Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

Inspectorgadget

Re: Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:57 am

I had a reply from the Wanneroo Shire Ranger to say it was a Joondalup Shire area at the entrance to the track on Burns Beach Road.

I contacted Joondalup Shire who replied it wasn’t their area and to contact Wanneroo Shire.

I’d say by all means park on the concrete path there as there is no risk of getting an infringement.

They wouldn’t know if their own arse was on fire I suspect.

Funny. I will update when these clowns get their act together. If it happens.

Un-fxxxxxg-believable but true.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 am

rifraf wrote:I think between Scotts description and your map link Andrew that I've enough of an idea of where to be looking for the entry on Yanchep Beach Rd.
Now that I am home and on a browser made in the last decade here's a Google Streetview link to the trail entry from Yanchep Beach Rd heading South:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-31.554 ... 312!8i6656
rifraf wrote:I was going to say shame about the signage but of late I'm been struggling with the sheer numbers of traffic and much increased population in the greaterr Yanchep/Two Rocks area, so I'm actually glad the signage might be a little inadequate and look forward to what is hopefully a low patronage ride when I get around to doing it. :D
Yeah, the posted speed limits on the roads up that way are completely inappropriate for the amount of traffic that they now carry, particularly given the undulating nature of the terrain with so many blind crests. Fortunately you should be getting a PSP to at least Yanchep when the railway extension makes it way through in the next 4 years which will give you an off-road option.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Inspectorgadget wrote: I’d say by all means park on the concrete path there as there is no risk of getting an infringement.
Getting a fine is irrelevant.
The issue is being selfish and parking on a footpath (particularly as there is plenty of space to avoid that), thumbing your nose at people who want to use it.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:
Inspectorgadget wrote: I’d say by all means park on the concrete path there as there is no risk of getting an infringement.
Getting a fine is irrelevant.
The issue is being selfish and parking on a footpath (particularly as there is plenty of space to avoid that), thumbing your nose at people who want to use it.
I so far have never gone to the track entrance and not seen at least one car on the path. I suggested to Wanneroo Shire that they put a reminder sign it isn't for parking. Sensible idea I thought. Last visit the guy parking on the path was a guy I had seen on the track on a Mountain Bike. I saw him after I crossed the road as otherwise I might have said something.

I will find out which shire is responsible once they know who is responsible and might make that suggestion of signage to whoever turns out is responsible which at this point is nobody.

LOL.

Grant

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:12 am

Inspectorgadget wrote:I will find out which shire is responsible once they know who is responsible and might make that suggestion of signage to whoever turns out is responsible which at this point is nobody.

LOL.

Grant
City of Joondalup's online mapping tool shows the footpath as being within the City of Joondalup boundary:
http://maps.joondalup.wa.gov.au/intramaps80/

Perhaps you need to send them a screenshot from their own mapping tool with your next correspondence.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:34 am

[/quote]
City of Joondalup's online mapping tool shows the footpath as being within the City of Joondalup boundary:

Perhaps you need to send them a screenshot from their own mapping tool with your next correspondence.[/quote]

The border runs along Burns Beach Road which is why there seems to be contention I would guess.

Part of my correspondence...

"One of your rangers from Wanneroo contacted me by phone this week, I think Tuesday to tell me that the area falls under Joondalup shire council jurisdiction.

I contacted Joondalup Shire by email who tell me it is under Wanneroo Shire jurisdiction by return email.

It does look like it is Wanneroo shire. The boundary for Wanneroo runs along burns beach road opposite Blue Mountain Drive (which is Joondalup shire as it is south of the boundary) so whether that means one shire takes the north side and the other the south side or one takes both sides I don’t know.

It may be why everyone parks on the footpath opposite track as the Rangers from Wanneroo drive past thinking it is Joondalup shire responsibility and in the opposite direction the Ranger from Joondalup thinks it is Wanneroo shire responsibility and wonders how people get away with parking on the footpath all the time while waving at the Wanneroo ranger going past."

G

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Wanneroo Rangers finally checked the boundaries and have claimed the Entrance side as their responsibility.

I explained I wanted an official considered response as I felt the concrete area has been seen by many as a legitimate parking area. I suggested a sign if people are not allowed to park there and explained that the path is used extensively by walkers, runners and bicyclists.

Anyway, it has been an interesting and prolonged experience to what was a very simple question.

I agree it is probably illegal parking there but I feel it might be understandable that some people think it is for parking as it is opposite the entrance.

I’d still like to see signage rather than people getting tickets.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Letter below...I got a phone call from the same guy but I have had enough of what was supposed to be a simple enquiry.

The upshot is bicyclists should have no fear of getting a ticket where every you choose to park IMHO. It looks like a parking pad so I would use it just don't block the crossover point where the path is. It isn't a path as such anyway, just a crossover point.

I doubt if either shire would ticket you and the ticket would probably be contestable in court.

My two cents....

Hi Grant

I’m sorry to see that this issue has not been resolved yet.

I can confirm that The entire road reserve, including the pathway falls within the City of Joondalup boundary. I’ve even checked on the City of Joondalup’s publically available GIS system which clearly shows the City’s boundary (I’ve included the link below).

We have the same available and the two match up.

http://mapimage.net/intramaps80/?config ... 5c4d34312a

The trail itself does fall within the City of Wanneroo boundary but the land is part of Neerabup National Park, and is owned by the State Government and managed by Parks and Wildlife Service. Please do let me know if you have any more questions.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:37 am

Well final element of the story. Don't park on the path/concrete as Joondalup shire are aware of their mistake. Long story but finally they got it after checking the boundary maps.

They said they don't like protrusions...

"Vehicles can park on the verge, but no part of a vehicle can protrude on to any part of a footpath. Sorry for the confusion, we have all learnt something new today." - Joondalup shire.

Yup no protrusions and lots of confusions.

So no protrusions allowed. Someone said before Joondalup shire have a penchant for fining people so I expect a few people might get tickets.

I was pretty annoyed it took this long to sort out. Amazed really.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:42 pm

If you park on Woodvale Rd just near the school then you can enjoy a lovely scenic pootle along the bike path next to Joondalup lake.
This takes you to the trail head on Burns beach Rd after a few road crossings.
It looks like there's lots of gravel trails and single track around the lake also which I didn't try.
There's plenty of legal non confusing or debatable parking on Woodvale Rd!

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Hugor wrote:If you park on Woodvale Rd just near the school then you can enjoy a lovely scenic pootle along the bike path next to Joondalup lake.
It looks like there's lots of gravel trails and single track around the lake also which I didn't try.
Yes, yes. I love that area. You can also go down the Waterview Drive and go south into the bush area opposite Duffy Terrace. I'd estimate several hundred kangaroos live there. honestly it is like Jurassic Park at times, some nice bush too, a fair bit of sand but generally manageable on a MTB.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 pm

Hugor wrote:If you park on Woodvale Rd just near the school then you can enjoy a lovely scenic pootle along the bike path next to Joondalup lake.
Another option, park at the Woodvale shops and there is a coffee shop there "Avoka."

disclaimer: I have no idea if it's any good, but a good end-of-ride option.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:33 am

wicksey wrote:
Another option, park at the Woodvale shops and there is a coffee shop there "Avoka."

disclaimer: I have no idea if it's any good, but a good end-of-ride option.
It is 200m from where I live. Good cafe but crowded on weekends.

If anyone is interested in a ride start from my place. I roast my own coffee and do a nice espresso using my Mazzer Robur and Wega Mini Nova. PM me. Warning though I do have an electric MTB...LOL.

Grant

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Soon after leaving the southern trailhead on Burns Beach Road the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail reaches a high point which provides views to the west over suburbia.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:57 pm

The second of the two underpassses on the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail. This one allows safe passage under Neerabup Road, within the Neerabup National Park.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Soon after leaving the southern trailhead on Burns Beach Road the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail reaches a high point which provides views to the west over suburbia.

As the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail enters the Yanchep National Park bicycle riders have one more walker friendly barrier to negotiate. Oh down the track is another access option but you have to negotiate a gate to come that way.

From here into the park’s recreation area is all good riding which is nice.

The Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail consists of five sections. The fifth section is where the trail transverses the Yanchep National Park. Most of the sections have signage similar to this sign providing an overview of the section.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm

The fence and remaining walking trail infrastructure mark the northern boundary where the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail departs the Neerabup National Park and enters “no mans” land before eventually entering the Yanchep National Park.

As the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail enters the Yanchep National Park bicycle riders are at least not banned. Maybe the welcome could be a bit more friendly but.
Andrew

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:18 am

Hi Andrew,

Some nice pictures and useful information there. I love that track but still haven’t done the whole track. I often start from Woodvale where I live but the whole trip is nice including the West side of the lake track running through Neil Hawkins park.

I just came back from a ride up to Neil Hawkins and back. I enjoy riding at night and often see no one on the path like tonight.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:24 am

Its perhaps not the people you see that you should be concerned about!

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Inspectorgadget wrote: I enjoy riding at night and often see no one on the path like tonight.
If you get up early before anyone has been through, you'll find massive spider webs across the path, strung from tree to tree.

Gives me the creeps going through them. Not knowing if the big long grey spider landed on me. :shock:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Cycleops70 wrote: If you get up early before anyone has been through, you'll find massive spider webs across the path, strung from tree to tree.

Gives me the creeps going through them. Not knowing if the big long grey spider landed on me. :shock:
Walking face first into a spider's web is a great way to practise your acrobatic ninja kung fu dance moves :mrgreen:

Especially when you remember the size of some of the golden orb spiders you've seen previously who love to sit smack bang in the middle of their giant webs :shock:
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't like spiders either but I don't let it stop me riding at night. I like the feeling of lighting the night. I have a Led Lenser H14R.2 and spent $20 for a handlebar mount. It is 460 Lumens but the lens can focus and it is wonderful being able to choose the beam that suits your riding. I also use it on night walks and for working on computers and around the house. It has a five year warranty and is 4 years old now. I got a brand new one six months ago after I complained the battery wasn't holding it's charge! Said, oh, we can't just replace the battery pack it isn't available any more so just sent out a whole new unit. I didn't complain.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Inspectorgadget wrote:I like the feeling of lighting the night.
Me too.
Getting up early while it's still dark, and riding while watching the sun comes up is one of the best things about riding (for me anyway. We all have our own reasons).

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 pm

So, being mainly a South'o'River dweller myself and suppressing the feeling that "up thar be monsters" (i.e. North of about Cedric St & Ikea) it occured to me I could probably make a nice day trip out of this one if I visit some friends almost lost to the wilderness since they moved to Butler. I thought I could pick up the trail about halfway long and double back from either North or South first.

Trying to minimise time spent traversing the 'burbs - could anyone with local knowledge suggest an ingress/egress point roughly due east of the Butler Traino? Open Street Map layers are a little scant on track details; even though the Satellite/Aerial view suggests some tracks but I wanted to have a couple of optons in case I come across fence or gates blocking them.

Here's a quick export & Google import of Cycleops70's originally posted RWGPs track - with yellow markers placed on aerially guessed pick up points. Just curious about where's the best place to leave the black top along Landbeach Blvd or Tobermory Cres to hit either of those points - assuming either are feasible.

--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 pm

HappyHumber wrote: Just curious about where's the best place to leave the black top along Landbeach Blvd or Tobermory Cres to hit either of those points - assuming either are feasible.

I don't think you can get access from there, unless you can throw your bike over the fence.
Your closest option might be Hester ave. There should be a gate near the Wanneroo Rd end (south side I think).

Gates aren't obvious & have no signage from the outside. They are only signposted as exits from within the trail.