Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

User avatar
Cycleops70
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 am

Seems to be no update on Thomas Lyons, hopefully no news is good news.

Another one this morning (cyclists hit by driver who failed preliminary breath test)

http://m.perthnow.com.au/news/western-a ... 7539874379

User avatar
Timeonabike
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 am

Faaaaaaaaark.

wellington_street
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby wellington_street » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 am

Cycleops70 wrote:Another one this morning (cyclists hit by driver who failed preliminary breath test)

http://m.perthnow.com.au/news/western-a ... 7539874379

Geez. Another on the driver's side is just bizarre too.
Being a Western Power contractor and blowing over the limit - he will likely be sacked from his job in the event that he doesn't go to jail.

Scott_C
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Scott_C » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:16 am

wellington_street wrote:
Cycleops70 wrote:Another one this morning (cyclists hit by driver who failed preliminary breath test)

http://m.perthnow.com.au/news/western-a ... 7539874379

Geez. Another on the driver's side is just bizarre too.
Being a Western Power contractor and blowing over the limit - he will likely be sacked from his job in the event that he doesn't go to jail.


Channel 10 has a photo of the vehicle and it is the passenger side wing mirror, not the driver side.

http://tenplay.com.au/news/national/sep ... nana-beach

Can't expect a journalist to know their left from their right.

User avatar
Cycleops70
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:19 am

"The cyclist's injuries are not believed to be life-threatening" - Some consolation, hope they recover well.

User avatar
Lizzy
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Wild West

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:39 am

Heard from a cross-campus lunch buddy who works in Tom Lyons dept this morning, he is improving.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; RIP “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX - 2006-2018

User avatar
Summernight
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:59 am

Lizzy wrote:Heard from a cross-campus lunch buddy who works in Tom Lyons dept this morning, he is improving.


Great to hear, thank you Lizzy. :)

wellington_street
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby wellington_street » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Scott_C wrote:Channel 10 has a photo of the vehicle and it is the passenger side wing mirror, not the driver side.

http://tenplay.com.au/news/national/sep ... nana-beach

Can't expect a journalist to know their left from their right.

Thanks Scott.
Perhaps the old 'Save As' from the Mt Pleasant article went a bit wrong :)

User avatar
HappyHumber
Posts: 5018
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:02 pm

wellington_street wrote:Can't expect a journalist to know their left from their right.

They oughta, if they know where their pay cheque is coming from.
- Kym
Infrequently reading & contributing these days. Still reachable by PM (email alerts) - dec 2016

User avatar
Cycleops70
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Lizzy wrote:Heard from a cross-campus lunch buddy who works in Tom Lyons dept this morning, he is improving.


Thumbs up to that!

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 4113
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Scott_C wrote:Channel 10 has a photo of the vehicle and it is the passenger side wing mirror, not the driver side..


Two different accidents -
Mt Pleasant, RHS mirror 18th Sept, driver fled the scene.
Kwinana beach, LHS mirror 23rd Sept, driver stopped.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22218
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Scott_C wrote:Channel 10 has a photo of the vehicle and it is the passenger side wing mirror, not the driver side..


Two different accidents -
Mt Pleasant, RHS mirror 18th Sept, driver fled the scene.
Kwinana beach, LHS mirror 23rd Sept, driver stopped.


You can add a third .. Upper Swan ... driver pulls knife allegedly then fled the scene. The bicycle riders directly involved where a a 14 year old girl and 13 year old boy but do not think the knife was pulled on them. They where riding with support vehicles, front and rear as I understand it.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cp123
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby cp123 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:35 pm

the drunk driver - there's writing on the passenger door. is that a work car? that's probably another level of poop he's got himself into in damaging a work car while drunk... he might have to pay to repair that one too?

wellington_street
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby wellington_street » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:56 pm

cp123 wrote:the drunk driver - there's writing on the passenger door. is that a work car? that's probably another level of poop he's got himself into in damaging a work car while drunk... he might have to pay to repair that one too?

It was stated in the news report that he was driving a Western Power contractor vehicle.
Think he will lose his job in the event that he doesn't go to jail (unlikely given the cyclists has died).

User avatar
Cycleops70
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:59 pm

The cyclist died??? It is still being reported as "not serious" and "none life threatening".

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Lizzy wrote:Heard from a cross-campus lunch buddy who works in Tom Lyons dept this morning, he is improving.

Thanks Lizzy
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

wellington_street
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:00 am

Cycleops70 wrote:The cyclist died??? It is still being reported as "not serious" and "none life threatening".

Sorry I meant 'hasn't died. Typo :)

User avatar
roller
Posts: 1875
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby roller » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:You can add a third .. Upper Swan ... driver pulls knife allegedly then fled the scene. The bicycle riders directly involved where a a 14 year old girl and 13 year old boy but do not think the knife was pulled on them. They where riding with support vehicles, front and rear as I understand it.

Andrew


:shock:

what goes through some people's minds i'll never know.
inflammatory statement or idea

User avatar
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 9653
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Success, WA
Contact:

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:29 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Can't expect a journalist to know their left from their right.

They oughta, if they know where their pay cheque is coming from.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mediocratus
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Mediocratus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:24 pm

roller wrote:
Aushiker wrote:You can add a third .. Upper Swan ... driver pulls knife allegedly then fled the scene. The bicycle riders directly involved where a a 14 year old girl and 13 year old boy but do not think the knife was pulled on them. They where riding with support vehicles, front and rear as I understand it.

Andrew


:shock:

what goes through some people's minds i'll never know.

What was going through his mind may well have been ice.

User avatar
BB creek
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby BB creek » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Any updates out there on:
i) the cyclists condition, and
ii) the result of the court hearing? it was reported to be on November 4th and would be interesting to know what charges have been laid.

NASHIE
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby NASHIE » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Tried to find some news updates last week with no luck. Can only hope no news is good news for the cyclist.

User avatar
Lizzy
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Wild West

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Lizzy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:45 pm

I checked in with colleagues of Prof Lyons this morning, he's still in hospital but has progressed to lower levels of care, and talking. Prognosis is optimistic.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; RIP “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX - 2006-2018

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Revisiting this thread I have been googling for the completion of the story as I don't recall how it all ended up. Strangely I can't find anything about the court case, nor about Thomas Lyons eventual state. And I notice that the reporting at the time avoided identifying driver by name - just a 46yo father from Parkwood.

In view of the intense media interest at the time I'd expect it would be very easy to find more after the date that police charged. Indeed I have so far linked to three pages that no longer exist. Curious.

I am told by someone who worked with the partner that she thinks the driver is currently in gaol.

Does anyone care to address my curiousity? What were the eventual outcomes.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:12 pm

Bumpity bump. Still not easy to find anything about the case, the driver. Is this protected scum?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users