Greenwood Station - Shared Path

Greenwood Station - Shared Path

Postby karadoc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:27 am

At Greenwood station there is a shared path. Its really rough and bumpy ride through there. They have tried to patch parts of it up but the results are still the same. Seems like they are content with work and are not willing to put anymore effort into this section (I have contacted DPI in regards to this). Does anyone else share the same thoughts on this? If so, what alternative (if any) routes do you take to avoid this?
karadoc

by BNA » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:00 am

BNA

Postby rolandp » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:00 am

Karadoc, this is due to the dual-use path being constructed out of concrete. They don't cover roads (or at least not in Perth) with it, but someone thought it would be great for the dual-use paths.

I actually took video footage of a similar area in Stirling (just south of Karrinyup Rd), provided copies to Main Roads, DPI and City of Stirling, and, no action at this time. However, don't let this stop you as you need to constantly hound Main Roads and DPI, in particular if you believe it is a safety issue. With a change of government in WA, I may be getting out that DVD this week-end to pass onto the new Minister for Planning. I may want to point out that I'm paying over $500 a year road tax for a car that I travel around 5,000km annually, compared to 12,000km on the bike.

There is no real alternative route, unless you want to head east to Wanneroo Rd, or cut through Greenwood somehow. There is nothing on the other side of the freeway, as you've got Pinneroo reserve. I've moved back onto a MTB, as it makes the ride seem a little smoother than the old road-bike I was using.
rolandp

Postby karadoc » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:28 am

rolandp wrote: I actually took video footage of a similar area in Stirling (just south of Karrinyup Rd)

Just before the bridge that leads to Stirling Council?

I just got myself a road bike (second hand). Hadn't ridden it yet as I want to get it serviced first. Reason why I'm asked the original question was because I rode a hybrid for the past year. The wheels are completely hammered (buckled?). Before you ask....no, i dont jump kerbs or do anything rough with my bike. I actually take care of EVERYTHING i own :o
The only conclusion I can come up with is the path at Greenwood and after Karrinyup Rd (heading south) had caused the damage.

So my plan. Can't be stuffed with the DPI. What can they do? Eg Hutton St.

Current solution
Greenwood - up onto the main road head, towards the school and use the shared path back onto my route.
Stirling - going to use Odin Road.
karadoc

Return to Western Australia