Kep Track - October 25 - 26, 2008

Quick yarn

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:52 pm

I enjoyed the ride, excellent touring terrain.

Some ruts from water and use degradation, one section was a tad uncomfortable due to dents in the hardish track from shoed horse hoofs, about 3-5 kilometer I estimate. I didn't have any shock forks or tyres that could really reduce jolting. Andrew looked more comfortable on the rougher parts but I suspect I rolled better on the smoother parts, particularly the short Eadine road section. I also thought the variation to a more single track, rougher and closed in by fauna section close to Northam a welcome change. This is where punctures are likely to occur, first from the thorns particularly if you venture onto the grass sides or smashed glass from the yokals. Also large puddles and a tiny flowing creek to cross at Clackline, managed to soak one foot that was 6 o'clock.

The weather was mild overcast, sun a little later in the morning through to the afternoon, low UV and only a short shower at the very beginning to a cooler windy condition approaching dark. Ideal for me.

I managed to drink 2.5L approximately over the entire ride from my water bottle, filling up at the Pie Shop. I had a tiny bit of soreness in the crotch and a mild strain in the upper anterior knee. Both of these minor complaint I put down to an isolated long ride. My bike was a pleasure to ride, the fit is marvelous and it managed the track fine. Final reading on my Astrale8 154.40km.

I'm looking forward to riding KEP again. I may devise an alternative tour to Toodyay or York following different tracks. Seems to be quite a bit of potential for touring semi offroad/onroad.
ajh_ausnzcf

by BNA » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:58 pm

BNA

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Well done to both of you! Just a few kms off your Imperial Century!

I have no overseas travel plans until late Jan 2009 so I'd be interested if you were doing this 1 day trip again. (Time to get my MTB dirty! :lol: )

Cheers,

Gary
gdl_gdl

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:59 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:I have no overseas travel plans until late Jan 2009 so I'd be interested if you were doing this 1 day trip again. (Time to get my MTB dirty! :lol: )

You serious? :)

FYI I have updated my blog and included a Bikely.com link and a Google Earth kml file for those interested.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:50 pm

You serious?

Absolutely! I'd be keen to do the 1 day trip (too many family commitments for a 2 day trip). Last did MTB riding in Toronto back in July so I'm keen for another shot.

Cheers,

Gary
gdl_gdl

Postby madrapper » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:56 pm

Aushiker wrote:Possible slight change of plans and I am now thinking of doing this as a return ride on Saturday (150 km) with an early start around 6:00 AM Saturday.

Bugger. I read this thread when you first started it but didn't re-visit it till today. I remember thinking at the time that it would've been a good solid one day ride.

Perhaps next time :)

Cheers,
Dave
madrapper

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:58 pm

G'day

I think the next time might be up to someone else to organise. If I do it again it will a home to Northam return weekend tour I suspect.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby sittingbison » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:14 pm

so that would be a night stopover in the thriving metropolis of Northam?
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University
sittingbison

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:21 pm

sittingbison wrote:so that would be a night stopover in the thriving metropolis of Northam?

Yes.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:
sittingbison wrote:so that would be a night stopover in the thriving metropolis of Northam?

Yes.

Andrew

A bit of news at ABC News, and some social comment :

ABC News wrote:Police are investigating a brawl between two families in the West Australian town of Northam.

Police say about 25 people were at a local park about 8:00pm last night, celebrating an 18th birthday when a teenager started a fight with another male.

They say several family members became involved and one man was hit with a length of pipe.

Northam police say they'll question those involved in the fight.

For me this bit of news gives pause and thought to staying in Toodyay, a not so thriving metropolis. I did notice that Northam "CBD" and surrounds are a little rough, socially. Remember the boglaps? Also an intoxicated youth at the local park, which I suspect is the same park in the news story. I'm still keen on an overnighter, loaded adventure.
ajh_ausnzcf

Previous

Return to Western Australia