather than have to re-jig them post publication of these reports, he convinced the relevant parties to halt work on the plans.

Unfortunately the talk was rather short on detail of what the plan actually contained, however the outer harbour is apparently in.

He did express frustration (perhaps more than he intended) at the trend in governments for "ad hoc" infrastructure decisions but no-one was able to draw him into naming examples.

He underlined that the purpose of the plan was to help minimise that sort of thing and, particularly, prepare treasury with the necessary understanding of the impact of trade offs.

He stated (16 Jun) that this has been a whole of government approach with bipartisan support. He didn't say whether academia (esp. Newman & Hendrigan) were on board.

See also https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/p ... ook-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:09 am

'Tabling is currently anticipated in the fourth quarter of 2015' for this audit - anyone heard anything about the findings of the audit, and when they will be tabled?

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:53 pm

https://audit.wa.gov.au/reports-and-pub ... itan-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-14/p ... ds/6853732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Cycle routes in Perth are underfunded and poorly planned, WA auditor-general Colin Murphy has found.

The findings were made in an audit undertaken to determine whether suitable support and infrastructure was in place to encourage cycling.

It found cycle paths were of varying quality and levels of maintenance, and did not always comply with Australian standards, creating "conflicting and less safe conditions for cycling".

"Only 48 per cent of the planned PSP [Principal Shared Paths] cycle network is complete and well maintained," the report said.

"Of the existing routes, many do not connect well because some sections have not been built, and older paths need upgrading if they are to cater for increasing demand."
Sounds about right
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Minister's press release which surprise surprise came out today as well ...

Speaking on Ride2Work Day, Transport Minister Dean Nalder said $27.07 million would be spent on expanding the network of principal shared paths at the following locations:

Fremantle Rail line - Shenton Park to Loch Street StatioN
- Grant Street to Cottesloe Station
- Cottesloe to Victoria Street Station

Midland Rail line - Guildford Bridge to Railway Parade
- Guildford Station to East Street
- East Street to Morrison Road

Mitchell Freeway - Civic Place to Karrinyup Road
- Karrinyup Road to Erindale Road

Major Projects - Northlink WA
- Malaga Drive interchange
- Gateway WA
- Roe Highway
- Roe 8
- Mitchell Freeway extension.

Map can be found here.

Andrew
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:16 pm

This is an interesting quote from the report:
conducted a survey from March to April 2015 to gather community opinion on cycling infrastructure and safety in the Perth metropolitan area. Results are shown in Appendix 1. The number of respondents, at 2 828, was the highest number that had responded to our surveys to date

mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:43 am

And yet Transport WA has stopped publishing bicycle usage data for the main bike paths, last update March 2014.
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activetr ... /25730.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I keep banging on about it, without data advocates and critics can say what they like without fear of being wrong.
More cyclists are riding therefore more facilities are needed/fewer cyclists ride so forget about 'em.