driver stabs cyclist

tallywhacker

driver stabs cyclist

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:28 pm

just another day on the roads.
After my last run in I have given up saying anything to the morons and will just be submitting the video to the hoon line (according to the police that is where we now submit 1m infractions)

Nobody

Re: driver stabs cyclist

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:21 pm

tallywhacker wrote:After my last run in I have given up saying anything to the morons...
Good move. Besides the danger, it's a waste of your riding time. I've had a "non-engagement policy" while riding for a number of years.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Make that one count of "Assault occasioning bodily harm", please Mr Policeman. Plus a few traffic offences and parking in a disabled spot (about $450) for good measure
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

I commend you on your restraint. I can't say I would have been able to exercise the same control...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I commend you on your restraint. I can't say I would have been able to exercise the same control...
I would have sat the fat punt on his backside, knife or no knife.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Derny Driver wrote:fat punt
lol, fat punt.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 pm

I read elsewhere that police have video evidence of the altercation ... be interesting to see how this pans out when this POS finally gets hauled in .... I imagine he will lawyer up and hand himself in along with some lame "brain snap" excuse
Go!Run!GAH!

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:I read elsewhere that police have video evidence of the altercation ..
Its in the linked article, driver close passes cyclist, cyclist follows and almost runs into driver as he is getting out of the car while yelling at him. (he might have actually hit the driver with his bike)

Now obviously stabbing is waaaaay overboard, but the cyclist did himself no favours, wouldnt be surprised if the driver gets off with self defense.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Bah77 wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:I read elsewhere that police have video evidence of the altercation ..
Its in the linked article, driver close passes cyclist, cyclist follows and almost runs into driver as he is getting out of the car while yelling at him. (he might have actually hit the driver with his bike)

Now obviously stabbing is waaaaay overboard, but the cyclist did himself no favours, wouldnt be surprised if the driver gets off with self defense.
Injurying someone with a knife automatically ups the ante to weapons charges .... recall a similar incident a year or so back by a doofus standing off with what looked like a knife (actually a rope splicing tool so I think he dodged the whole weapons thing ... and of course he didnt actually come within striking distance of the cyclist)
Go!Run!GAH!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 am

Two points
1 Don't escalate, blow kisses and hope they have an aneurysm
2 If it does get ugly, DISMOUNT! You can't use the bike as a shield or throw it when you've got your bum in the saddle
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 am

I wonder if it will be taken all that seriously at all... WA Traffic Police don't like prosecuting people who run down cyclists, and my experience with them is that they often seem to hate cyclists as much as any other self-important motorists.

The hoon hotline on the other hand.... That's not handled by traffic police, but by real police... It's very effective at getting action taken. I'm glad they are the ones handling the new complaints system.

David.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:08 am

Some of these? LoL!

or this maybe?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 am

The West is reporting that assault and traffic charges have been laid against the driver:
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/driver-s ... b88720702z

He might still try to fight the charges with a claim of self-defence but, from my understanding, the fact that he armed himself and got out of his vehicle (leaving a place of safety) should make self-defence a difficult argument to win.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 am

Scott_C wrote:The West is reporting that assault and traffic charges have been laid against the driver:
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/driver-s ... b88720702z

He might still try to fight the charges with a claim of self-defence but, from my understanding, the fact that he armed himself and got out of his vehicle (leaving a place of safety) should make self-defence a difficult argument to win.
Judging from the video it doesn't appear that the cyclist was stabbed ... seems like more of a discussion with a troll who is equally brazenly oblivious to the consequences of obesity as well as brandishing a knife in public.... but nonetheless, the moment someone pulls a knife in an altercation is the moment that police are forced to scrutinize the event, no matter how much they hate cyclists. Maybe there is further footage where he gets more psycho ....
Go!Run!GAH!

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:.... but nonetheless, the moment someone pulls a knife in an altercation is the moment that police are forced to scrutinize the event,
Based on the last time this happened he might be charged with "carrying a weapon in public". Assault seems to require that the assaulted party lodge a complaint.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:I commend you on your restraint. I can't say I would have been able to exercise the same control...
In a sense you have just justified the action of the 76 year old.

Put yourself in the position of being 76. A 52 year old male on a bike is highly likely to be able to do you serious harm. And you have no idea of the guys state of mind, but he HAS just bailed you up for whatever reason.

That 76 year old is most likely very vulnerable to an attack by a 52 year old - Hell, I was only two years out of basketball at that age. But as your statement attests, there are plenty of tools out there who are just as likely to throttle a 76 year old. Your approach certainly doesn't sound like the alternative, to indulge in reasonable and controlled discussion.

I suggest that should you ever take on a 76 year old for whatever reason, then you are part of the problem.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:

Put yourself in the position of being 76. A 52 year old male on a bike is highly likely to be able to do you serious harm. And you have no idea of the guys state of mind, but he HAS just bailed you up for whatever reason.

That 76 year old is most likely very vulnerable to an attack by a 52 year old - Hell, I was still pumping weight and only two years out of basketball at 52. But as your statement attests, there are plenty of tools out there who are just as likely to throttle a 76 year old. Your approach certainly doesn't sound like the alternative, to indulge in reasonable and controlled discussion.

I suggest that should you ever take on a 76 year old for whatever reason, then you are part of the problem.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:

That 76 year old is most likely very vulnerable to an attack by a 52 year old - Hell, I was only two years out of basketball at that age. But as your statement attests, there are plenty of tools out there who are just as likely to throttle a 76 year old. Your approach certainly doesn't sound like the alternative, to indulge in reasonable and controlled discussion.

Er, he pulled a knife....

So if I'm out riding, nearly get side-swiped into the flora whilst being accompanied by my wife/daughter/any other, then attempt to raise the driver's awareness of his behaviour which results in being threatened with a knife, the knife-wielder is the victim (?). My argument is that a 76yo should know better, and that the rider would have no way of knowing how old, feeble or decrepit the driver was at the time. His experience was a near-miss, and then a verbal altercation involving some knife-brandishing.

And that is why I commended OP on his restraint.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 pm

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/shock ... p99t4.html

Here is the previous incident .... once again in WA :shock:

(They must put something in the tap water....)
Go!Run!GAH!

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:14 pm

The driver threatened the cyclist by the punishment pass and the brake check. The cyclist had every right to speak his mind man-to-man. The motorist assaulted him again with the knife - he obviously keeps it handy. I don't believe that the culprit's age has any bearing on the material facts. How was the cyclist to know that the person who threatened him and attacked him with a knife was 76 - what difference does it make? There is no fool like an old fool. I wager that angry little man has spent his whole life playing the idiot the ocker thug.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 pm

ball bearing wrote: How was the cyclist to know that the person who threatened him and attacked him with a knife was 76
Maybe assess the situation before you ram someone with your bike? If he had stopped a couple of meters short he would have seen the guys age, and possibly the knife

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Bah77 wrote:Maybe assess the situation before you ram someone with your bike?
Was he charged with assault for the alleged deliberate action?

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Cant see how a close pass should be taken as a green light to start a physical interaction. Intentionaly riding your bike into anyone (young or old) as they are existing their car is poor form. Im sure rider will do things differently next time.
Will be interesting to see if driver is charged with the close pass.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:00 am

ball bearing wrote:
Bah77 wrote:Maybe assess the situation before you ram someone with your bike?
Was he charged with assault for the alleged deliberate action?
So if he wasnt charged then he did nothing wrong? Interesting take, i wonder how that logic would go on certain other threads in this forum.

You dont think if the cyclist had stopped a couple of meters away he could have seen the knife and the gentlemans age?