Traversing Leach to/from Tonkin

HappyHumber

Traversing Leach to/from Tonkin

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Without time to kill & explore; I'm trying to work out how much useable length of PSP there is from Tonkin back SW along Leach Hway.

I see Google Maps doesn't have all the stretches of the new Tonkin path; and I'm a bit dubious about what I can see of the Leach stretches when comparing the aerial images vs. the maps. I'm guessing the best I can hope for is picking it up somewhere not too far NE of the Oorong/Leach intersection.

I would've just chanced the Leach PSP heading SW a couple of times I was trying to traverse it recently, but missed the signage and ended up along Abernethy & Kewdale Rds each time; which is less desirable at certain times of day than others.

I know we're all hanging out for the Roe/Tonkin Interchange; but making sense of the current alternatives is doing my nut.

My general trajectory is from home in the Cannington area, to work in Midvale.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Wixxy

Re: Traversing Leach to/from Tonkin

Postby Wixxy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Put a Sat or Sun aside and have a go maybe? I don't know Leach, is there no provision on it for cycles?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Time is tight at the moment. Was hoping for replies from those familar with stretches alluded to, or share a common commute portion around traversinng Welshpool to/fro Redcliffe. The other bits & burbs I'm more happy to leisurely tune during my commutes
--

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Without time to kill & explore; I'm trying to work out how much useable length of PSP there is from Tonkin back SW along Leach Hway.

I see Google Maps doesn't have all the stretches of the new Tonkin path; and I'm a bit dubious about what I can see of the Leach stretches when comparing the aerial images vs. the maps. I'm guessing the best I can hope for is picking it up somewhere not too far NE of the Oorong/Leach intersection.

I would've just chanced the Leach PSP heading SW a couple of times I was trying to traverse it recently, but missed the signage and ended up along Abernethy & Kewdale Rds each time; which is less desirable at certain times of day than others.

I know we're all hanging out for the Roe/Tonkin Interchange; but making sense of the current alternatives is doing my nut.

My general trajectory is from home in the Cannington area, to work in Midvale.
Hi Kym - the Leach Hwy PSP runs from Tonkin Hwy to Jeffrey St in Kewdale. It has an underpass at Abernethy Rd and an at-grade crossing of the left turn slip into Acton Ave. Jeffrey St then a left turn into Kew St will take you to Orrong Rd, where you can pick up your usual routes.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 pm

wellington_street wrote:Hi Kym - the Leach Hwy PSP runs from Tonkin Hwy to Jeffrey St in Kewdale. It has an underpass at Abernethy Rd and an at-grade crossing of the left turn slip into Acton Ave. Jeffrey St then a left turn into Kew St will take you to Orrong Rd, where you can pick up your usual routes.
Thanks. Just the sort of info I'm chasing. I might try and pick that up heading NE to work next week. Heading all the way into East Perth and out the railway line was a pain in the butt.

Got me flummoxed though how twice I missed any Leach PSP signage heading back down the Tonkin path. I am thinking now I must've already been on it, and then unecessarily taken a Abernethy Rd deviation the first time.
--

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:15 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Hi Kym - the Leach Hwy PSP runs from Tonkin Hwy to Jeffrey St in Kewdale. It has an underpass at Abernethy Rd and an at-grade crossing of the left turn slip into Acton Ave. Jeffrey St then a left turn into Kew St will take you to Orrong Rd, where you can pick up your usual routes.
Thanks. Just the sort of info I'm chasing. I might try and pick that up heading NE to work next week. Heading all the way into East Perth and out the railway line was a pain in the butt.

Got me flummoxed though how twice I missed any Leach PSP signage heading back down the Tonkin path. I am thinking now I must've already been on it, and then unecessarily taken a Abernethy Rd deviation the first time.
I think the turn onto Leach is a 'wrong way' turn - i.e. if you're heading south on Tonkin you need to turn left to go down Leach Hwy, whereas you would expect to turn right. The turn is just before the first underpass if you're heading south.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Against my earlier grumblings, I actually did a reccy ride on the weekend. From via Tomlinson & Planet in Welshpool, I picked up and followed Kew St to its end in Kewdale parralleling the Leach PSP, took the PSP entrance path from Whiteside and followed the Leach PSP back deliberately to Jeffery back onto Kew. Peeth of pith, really

In all honesty, I kind of prefered the Kew option as I explored it. I prefer residential streets to the bare open exposure of the PSP right against the H'way itself. But, my mood may change depending on the day & the prevailing winds. Always nice to know the options.

Thanks for the input though guys.

Next is working out the more agreeable way of picking up the Midland Line Path vs. negotiating the cluster fluff around Guildford Rd/Tonkin intersections. Plan is at this stage to follow Hardy Rd & Kenny Streets through Ashfield to cross Guildford at the Wilson St. pedestrian underpass in Bassendean. Hoping to dramatically cut the number of daft rail & road crossings.
--