PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Cycleops70

Re: PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:51 pm

roller wrote:thanks so much for that, any idea where the new path on Tonkin kicks in?
It starts at Selby Park/Greenshields way
Last edited by Cycleops70 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roller

Postby roller » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:20 pm

thank you :D
inflammatory statement or idea

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 pm

scirocco wrote:Going south on Tonkin you don't have to wait until Albany Hwy to get off the shoulder. There's a proper dedicated path off the side that starts at the Mills Rd junction and runs for about 10 km all the way to where Tonkin ends at Thomas Rd.
Turning off right at Mills Rd is a pain in the a_se. Made to turn left go up the hill through the roundabout and back down to get across - heading in to Gosnell. :D The crossing didn't go to the side I needed (unless I wanted to cycle back the way I came, and I didn't).

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 pm

roller wrote:
Cycleops70 wrote:You should be able to find the route from this link; https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26618328
thanks so much for that, any idea where the new path on Tonkin kicks in?
As per Cycleops70 's link and as I recall it, heading SE from coming over the Tonkin Hway Bridge; you come out from underneath the GE Hway Bridge Underpass; you skirt around Selby Park in Reclcliffe. There's a good water fountain at that park for a top up if need be.

Took me a few goes from different directions to get the new Leech H'way/Abernethy interchanges clear in my head. Some of those curling on/off ramp paths did my head for a bit.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Wixxy wrote:
scirocco wrote:Going south on Tonkin you don't have to wait until Albany Hwy to get off the shoulder. There's a proper dedicated path off the side that starts at the Mills Rd junction and runs for about 10 km all the way to where Tonkin ends at Thomas Rd.
Turning off right at Mills Rd is a pain in the a_se. Made to turn left go up the hill through the roundabout and back down to get across - heading in to Gosnell. :D The crossing didn't go to the side I needed (unless I wanted to cycle back the way I came, and I didn't).
Can anyone who knows this junction comment whether I got this wrong when wanting to go right but having to go on a "detour" due to the All Bicycles sign? The crossing doesn't help you to get to the right side. Thanks.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Wixxy wrote:
Wixxy wrote:
Can anyone who knows this junction comment whether I got this wrong when wanting to go right but having to go on a "detour" due to the All Bicycles sign? The crossing doesn't help you to get to the right side. Thanks.
If I understand correctly you are on the shoulder of Tonkin Hwy heading Southbound and want to turn right into Mills Rd W in order to go to Gosnells.

Firstly, "All Bicycles" signs are advisory only (so far as I understand the Road Traffic Code, this is not legal advice etc.) so there is nothing preventing you from staying on the road and moving into the right turn lane (though whether you can do this safely will be a matter of judgement). A second option would be to move into the left lane of the road and then perform a hook turn. Finally, the option that I would probably use is to exit onto the footpath, cross over the slip lane and use the ped crossing to cross across Mills Rd E (walking if there aren't cycle lanterns), stopping just short of the pedestrian island and placing my bike in the shoulder and then moving off when Mills Rd E gets a green light (this is basically a ghetto hook turn). You will be reliant on other traffic activating the lights but my recollection is it is a relatively busy cross road.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Yes Scott, your right on the location.

Am surprised that All Bicycles maybe advisory - be interesting to see other views on this.

On the ghetto hook turn - I did think of it at the time walking across and dropping my bike off the island behind the lights. Is it legal to do Scott?
And will the lights not also change on a timed sequence?

Thanks as always for the reply.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Wixxy wrote:Am surprised that All Bicycles maybe advisory - be interesting to see other views on this.
It is illegal to contravene the directions on a traffic sign, as per Road Rule 301, but"traffic sign" is a defined term in the Code where "traffic sign" means one of the road signs, marks, structures or devices set out in Schedule 2 or 3 placed, or erected, on or near a road;

If you follow the links to Schedule 2 and 3 you will not find the All Bicycles sign so, by definition, it isn't a traffic sign and is not illegal to contravene it.
Wixxy wrote:On the ghetto hook turn - I did think of it at the time walking across and dropping my bike off the island behind the lights. Is it legal to do Scott?
Provided you don't break Rule 57 (give way to anyone already there) I can't see how it would be illegal. The way I would do it is technically illegal as I would just walk from the pedestrian crossing into the shoulder which involves walking outside a crossing but I have never seen the police enforce pedestrian crossing laws outside of specific blitzes in the CBD but if you walk onto the island and then come back onto the road you don't have that problem.

I do something similar when I am on the footpath on the Southern side of St Georges Terrace where there is a solid median curb and want to go East on the road, I wait at a crosswalk for a green pedestrian light, walk my bike over to the lanes on the far side and just mount up and start riding.
Wixxy wrote:And will the lights not also change on a timed sequence?
On most highways the lights will not change to the crossroad unless they detect a vehicle waiting. Vehicle sensors are usually cut-in after the road surface is laid leaving a thin groove in the road surface in the shape of a sideways LED clock 8. Position your bike directly over the centre seam in the 8 and it should be enough to trigger the lights (even the drivetrain on a carbon bike should be enough to trigger it).

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Just a heads up that the double G/caltrop is rampantly germinating particularly around the southern end of the Welshpool/Orrong bridge. The expected rain over the weekend will no doubt spurn it on. I pulled about 150 plants (lost count) this morning, including some quite large specimens.

My apologies to the rider who abused me as he rode past on the path for "blocking the whole f path with your f stupid f recumbent", I will try to do better next time.

cheers
chuck
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 pm

chuckchunder wrote:.... to the rider who abused me as he rode past on the path for "blocking the whole f path with your f stupid f recumbent"
He must have had a lapse in concentration and thought he was behind the wheel of his car with that sort of knee jerk agro.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi all,

Has the PSP been extended along Roe Hwy, from Berkshire Rd north to Maida Vale Rd?
I'll be on it at 5:30am on Sunday to get to Kalamunda Rd

Or should I just turn off Berkshire and go north up Hawtin Rd?

Thanks!

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Rex wrote:Hi all,

Has the PSP been extended along Roe Hwy, from Berkshire Rd north to Maida Vale Rd?
I'll be on it at 5:30am on Sunday to get to Kalamunda Rd

Or should I just turn off Berkshire and go north up Hawtin Rd?

Thanks!
Based on Dec 2018 aerial photos the PSP Northbound still terminates at Berkshire. There is a wide shoulder with bike symbols continuing North on Roe from Berkshire that goes for the length of the entry ramp then abruptly finishes and leaves you with nowhere to go but to ride in the lane.

I wouldn't recommend continuing on Roe. On the other hand, the roundabout at Berkshire/Hale/Hawtin is the most recent place I was overtaken on the wrong side of the road through a roundabout (i.e. the overtaking car went through the roundabout anticlockwise) so it might not be that much safer to go that way.
Last edited by Scott_C on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Yeah I agree, I might get off Berkshire then cut through Apricot/Brucer/Brewer to get to the BP.
I've done it before in the dark.... no traffic at all.

Thanks!

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 pm

Ridden through there the last few weekends, definitely finishes at Berkshire.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 am

When they put in the short section of path after Berkshire on Roe Hwy did they do it with the intention of putting in a wide shoulder all the way up to Maida Vale?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Wixxy wrote:When they put in the short section of path after Berkshire on Roe Hwy did they do it with the intention of putting in a wide shoulder all the way up to Maida Vale?
No. It stops where the roadworks for the Gateway WA project stopped at the end of the on-ramp merge.

You can see the intentional gap between Berkshire and Maida Vale on the PSP Expansion Project Map if you zoom in heavily to see the cross roads (note that there are also grid lines on the map so you need to figure out what is a grid line and what is a road): https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFi ... ramMap.pdf

They plan to install cycling infrastructure between Maida Vale and Kalamunda Rd as part of the future Kalamunda Rd intersection upgrade but there is no plan to do anything between Berkshire and Maida Vale because the road there doesn't need an upgrade. Typical Main Roads WA planning.

Rex

Postby Rex » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Rode the 'detour' through Apricot etc this morning.
0 traffic, nice and scenic. A++ will ride again.