Rider down Riverside Drive near Plain St

hiflange

Rider down Riverside Drive near Plain St

Postby hiflange » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:38 pm

A cyclist in his sixties has been seriously injured early this morning after a collision with a rental truck. The news report says he had no light however a rear light is clearly on on the bike in the footage from the scene.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 41db88606f

Mububban

Re: Rider down Riverside Drive near Plain St

Postby Mububban » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Is that just the reflection from the camera lights on a rear reflector?

"Black bike, no lights, the rider was not overly visible...." but isn't Riverside Dve fully lit?
I remember a driver being charged after running over a guy wearing black, lying on the road at night, on an unlit street. The judge still thought the driver should have been able to see and avoid him. Different rules if you're a cyclist?

Hope the rider is okay. Good that the driver also stopped to help. I despise hit and run drivers that know they've hit someone.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

XIX

Postby XIX » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:59 pm

I live on Terrace Rd (other side of langley park), so this is basically on my doorstep.

I am not making any excuses here as it pisses me off the way we are tossed aside by the media (Perthnow has the heading, Bike crashes into truck), but if you are riding on the road in the dark (irrelevant of bike colour and everything else), then you have to have bright lights front and back else you should basically expect no one in front of you will see you, very hard to blame the truck driver if the bike didn't have a front light.

Also a major problem with Riverside drive is that its full of palms through the middle, so the lighting is very poor (especially at dawn).

Hope the rider makes a full recovery.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Mububban wrote:Is that just the reflection from the camera lights on a rear reflector?
If you watch the video it's clear that it's the bike light. the lights in the background are flashing, the bike light is not.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Hmmm. On Riverside Drive at that time of morning. My first thought was that I can't see much reason for a vehicle to NOT be able to pull over into another lane. However ti appears that the rider was turning off the Drive onto Plain St which opens up all manner of possibilities.

Yes, Riverside Drive does have lighting. But it's pretty average. There is no substitute for your own mounted and worn lights which, these days, are as bright as you want them to be.

At the moment it is hard to make any judgement on what happened. It will be interesting (or alarming) to hear how the story pans out.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

XIX

Postby XIX » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:08 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Hmmm. On Riverside Drive at that time of morning. My first thought was that I can't see much reason for a vehicle to NOT be able to pull over into another lane. However ti appears that the rider was turning off the Drive onto Plain St which opens up all manner of possibilities.

Yes, Riverside Drive does have lighting. But it's pretty average. There is no substitute for your own mounted and worn lights which, these days, are as bright as you want them to be.

At the moment it is hard to make any judgement on what happened. It will be interesting (or alarming) to hear how the story pans out.
Thankfully the rider seems to be ok, bar some serious broken bones.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:35 pm

In a follow up story the driver of the truck involved in this incident has been charged with careless driving causing grievous bodily harm. Unfortunately, the rider's injuries look like they will permanently keep him off his bike.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 35d017e2b4

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm

When the day comes I can no longer cycle, I'll be heartbroken. If it's due to old age, I'll accept it though. But if it's because some (expletive) head knocks me off and breaks my body's ability to ride, that'll be a hard one to accept and process.

I hope he's able to overcome the vertigo and it doesn't plague him for the rest of his life.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!