Re: PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Postby Tornado » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks @splitz

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm

I rode the bridge last Sunday. There were no signs to say not too. The approaches are gradual gradients with some gentle curves on and off the bridge.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Dale S

Postby Dale S » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Went through about 5:30 this morning and the majority of the lights are now working , the plastic covers at ends of bridge are still down, so not fully completed yet but an absolute delight to be able to use at least now. Saves me around 2.5kms each way detouring around Forrestfield.

splitz

Postby splitz » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 pm

I test rode last Sunday 30/July. Be careful coming down the slope heading towards Midland in wet weather. As you exit the bridge, through the entry to Chisolm Ave, there is crap all over the road. As you enter the PSP from the gate area there is a puddle. I found out the hard way that it's not just a shallow puddle but it had a pothole in the puddle. No crash or damage but almost! cheers
Last edited by splitz on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following me...."

Dale S

Postby Dale S » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 pm

I took some photos of the mulch all over path and lights not working along end of Chisholm and reported to MRD on Tuesday night, of course no response yet.
Was no warning signs up in the wet dark morning I went through. Lucky I was going slow and was able to stay upright.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Rode the new section yesterday. Pretty impressed. They need to tidy up the Chisolm connection as the path at the start is covered in crap.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:57 pm

How far north does the Roe Hwy path go to ?
Last time I rode it (some time ago) it stopped at Welshpool Rd.

Does it continue past Tonkin Hwy intersection?

Thanks

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Rex wrote:How far north does the Roe Hwy path go to ?
Last time I rode it (some time ago) it stopped at Welshpool Rd.

Does it continue past Tonkin Hwy intersection?

Thanks
Rex I answered last time you asked but it now goes to Berkshire Rd at which point it transitions to on-road cycle lanes/shoulder lanes.

Edit: Edit to add that the on-road lanes from Berkshire Rd disappear mid-block before reaching Maida Vale Rd. Leaving cyclists with nowhere to go except into the lane with 100kph traffic. It looks likes quite an elaborate death-trap with no legal way of escaping from it once you enter the road shoulders. Hopefully there is some signage at Berkshire Rd indicating that the cycle lanes do not connect through.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Nope, no signage. You just find yourself with a disappearing shoulder and no way to go back. One of the most diabolically fiendish ideas Main Roads has come up with to reduce cyclist numbers I have seen.....
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:00 pm

I finally got around to reporting the Chisholm Crescent / Roe Hwy gate that is usually facing me end on as I head east at night - quite a hazard as you come down from the rail bridge.
Had a hard time convincing the Kalamunda Shire chap that it either belonged to them or one of their rate payers but that either way, the day somebody connects with it that it would cost their ratepayers in general quite a tidy sum. He eventually conceded that perhaps he would go and have a look. From what I can tell the gate should only ever be opened to allow large truck bodies to enter Roe from Austin Engineering rather than providing a short cut onto Chisholm for workers going to or from work.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Crikey!!

chatted at about 2pm and it was all locked up when I went through at 5:30. My rates aren't completely going to waste.

Blade Runner

Postby Blade Runner » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:40 pm

yep, the gates were shut yesterday morning but now you can see where cars/trucks are driving onto the bike path to get around the locked gates...

It wont be long before the path fails under the weight

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Path should be OK now - because it is a combination lock with an obviously well known setting, some good citizen has re-opened it. Back to square one I guess.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:54 pm

Had my first go on this path - quite impressed. Okay the top bit below Guilford Rd is a park and a road, but after that the best I've been on since moving here. I have W. Swan to suffer.

If I end up doing FIFO I know a way to get there.

The Gateway website mentions future upgrades between the bridge and Stanton - I didn't see anything amiss

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:25 pm

I have seen people driving around the gate at the beginning of Chisolm where is comes off the Roe Highway. They drive up onto the bike path and around the gate. Careful if you come down the hill at speed and are not anticipating traffic coming from your right.

You shouldn't have to though as that is what the gate is for.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Tornado wrote:I have seen people driving around the gate at the beginning of Chisolm where is comes off the Roe Highway. They drive up onto the bike path and around the gate. Careful if you come down the hill at speed and are not anticipating traffic coming from your right.

You shouldn't have to though as that is what the gate is for.
And again this morning. Different car though.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:02 am

Am going to do the Roe and Leech branches next week as I build up to the distance some of you guys and gals do to commute.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Tornado wrote:
And again this morning. Different car though.
Yes, it needs two or three bollards to close the gap at the end of the gate. At least the gate itself has been fixed up, closed and locked instead of just hanging in the breeze like it was a few weeks ago.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Wixxy wrote:Am going to do the Roe and Leech branches next week as I build up to the distance some of you guys and gals do to commute.
Please be aware that the Leach Hwy section has an uncontrolled road crossings at the Acton Ave exit from Leach Hwy. It isn't a bad intersection as the road is one-way it is just a bit of a surprise when the rest of the road crossings are grade separated.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Had a good look around the end section two weeks ago.

Berkshire Rd, Gateway WA map shows a long path existing coming back to Berkshire Rd from the next road Maida Vale on Roe, unlike the other side seems to be full length between the 2 roads?

At Hale Rd I was told by a passing cyclist the shoulder continues along Tonkin to just before Albany Hwy, where you must exit?

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Going south on Tonkin you don't have to wait until Albany Hwy to get off the shoulder. There's a proper dedicated path off the side that starts at the Mills Rd junction and runs for about 10 km all the way to where Tonkin ends at Thomas Rd.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks Scirocco.

roller

Postby roller » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:31 pm

hey team..

forgive me for asking something that might have been answered up thread already - but keen to know how much of Tonkin/roe is PSP.

I'm keen to do a loop from Tonkin (getting on somewhere around Guildford road interchange or Great Eastern highway) down to Roe and then back to the Freeway and then up freeway & home.

ROE: I just had a look on google street view and it looks like there's a PSP from the Freeway along Roe all the way to Welshpool road - then it just disappears?

TONKIN: is there a PSP along the section from GE highway to intersection with Roe?

Or is it fragmented (as some of the comments above tend to suggest) and you have to make do with the shoulder of the actual highway at times?
inflammatory statement or idea

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:48 pm

roller wrote: I'm keen to do a loop from Tonkin (getting on somewhere around Guildford road interchange or Great Eastern highway) down to Roe and then back to the Freeway and then up freeway & home.

I Did much the same route going in the other direction. I don't think Google maps has caught up yet.
You should be able to find the route from this link; https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26618328

From Guilford Rd, head down River Rd. Cross under Tonkin at Dunstone Rd. From there it's pretty average concrete shared path until you get to the new bit of Tonkin. Then it's all PSP back to Perth.

roller

Postby roller » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:I Did much the same route going in the other direction. I don't think Google maps has caught up yet.
You should be able to find the route from this link; https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26618328

From Guilford Rd, head down River Rd. Cross under Tonkin at Dunstone Rd. From there it's pretty average concrete shared path until you get to the new bit of Tonkin. Then it's all PSP back to Perth.
thanks so much for that, any idea where the new path on Tonkin kicks in?
inflammatory statement or idea