Cyclist killed in car collision, Bennett Springs, 6/12/2015

mat664

Re: Cyclist killed in car collision, Bennett Springs, 6/12/2

Postby mat664 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:04 am

Numerous people have been killed in their own homes by cars...to list a few:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/woman ... 1ejbt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.news.com.au/world/brekkie-wr ... 6891709992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-04/m ... ge/5865364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/truck-slams-i ... 1pq7l.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Safe passing laws and existing laws won't protect any of us from people who ignore them. (I am not saying this driver did) All we can do is live life as best we can and hope no-one else takes us out...we are not and never will be safe from cars anywhere. RIP Tom.

I almost got hit in Malaga a few weeks back...have now brought a Fly6 rear camera. It won't save me but will hopefully provide justice if the worst happens.

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:10 pm

A woman has now been charged in relation to this crash:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/308 ... ist-crash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:30 pm

R12RT wrote:A woman has now been charged in relation to this crash:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/308 ... ist-crash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If she's guilty (which I assume she is) I hope she gets an appropriate sentence. But this terribly sad on account, not only of a lost life (most of all), but also this young woman wrecking her life.

softy

Postby softy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:35 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:
R12RT wrote:A woman has now been charged in relation to this crash:

If she's guilty (which I assume she is) I hope she gets an appropriate sentence. But this terribly sad on account, not only of a lost life (most of all), but also this young woman wrecking her life.
The problem here is you can't ask a dead person what happened. So the driver could lie through their teeth.

I do hope there is a couple of witnesses, which stories match up.

This guy hit was a very safe and experienced cyclist, so i will call it at this point the driver run him down.

Also the spot is not a place you would be shooting out from the kerb or something stupid, a major single intersection, with bush on all corners.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:19 pm

I've driven Marshall - live in the area. Not a road I'd be comfortable cycling, personally, but there is zero excuse for hitting someone on it as, like you say, there's not anywhere to shoot out from. Probably inattention or texting or something. Young, inexperienced driver. As a cyclist I want her to be made an example of, as a father I can only imagine the fear and stress her family would be under. People are just too cavalier about cars.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:36 pm

In the news again today. No progress so far.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 9d58a25386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Poor kid ..

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:06 pm

really...

Mr Curtis collided with a Mazda hatchback and was knocked off his bike on Marshall Road in Bennett Springs before 6am on Sunday, December 6.

sounds more like she collided with Mr Curtis.

Nashie - I feel more sorry for Mr Curtis' family.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:05 pm

cp123 wrote:really...

Mr Curtis collided with a Mazda hatchback and was knocked off his bike on Marshall Road in Bennett Springs before 6am on Sunday, December 6.

sounds more like she collided with Mr Curtis.

Nashie - I feel more sorry for Mr Curtis' family.
The two aren't mutually exclusive - I feel empathy for the kid too -

Keep in mind, that most kids have no idea how to drive safely, or understand the real dangers of driving a car and have spent their entire lives knowing that the phone screen is far more important than the windscreen.

They don't intend to kill people. It's not like a kid walks out of their house and says "I'm planning on spending the next five years in jail for mowing someone down"...

As much as we've made roads unsafe for cyclists, we've created a lottery where we're jailing young people for being kids if their number comes up.

This doesn't excuse what happened and isn't trying to - all drivers are aware well-enough of their actions and the consequences. But there seems to be a nasty tendency for road safety agencies to ignore that the biggest danger to cyclists is the way roads are made here, and the lack of specific training and campaigns identifying the realities of road dangers when all approaches to this topic are made with a kid-glove approach.

Prisons are supposed to be places for people who intended to do bad things - not for a general population where half of them are doing something they know is dangerous, but they do it anyway, because the odds of hitting someone are so low. No one thinks they are going to hit a cyclist and go to jail.

Meanwhile, the situation is allowed to propagate and deteriorate.

Thinks like the log-book hours? They all contribute to the danger rather than alleviate it - as does the pathetic application of the law. Cars are treated as a right, something you just get with age, especially in wealthy families. Drive drunk three times? Should be a mandatory ban for 10 years on driving. Caught driving knowingly without a license? Mandatory jail time. Stealing a car and driving dangerously? Mandatory jail time. Use a car as a weapon? Mandatory jail time.

But run a red light? A stop sign? Using a phone while driving?

They still make the punishment fit the crime, but you have to ask yourselves, why is this happening so much lately? Seems it's easier to punish the guilty in this case than it is to address the reason they are breaking the law in the first place.

David.

Meanwhile, there's almost zero effective road safety programs for them, and

softy

Postby softy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:18 pm

I have heard these arguements before. The guilty needs to be treated with a soft pedal.

I don't agree, why;
A person has died, if it was a close relative to you, would you be so open minded?
A death is a death and already drivers are treated with incredible leanacy when seriously injurying and killing cyclists.
jokes are still made about points for hitting cyclists
some drivers intentional mean to intimadate cyclist that are riding on the road.

If going softy continues, there is very little detterent for inappropiate driving.

Also not all kids feel this guilt, they get daddy to get them off, and are smart brats. They think, I bet that one! Get back in their cars and drive the same.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:43 pm

Yep really. Condolences to Mr Curtis family go without saying.

softy who mentioned a 'soft pedal' ?. I feel sorry for young 20yr old who has made a mistake that ended in someones life. We all make mistakes of various degrees and this one is going to effect her and her family for the rest of their lives. Who knows if she's a smart brat or a really nice kid ? As far as appropriate punishment for her and to set an example others......good luck getting that one right. I do believe locking every crime up aint the answer.

When i heard that the young girl that hit the cyclist in Kalamunda early last year wanted to meet him, i had a really good feeling about the outcome for both sides, which i believe did end well. Had that cyclist died I'm sure the feelings may have been different, but it was still a young kid that had made a series of poor calls.

All well to be armchair critics, but i think we can agree that we would hate this type of incident to land at our doorstep.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:51 pm

NASHIE wrote:
Yep really. Condolences to Mr Curtis family go without saying.

softy who mentioned a 'soft pedal' ?. I feel sorry for young 20yr old who has made a mistake that ended in someones life. We all make mistakes of various degrees and this one is going to effect her and her family for the rest of their lives. Who knows if she's a smart brat or a really nice kid ? As far as appropriate punishment for her and to set an example others......good luck getting that one right. I do believe locking every crime up aint the answer.

When i heard that the young girl that hit the cyclist in Kalamunda early last year wanted to meet him, i had a really good feeling about the outcome for both sides, which i believe did end well. Had that cyclist died I'm sure the feelings may have been different, but it was still a young kid that had made a series of poor calls.

All well to be armchair critics, but i think we can agree that we would hate this type of incident to land at our doorstep.
Sympathy for the "poor kid" (20-year old) who made a "mistake" was your priority. Says it all really.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:06 pm

When you get behind a wheel you need to take responsibility for your actions. Yes everyone makes mistakes, but most have to deal with the consquences in their life.

You are forgetting the trauma and pain the loved ones of the dead victim have to go through, kids lost their grandfather, sons daughters lost their father. A wife without a husband. Friends never experiencing their friend again. Because someone could not operate a motor vehicle properly. This particular person was a very experienced cyclist who was aware of safe riding. I would find it difficult to see he did something silly.

To tone down such an event of Man slaughter to me, sends a very wrong message to the community.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:16 pm

+10 what Softy said

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:26 pm

softy wrote:When you get behind a wheel you need to take responsibility for your actions. Yes everyone makes mistakes, but most have to deal with the consquences in their life.

You are forgetting the trauma and pain the loved ones of the dead victim have to go through, kids lost their grandfather, sons daughters lost their father. A wife without a husband. Friends never experiencing their friend again. Because someone could not operate a motor vehicle properly. This particular person was a very experienced cyclist who was aware of safe riding. I would find it difficult to see he did something silly.

To tone down such an event of Man slaughter to me, sends a very wrong message to the community.
You don't get it, showing empathy for the young girl doesn't mean one is forgetting the victim, or saying she deserves a light going over :roll:

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:36 pm

biker jk wrote:
NASHIE wrote:
was your priority. Says it all really.
Please tell me what that says to you ?

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:24 pm

If one of my family was the victim I'd want blood. If one of them the driver, I'd want mercy. This is why we have, theoretically, impartial judges. I feel very conflicted about this.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:21 pm

NASHIE wrote:
softy wrote:When you get behind a wheel you need to take responsibility for your actions. Yes everyone makes mistakes, but most have to deal with the consquences in their life.

You don't get it, showing empathy for the young girl doesn't mean one is forgetting the victim, or saying she deserves a light going over :roll:
Plus one. No winners. Many losers associated with the rider and with the driver.

Notwithstanding that there is a certain amount of information already reported along with google maps on which a partially informed judgement can be made, I'll remain patient and wait for the courts to do their bit.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:12 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I'll remain patient and wait for the courts to do their bit.
The courts have now done their bit. The result, a $500 fine for careless driving.

His life apparently wasn't even worth the maximum fine of $600.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Scott_C wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I'll remain patient and wait for the courts to do their bit.
The courts have now done their bit. The result, a $500 fine for careless driving.

His life apparently wasn't even worth the maximum fine of $600.
What

WHAT
WHAT?!
Smith's lawyer Seamus Rafferty said there was no one was to blame for Mr Curtis' death.

"It was absolutely no way his fault ... but it was not her fault either," he said.

Mr Rafferty told the court the section of road where Mr Curtis was killed was "not up to Australian standards" at the time of the crash.
NO BLAME
BLAME THE ROAD
WHUT
whut

blame the person who built the road instead? Put them in jail?

whut!

dmwill

Re: Cyclist killed in car collision, Bennett Springs, 6/12/2015

Postby dmwill » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:16 pm

I get the impression Seamus Rafferty was trying to say that the road was not suitable for cyclists and the victim should have not been riding there.

$500 for killing someone with your car is absurd.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:54 pm

dmwill wrote:I get the impression Seamus Rafferty was trying to say that the road was not suitable for cyclists and the victim should have not been riding there.

$500 for killing someone with your car is absurd.
$500 for killing someone with your car is deeply and unremittingly offensive.

FTFY.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:17 am

The fine of $500 was in accordance to the regulations in place a the time of the offence and Magistrate Wood acknowledged this in her sentencing comments. Subsequently the regulations have been changed to a maximum penalty of three years jail and a fine up to $36,000.

On a balancing note I think we sometimes forget that cyclists can also kill; it was not that long ago in WA that a cyclist riding on a shared path, by all counts it seems recklessly, who through his actions killed a pedestrian, someone who was doing nothing more than walking with his family along the river foreshore whilst visiting our state. [1]

Unlike this case under discussion that cyclist didn't even get a fine as there was no regulation at the time which controlled such behaviour by cyclists.

Thankfully now we have the suitable laws in place for cyclists and should such a horrible incident ever happen again, the cyclist may go to jail as they should.

[1] For the record about a year or so later a cyclist and an elderly lady collided on a road and the lady was killed. No offence was deemed to be committed by the cyclist as it was considered to the be actions of the lady stepping out on to the road into the path of the cyclist that caused the collision and sadly her death. Thankfully there have been no more reported deaths involving cyclists and pedestrians in WA at least since to my knowledge.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:43 am

Thanks Andrew, well pointed out. Many here need to take off their self-righteous tribal blinkers from time to time.

I have been looking for a while for a video clip I've seen of a cyclist riding highly dangerously (for peds) around a corner shop front door on a narrow footpath, dropped off the kerb without even looking and was crushed under a bus who happened to be going by and already occupied that space. A prime example of where a driver has NOT committed any offense or done anything even a smidgin wrong. Something for those that say that the simple fact of an accident MUST make any driver involved somewhat culpable.

This forum would have to be about the least tribal forum on the internet but we still are to some extent. The world needs less "tribal".
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:01 pm

Is the memorial I've passed recently at the junction of Altone and Marshall with a white bicycle connected with this?

My brother passed a cycle collision on Beechboro just below Marshall a few weeks back.