Kalamunda 100

Mububban

Kalamunda 100

Postby Mububban » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm thinking about signing up for this event as a warmup to the 3 Dams in April. To get more hills riding in, as well as get used to riding in a group event. It's right near my birthday too so the entry fee can be my birthday present :)

https://www.bwa.org.au/events/826/

DATE: Sunday, 25 February 2018

CHECK-IN: open from 5:45am

START TIME: from 6:30am

LOCATION: Pickering Brook Sports Club, Weston Road, Pickering Brook

COURSE
A - 97km hilly lap course. Test your legs and condition yourself for the 2017 Dams Challenge

B - 50km through undulating terrain including Pickering Brook and Mundaring Weir
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Re: Kalamunda 100

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 pm

So this is the profile for Sunday...me and my skinny legs are getting a bit nervous now....

Family life and a minor injury have prevented me from doing much specific hill training, so I'm hoping to survive on pacing myself and "sit and spin."
That and staying hydrated and regular energy gels (SIS is the event sponsor which is handy)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 am

I survived the Kalamunda 100! That is definitely the hardest I’ve pushed myself on a bike (I am not hardcore).
I joined a couple of random guys doing about my own pace, one stronger than me and one a bit weaker on the climbs, and we tootled along at a comfortable pace. 0-50km for the first lap felt really good. My legs started to feel a bit heavy around 60-70km, and the second climb out of Mundaring Weir around 80-90km in almost made me crack.

I was regularly eating small bites of home made energy bar, as well as SIS gels (they sponsored the event so we each got 3-4 free gels, plus what I'd brought) and I’m sure it helped keep my energy levels up. Interestingly, I almost felt like vomiting near the end of the last climbs. Probably due to having drunk so much, as well as all the gels? That and I was really pushing myself to keep going for the last 20km.
And as much energy as I burned, my stomach felt heavy and I didn't feel like eating anything until 7:30pm. After I did though, I felt back to normal.

The two guys I rode with said this was harder than 3 Dams. We did 1950m of elevation in 100km, whereas 3 Dams is 1400m elevation across 135km. Fingers crossed I survive that one!

So when I say I’m skinny and slow, I’m not being falsely modest :mrgreen: But I’m quite proud of my skinny legs and my 10kg bike finishing this event. I can even walk today so that’s also a win :)

owly

Postby owly » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 am

Well done.

Thinking about doing the 3 Dams.

I'm slow also. Maybe I'll be sitting behind you!
MUFC :twisted:

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Good job. I did this yesterday also, though I only did the B distance, as I've never climbed before.

I was looking at the 3 Dams too....but I think 135km hills is a very big step up from 50km hills. I was hoping for something nearer the 100km mark as my next challenge. There is a Duo Dams, but it includes a run....I do NOT run :lol:

got the 50km done in just under 2 hours yesterday, so I was happy with that for my first hit out, having never done much hills and never been in a "race" before either, so wasn't sure on how to pace myself etc. I actually started a second lap by mistake, having missed the turn off to the finish line ha ha. So I ended up doing 51.5km instead of the offical 49km, as I had to turn around and go back!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

owly wrote:Well done.

Thinking about doing the 3 Dams.

I'm slow also. Maybe I'll be sitting behind you!
I’ve got no regular riding buddies so I’m probably just be riding on my own and will tag along with anyone my own speed who wants to join up (like I did with some guys at Kalamunda 100). I’ll probably be wearing my R2-D2 jersey so say hi if you see me :)

novice_101 wrote:I was looking at the 3 Dams too....but I think 135km hills is a very big step up from 50km hills.

I’ve been told by several people that the Kala 100 is harder than the 3 Dams. And this year’s route is also easier than previous years.
Looking at the profile map, the first ~45km is fairly flat, and the final ~5km is a descent then flat again.

Kalamunda 100 had almost 2000m elevation in 100km:

Compare that to the 3 Dams with 1500m elevation across 135km:

The first climb (category 2) looks rather intimidating, I don’t know the area but looking at google maps, I think we’re riding south, cut east on Fisher Rd, a short ride north on S West Hwy, then as we turn east onto Kingsbury Dve it goes immediately into the climb.

novice_101 wrote:I actually started a second lap by mistake, having missed the turn off to the finish line ha ha. So I ended up doing 51.5km instead of the offical 49km, as I had to turn around and go back!!
I finished at a distance of 99.5km so just so it wouldn’t bug me, I rode one lap of the parking area to tick over 100km :D

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Yesterday's Kalamunda 100 almost broke me. I finished, and managed to take almost a quarter hour off my 2018 time (my new wheels are much better on the climbs) riding nearly entirely solo, but this has highlighted how far away from 100% I still am after being hit by a car late last year. Rides of under 70km are fine, but I've got a lot of work to do between now and the 3 Dams to get fitter and stronger.

It was only willpower that got me to complete the last 25km without walking or calling the sag wagon. It didn't help straining my left hammy and my right glute at badminton on Friday afternoon :shock: The hammy strain started cramping badly at the 70km mark.

Yesterday's effort:

2018's effort:

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Ah, I wondered what the event was while I was heading up to the Camel Farm on Sundeee. Looked a fair turn out of people and speeds. Congrats on your ride!

owly

Postby owly » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Well done. It was a bit warm/humid out there yesterday. Will be doing the 5 Dams this year. Have to hurry up and get the wheelset built up in time.
MUFC :twisted:

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:57 pm

Congrats on finishing yesterday!

If the 3 Dams route is the same as last year I reckon the climbs on Peet/Urch Rds were more of a shock than that initial climb up the scarp. I passed a couple of blokes walking those, not that there's anything wrong with that :)

It can be hard to pace yourself in those first kilometres on the flat, really easy to want to blat along without a care in the cool of the early morning.......
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Yeah the Kala100 was a great event. Weather was perfect and everyone we passed stayed left and no issues. Even the drivers were well behaved!
Completed the 100 (98) pretty much spot-on 3:30 so happy with that.