Re: PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Postby Troy C » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Its going to be a while but well worth it
A not to steep / not zig zag lead in on the western side as well
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Orrong rd has got a closure in the evenings over the next 4 nights. Hoping to see the bridge laid down now over the next few days. Still no bitumen on the western side of Orrong Rd, and now they are putting up fencing on top of the "limestone" wall.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

tomness

Postby tomness » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:29 pm

The bridge is up and I saw a worker walking across it this morning. i guess now we need to wait for the path to be laid, lines to be painted, railing to be erected etc.

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm

tomness wrote:The bridge is up and I saw a worker walking across it this morning. i guess now we need to wait for the path to be laid, lines to be painted, railing to be erected etc.
And lighting, which often seems to be the last part to be completed.

I drove under it yesterday and was pretty excited - that will complete a lovely 60km PSP circuit :D

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed May 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi
I've been off for a while hanging out with my newborn boy. How are they doing with the PSP? Getting any closer to the due by late 2016 deadline? LOL

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Tornado wrote:Hi
I've been off for a while hanging out with my newborn boy. How are they doing with the PSP? Getting any closer to the due by late 2016 deadline? LOL
I think the late 2016 deadline was for the at-grade, signalised crossing option. One of Minister Nalder's good acts was stepping in to get us a bridge but it pushed the timeline back. I haven't been past for a few weeks so not sure if it's ready to go soon...

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Tornado wrote:Hi
I think the late 2016 deadline was for the at-grade, signalised crossing option. One of Minister Nalder's good acts was stepping in to get us a bridge but it pushed the timeline back. I haven't been past for a few weeks so not sure if it's ready to go soon...
Maybe I should take the incentive and go for a long ride to have a look. Must be close surely.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Wed May 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Tornado wrote:Maybe I should take the incentive and go for a long ride to have a look. Must be close surely.
Just be aware the limestone goat track detour path, despite my best efforts, is now infested with double gee. I managed four punctures riding through there two weeks ago.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

tomness

Postby tomness » Thu May 11, 2017 12:50 pm

The bridge is still not open. I saw workmen up there again this morning, and the ends of the bridge are blocked off with cones and machinery.

I am not sure what they up on the bridge work, as I am driving underneath. The railing has been up for a while. It appears that they still have some work making good the transitions from the bridge to the ramped pathway approaches.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 am

There is an 80kph zone on Roe Hwy just after Orrong Rd now where they are putting up barriers. Also I'm pretty sure it's still dirt on the eastern side of the bridge as I saw a roller and a few other heavy machinery.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Slow Motion

Postby Slow Motion » Mon May 15, 2017 2:56 pm

went thru the goat track on Saturday, had to dismount the Tarmac and lock the hub's in...

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm

The new bike lane over the west side of the Roe Hwy bridge is now fully sealed and they are not even bothering closing the construction site gates at the north (Sheffield Road) end any more. But the last couple of hundred metres south to Orrong Road are still a building site. They haven't even got the civil work completed to link up the Roe Hwy bridge path with the new Orrong Rd overbridge, let alone having it sealed and ready for use.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Tue May 30, 2017 10:07 am

Didn't have a close look but appears that the eastern side is also now sealed.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Tue May 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Oops. Must have my other half's navigation running. Make that the western side sealed. No lines marked yet.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed May 31, 2017 10:49 am

The lines were marked on the dead-end section from Sheffield Rd to just north of Orrong when I rode down there on Saturday. The lights are up and the construction gates blocking the path have been taken down. That section looks quite finished.
However, it's a dead end as there are gates just north of the Orrong Rd area. The earthworks for the ramp to connect the path with the new Orrong Rd overbridge are coming on but there is still a lot to do, and at normal WA construction pace I would guess at least a couple of months before it's open.

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:12 am

At the dead end do you have to return to Tonkin Highway or can you cut through to Hale? I've always taken Hale from Tonkin to Orrong, would be nice to be able to duck in onto the PSP sooner but I've never tried.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Mailed the MRD and the response I got today was, "Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the Roe PSP bridge. I am advised that the bridge will be completed in mid-June. The PSP should open soon afterwards."

splitz

Postby splitz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:40 pm

I took a gander this arvo. I rode East on Roe PSP from Leeming end. I had driven past and seen the Western approach to the overpass had been sealed but the Eastern side was still road base. Today I thought I could jump a barrier and ride up the overpass for an Eagle's view. Jumped 1st barrier about 300m West of Orrong but the entry at start of overpass is closed off with a padlocked cyclone gate which was too high to scale :(

It seemed about a week from when I noticed the road base to when the western side was sealed so mid-june seems about right.

Hopefully they'll open it to cycle traffic before adding the lights and lines as I can live without those!

This will provide me a much better ride to work from Leeming to Cloverdale, all cycleway except for 2kms of back streets in Cloverdale!

I can't wait!
"....just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following me...."

Dale S

Postby Dale S » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Go past this twice a week riding to work at Perth Airport and disappointed every time I go past as very little seems to happen and workmen as scarce as hens teeth.
The lights are up on western side now, but still no lines painted or wire fences up in areas where you can run off path. No way will this be open in July sadly.
One of the guys I work with, asked one of the workers there when they were lifting bridge sections in place when it will be finished, and was told August, at the current pace they are going I think he meant August 2018.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Not sure you're talking about the same place as previously in this thread. The new Roe Highway west side path on the bridge over the railway is fully completed, sealed, lights, fences, markings etc. all the way south from the existing path at Sheffield Road to within a stones throw of Orrong Road. (Still a dead end at that point though due to construction gates).
The new Orrong Road overpass bridge was put in a couple of months ago and they have been working on both sides to build the ramps up to it. Most of the earthworks on both sides are complete and quite a few of the spiral ramps are sealed now. Looks like they just need a few railings and lights to go up and finishing touches. I see no reason why July or August shouldn't be on.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:58 pm

yeah, a friend of mine rode from one side to the other on Sunday. The bridge over Orrong Rd is luxuriously wide! From what I saw I'd agree, August is believable.... I mean what my friend saw.....
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:13 am

Nice! I might have to get my friend to ride across it on the weekend :D

splitz

Postby splitz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:41 pm

chuckchunder wrote:yeah, a friend of mine rode from one side to the other on Sunday. The bridge over Orrong Rd is luxuriously wide! From what I saw I'd agree, August is believable.... I mean what my friend saw.....
He musta been on a MTB as the East/Midland side is still unsealed (road base) and barricaded on The West (Freo) side and at the start of the old overpass!

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 pm

wexford wrote:Nice! I might have to get my friend to ride across it on the weekend :D
My friend noted that a little "orienteering" was required, and his dad always told him to leave gates and fences as you find them....... he also noted tracks on the pavement from where others had ridden off the limestone apparently on bikes with narrow tyres.....

splitz

Postby splitz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 pm

I drove past this arvo (AT) 4.45pm and noticed that the PSP has been sealed on the Eastern/Midland side of the Welshpool Rd cycle/footbridge. It's still barricaded off where it meets the old road surface though.