3 Dams challenge for 2018

Mububban

Re: 3 Dams challenge for 2018

Postby Mububban » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Hugor wrote:Pedal Mafia are notorious for their small sizing. Their like Castelli in this regard. When you carry 100kgs of bloke around you learn which brands to avoid! When the Dams ride was initially released the largest jersey was XL and this was 12cm too small for my chest size! I'm normally an XL in common brands like Assos or Cycology. I wrote to them telling them there'd be a lot of unhappy people and they increased their jersey sizes to 6XL. I ordered a 4XL based on the sizing chart and it is only just acceptable! There are lots of people on the BWA FB page requesting swaps, one even requesting a swap from a Medium to a 2XL! LOL

I got so spooked by that first hill in the buildup that I actually found it not bad at all. The final 2 hills were much more testing for me.

The Albany Hwy stretch was not much fun at all but I guess was a necessary evil to link the dams.

Great event.
I wore my trusty R2-D2 jersey and regular knicks. I'll save my Dams crop top jersey for wearing with my bib shorts :D

Me and my ride mate got blown around by a semi passing us at speed in the near lane on Albany Hwy. That was not fun.
That and the 5-6 dead roos on the side of the road putting out some mighty powerful stench you could almost chew on!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Well done all that rode.... I also had a great day and loved the stretch through to Albany Hwy but the bit along the highway (traffic, stench, coarse road) and the climb up through Roleystone (just way too steep for a big man - although I didn't need to walk, just) were definitely the low lights.

Anything else that others thought was either great, good or not so good?

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:29 pm

NewStew wrote:Well done all that rode.... I also had a great day and loved the stretch through to Albany Hwy but the bit along the highway (traffic, stench, coarse road) and the climb up through Roleystone (just way too steep for a big man - although I didn't need to walk, just) were definitely the low lights.

Anything else that others thought was either great, good or not so good?
I thought the new 3 Dams route was pretty good .... I thought that the sting in the tail (Peet & Urch) right at the end was a bit of a #$%^&^ but I saw lots climb it so I'm sure there are some pretty tired but satisfied riders out there.

My main gripe is the short hop tying to cross Albany Highway in Kelmscott.... I got stuck at 3 sets of traffic lights: one at Alb Hwy turning onto Denny Ave and then 2 on Denny Ave... probably spent about 5 min just waiting for lights and dodging traffic... I can't see an easier way across if we come home via Roleystone as there aren't too many crossings across the highway unless next time we come down Mills Rd East, left at Cockram, follow around to Connell Ave and pick up the bike path at Tonkin until the next interchange at Corfield Street... hop off the bike path at Corfield and continue on the road around the corner to Lakes Rd and you're at the finish line... one continuous route and no traffic lights.

Anyway - well done to all those who did/tried the ride... I've got unfinished business with the 3 Dams so try again next year.

cheers

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 pm

So yeah, ticked the Five Dams off the list. Puckered up Peet and lurched up Urch but the worst for me was that little climb up to Canning Dam from McNess Dve. Had a ball, and hammered the last five k's into the finish, cause marathon runners sprint to the finish don't they?

Disappointed there was no water stop between Churchman Brook Dam (and there wasn't one there either when I went through) and Canning Dam, that's a long stretch for the two recommended bottles to last.....
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

billy70

Postby billy70 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:15 am

A pretty well organized event, with a perfect day for riding. I really don’t like the stretch along Albany Hwy, but it’s a necessary evil For guess.

Two things that’s BWA must address for Five Dams route;
1. Crossing Tonkin Hwy. It’s 100 kph speed limit and just too dangerous.
2. Too long without a water stop prior to Canning Dam.

Everything else seemed to work well, some amazing volunteers who gave their time so generously and always had a smile :D

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 pm

billy70 wrote:A pretty well organized event, with a perfect day for riding. I really don’t like the stretch along Albany Hwy, but it’s a necessary evil For guess.

Two things that’s BWA must address for Five Dams route;
1. Crossing Tonkin Hwy. It’s 100 kph speed limit and just too dangerous.
2. Too long without a water stop prior to Canning Dam.

Everything else seemed to work well, some amazing volunteers who gave their time so generously and always had a smile :D

1. I crossed using the pedestrian crossing lights and into Bygum Lane. I guess that would have been harder if there were lots of bikes around....

cheers

chuck
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

XIX

Postby XIX » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 pm

twowheels wrote:
Mububban wrote:So this is what a "large" jersey looks like on 189cm and 68kg :D

If you're not really skinny, good luck zipping it up and getting your arms in the sleeves!
Think you got one of the podium girls' top.
This looks too big for you, very loose, you would be better off in a medium. I am 183 and 95kg and fit the XL fine, in fact its prob a bit long. Yeh its tight, which is how I like it to be honest, unzip up hills, skin tight down.

Event was good, preferred last year. The lack of signage into the lunch spot was a really poor oversight.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Very loose? What photo are you looking at :D It's the tightest jersey I own without having it modified, but it barely covers my belly button. A medium will show my floating ribs :D

I'll happily wear it with my bib shorts.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

XIX

Postby XIX » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Mububban wrote:Very loose? What photo are you looking at :D It's the tightest jersey I own without having it modified, but it barely covers my belly button. A medium will show my floating ribs :D

I'll happily wear it with my bib shorts.
Pro fit jerseys are meant to be skin tight. There is way too much loose fabric on that. You would def be a size down.

Yeh with your height and weight combo I expect most pro fit stuff will be too short.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:36 am

XIX wrote:Pro fit jerseys are meant to be skin tight. There is way too much loose fabric on that. You would def be a size down.

Yeh with your height and weight combo I expect most pro fit stuff will be too short.
I'm not pro in any sense, so the fit of this one is fine for me :)

I have to buy for length and get my local tailor to take it in. The resulting fit is better, not perfect, but for the $12 he charges me, it makes a big improvement.

XIX

Postby XIX » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 pm

The reason for compression is performance and recovery, but it is true that it can be less than flattering and somewhat uncomfortable initially.

I can imagine that must be a pain, I have similar issues because of my fat neck hahaha , I used to tear my sports shirts so I could breath properly during a game.

Mububban wrote:
XIX wrote:Pro fit jerseys are meant to be skin tight. There is way too much loose fabric on that. You would def be a size down.

I'm not pro in any sense, so the fit of this one is fine for me :)

I have to buy for length and get my local tailor to take it in. The resulting fit is better, not perfect, but for the $12 he charges me, it makes a big improvement.