Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Thoglette

Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Thoglette » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:19 am

ABC News wrote:Police in Perth are investigating what appears to be a hit and run crash involving a cyclist in Mount Pleasant.

A 65-year-old man was knocked off his bike on The Esplanade around 6:00am today.

He has been taken to Royal Perth Hospital with serious injuries.

Police are looking for the driver of the car
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-18/cyclist-injured-in-hit-and-run/6785900
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Rex

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Rex » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:39 am

Really hope the cyclist recovers ok.

Lots of police there blocking the roads off. Very glad I was running late this morning.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:56 am

Perth Now have photos of the bike following the collision with a taco'ed rear wheel and what looks like a chrome wing mirror from a car lying on the road.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 7532691905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope the rider recovers OK and everyone takes it safe out there.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:41 am

Here's hoping the riders recovers quickly - the article indicates another rider down in East Fremantle - and we find the responsible individual in the car from the Mt. Pleasant incident.
My blood is boiling.

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Chilling as this is a frequent route of mine. Hit and run should automatically be upgraded to attempted murder or murder dependant on outcome. Speedy recovery to rider.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:25 pm

What a rotten act. My best wishes to the rider.

Cannot, will not with the PerthNow comments :evil:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:39 pm

I ride this route regularly and it chills me to think how callous some people could be. I rode past the incident scene about 6:18 and it didnt look good.
i'm assuming that the vehicle wasn't identified.

Now is the time to put a call out to anyone who may have been riding about 5:30 to 6 am.
If you have a Go-Pro, Fly 6 or other footage from early morning along the Esplanade (north or south), then review the footage to see if there is any vehicle that might be identified.
Some riders might not make the connection to the equipment on their bike helping in this instance - I'm hoping this note might do that.

exadios

Postby exadios » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 pm

Yagan wrote:Chilling as this is a frequent route of mine. Hit and run should automatically be upgraded to attempted murder or murder dependant on outcome. Speedy recovery to rider.
And what will you be advocating when the jury acquits the defendant because the prosecution has failed, due to lack of evidence, to prove the elements necessary for a charge of murder?

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:31 pm

They have updated they are looking for a white ute. I am sure there will be no shortage of security cameras on that road

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:34 pm

Rode that route yesterday, it's so lightly trafficked it is inconceivable to get anywhere near a cyclist along there, my money is on an attempted pass though one of the traffic calming pinch points.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:37 pm

I ride it every day.
That spot there is no island and plenty of room to go around.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Yagan wrote:They have updated they are looking for a white ute. I am sure there will be no shortage of security cameras on that road
A white Toyota Hilux. Tradie? Who would have thought?

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:41 pm

exadios wrote:
Yagan wrote:Chilling as this is a frequent route of mine. Hit and run should automatically be upgraded to attempted murder or murder dependant on outcome. Speedy recovery to rider.
And what will you be advocating when the jury acquits the defendant because the prosecution has failed, due to lack of evidence, to prove the elements necessary for a charge of murder?
Clearly you are taking me too literately.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Yagan wrote:Clearly you are taking me too literately.
You must be new here.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:30 pm

I rode past both of these incidents this morning. The one along Mount Pleasant looked quite serious and the roads were blocked off, media present and a couple of cyclists giving statements to the police. The girl hit in East Fremantle was still on the ground with people assisting when we came across her. She was apparently hit by a turning car and went over the bonnet. She didn't appear to be seriously hurt thankfully but had pain in her leg and was obviously sore and in shock. Everyone on the scene seemed pretty amicable and calm.

I was definitely on my toes for the rest of the ride...

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:09 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
Yagan wrote:Clearly you are taking me too literately.
You must be new here.
No been here for years but am quickly reminded why I fade back into the shadows

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:28 pm

For the record the scene in the article places it at Clive Street, a couple of hundred metres from Rockwood.

If my foot hadn't given me grief overnight I would have been riding through that point this morning around the time.
exadios wrote:
Exactly. Murder is, by and large, a legal construct. The terminology for such acts varies across jurisdictions.

I think in WA that a death without premeditation can still be murder in if the fatal outcome of a reckless act is fairly probable and obvious. For example, doing donuts on the freeway or doing a hundred kph past a school at 3pm, road rage, etc.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:45 pm

WA Police report it is the drivers side mirror that was broken off

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:32 am

nachoman wrote:WA Police report it is the drivers side mirror that was broken off
Which could indicate that the rider was well over on the wrong side of the road or, at the least, very much near the centre.

Or maybe that the car was passing, say, another cyclist and so crossed to the other side, hitting an unseen oncoming cyclist.

Or maybe simply drunk and crossed the road to hit that oncoming cyclist. Those sorts of drivers are often the ones that do a runner.

Or the media got their left and right wrong.

Or any number of causes.

However, in my thousand or so times riding that stretch early mornings I have seldom, if ever, seen a lone cyclist riding in the middle of the road.

For the record, in terms of drivers and riders sharing the road, I'd reckon that stretch is about as close as there is to sensible and considerate driving as you will find in Perth.

We won't know much until the Police do.

Rex

Postby Rex » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:41 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote: For the record, in terms of drivers and riders sharing the road, I'd reckon that stretch is about as close as there is to sensible and considerate driving as you will find in Perth.
Yep, especially at that time of morning.

Baffling.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:19 pm

I've actually had one of my nearest misses along there, heading towards mt Henry, away from the city, someone decided to overtake, fully went to the other side of the road as I was claiming the lane approaching one of the pinch points. They then realised they were heading for the wrong side of the pinch and bailed on the overtake and had to wait for me before rejoining the correct side of the road. Just pure impatience and lack of vision

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:26 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Or any number of causes.
Could easily have struck the rider from behind, and the rider slid off the bonnet to the right as the car turned left, taking the mirror off as he fell.
Or the driver tried to pass to the left of a right-turning rider.

Too many possibilities, too little data. Why did the driver flee of the rider was at fault? Let's wait for a few more facts before we crucify someone on the internetz.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:29 pm

trailgumby wrote:Let's wait for a few more facts before we crucify someone on the internetz.
Hope springs eternal.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:29 pm

trailgumby wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Or any number of causes.
Could easily have struck the rider from behind, and the rider slid off the bonnet to the right as the car turned left, taking the mirror off as he fell.
Or the driver tried to pass to the left of a right-turning rider.

Too many possibilities, too little data. Why did the driver flee of the rider was at fault? Let's wait for a few more facts before we crucify someone on the internetz.
+1

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:21 pm

"...Meteorology and climate change expert Professor Thomas Lyons was found lying unconscious next to his mangled bike on The Esplanade between Rockwood and Clive streets just after 6am Friday...."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 7534549200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've ridden there hundreds of times - I think it's either deliberate or a drunk.