windan bridge east perth

cycloQ

windan bridge east perth

Postby cycloQ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi there, anyone know what's happening with the cycle path crossing the river on Windan bridge East Perth ? I tried getting home this afternoon and was blocked by fences and signs advising me to use 'other
' footpath ( there wasn't one ). Usually there are signs posted advising of closure in advance, haven't seen any. I couldn't find anything on Main Roads site. I can phone tomorrow but want to know if I can get to work tomorrow morning. I did manage to battle through fences and sand tracks today. Seems strange to block a major path without warning, only alternatives seem very inconvenient.

roller

Re: windan bridge east perth

Postby roller » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:43 pm

cycloQ wrote:Hi there, anyone know what's happening with the cycle path crossing the river on Windan bridge East Perth ? I tried getting home this afternoon and was blocked by fences and signs advising me to use 'other
' footpath ( there wasn't one ). Usually there are signs posted advising of closure in advance, haven't seen any. I couldn't find anything on Main Roads site. I can phone tomorrow but want to know if I can get to work tomorrow morning. I did manage to battle through fences and sand tracks today. Seems strange to block a major path without warning, only alternatives seem very inconvenient.
it's not that inconvenient, there's another footpath on the other side of the bridge (south side), ie this side:

if you are wanting to cross the bridge and continue to head east (instead of heading towards the causeway) there's a small (15m) dirt track detour which will take you back to the path you'd normally ride on after you cross the bridge on the north side.
inflammatory statement or idea

dv

Postby dv » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:41 am

A week ago I asked about both the bridge closure and the temporary path and I was told a response was coming in 1 to 5 days. Exactly 5 days later I got a note about the temporary path (below - but nothing about the bridge path) It also looks like there's more work coming with diversions right into April:

Firstly I wanted to say thank you for your feedback about the lack of information available on the principle shared path diversion along the Windan Bridge. We have taken this on board and increased the detour signage on site.

The limestone was in place for two days before being replaced with a compacted road base material which is more suitable.

The current diversion is as per picture attached (sorry I cannot post picture). This weekend the path will be reopened with a temporary surface to cater for Ed Sheeran event crowds. Next week it will be closed again so asphalting can be laid. The path is due to permanently open at the end of next week.

Once this path on the eastern side of the bridge reopens, work will begin on the path on the western side of the Windan Bridge. This work is expected to be completed early April. I will send through a map of this diversion tomorrow.

Kind regards......

If someone has a photo host site I can email through the map when it comes tomorrow if you pm me.

dv

Postby dv » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:41 pm

This link was sent through about the work and timeline
http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/projects/curre ... -transport

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Regarding these paths, I made contact with Westcycle after seeing reports on FB about riders being told to dismount and walk the length (400m) of Windan when something is on at the stadium.

Their response -

"We have contacted Optus Stadium and Main Roads. We have been advised that cyclists only need to dismount during the peak egress and ingress times at events. "

So if you want to do a river loop on a PSP that has been there long before any talk of the stadium, best make sure you stay away from the Windan 2 hours either side of an event (every weekend over the football season.) For the next 50 years or so.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:54 pm

wicksey wrote: For the next 50 years or so.
Should only be until the real bridge is finished.

However, as someone whose regular commute went behind Subi oval, it'll be walking pace only regardless.

If it's any consolation, all the roads will be walking pace too. :D
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:17 pm

wicksey wrote:Regarding these paths, I made contact with Westcycle after seeing reports on FB about riders being told to dismount and walk the length (400m) of Windan when something is on at the stadium.

Their response -

"We have contacted Optus Stadium and Main Roads. We have been advised that cyclists only need to dismount during the peak egress and ingress times at events. "

So if you want to do a river loop on a PSP that has been there long before any talk of the stadium, best make sure you stay away from the Windan 2 hours either side of an event (every weekend over the football season.) For the next 50 years or so.
I wonder what the chances are that the people giving directions have authority under the Road Traffic Act to close a portion of a road for an event or have authority under the Road Traffic Code to issue directions to road users?

Honestly, provided it was safe to do so, I would be tempted to just ignore them unless they can show they are authorised to give a direction contrary to the road markings.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am

Thoglette wrote: Should only be until the real bridge is finished.
Not really, they are encouraging those 8000 or so people on the Midland line to alight at East Perth and walk the Windan. This is lovely to do on a nice day, but is going to suck for those walking to the football in Winter.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:53 pm

The northern side is open again, or it was when I rode through late yesterday. North/east corner is hard limestone type material with no warning when approached from the west. Approach from the east, dismount sign.

Main roads have also finally replaced the wire fencing in the area. For around 2 weeks, the wire fence was removed leaving a very large fall if you accidentally strayed off the path. Reported to main roads who took a very long time to install temporary fencing.

TGSKANTH

Postby TGSKANTH » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 pm

It is really a struggle to get to city due to this bridge closure.
I am driving long to reach to city.
Also the temporary path is too loose and it is prone for a road bike to slip.

Displaying cyclists disembark notice board, not making much value considering the effort a cyclist to make to disembark, walk with biking shoes on loose soil. I do not feel this is practical.

Also on top of that as the temporary roads are steep and slippery, who will be responsible if any accident occur to the cyclist.

As of today I noticed the main bridge portion is almost complete with final layer done on top of asphalt.
It will be really helpful if you allow the cyclists to pass thru, at least during the peak hours.

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:40 pm

I encountered a gaggle of politicians on some kind Bicycling WA arranged ride/CBD tour the other day. They were like these guys, the way they were trying to figure out how to descend the temporary bluemetal path :lol:
[shareyoutube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H2FLRUtdmU[/shareyoutube]

For such a short and temporary diversion I really don't see it being a problem.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:36 am

Additional diversions posted from MainRoads
Ongoing until 7 September

As part of the Optus Stadium works, Public Transport Authority are upgrading the shared path balustrades on both sides of the Windan Bridge (Graham Farmer Freeway).

Access will be maintained via minor detours.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Just a quick reminder that there is footy next Thursday evening (21st of June) at the Stadium and that there may be some cyclist dismount signs installed on the Windan and Googoonup bridges as part of their crowd management (as the new pedestrian bridge doesn't look like it will be open in time).

I haven't been able to find any information on whether they will or won't be closing the bridge paths to cyclists but be aware of the possibility if it is part of your usual commute home (and perhaps choose to ride a bike that doesn't need cleated shoes).

wexford

Postby wexford » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Interesting, I had to look Googoonup Bridge up. So the structure is actually considered to be two bridges - Windan on the city side and Googoonup on the north/Belmont side.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:01 pm

wexford wrote:Interesting, I had to look Googoonup Bridge up. So the structure is actually considered to be two bridges - Windan on the city side and Googoonup on the north/Belmont side.
Goongoonup is the railway bridge and is the Southern structure and is owned by the PTA, it has a single shared use path on the Southern face of the bridge (looks out toward the Stadium, Matagarup Bridge and Claisebrook Cove).

Windan is the road bridge carrying all 6 lanes of the Graham Farmer Freeway and is owned by Main Roads WA, it has a single shared use path on the Northern face of the bridge (looks out towards the old power station and Mt Lawley).

Both bridges are getting PSP handrail and lighting upgrades to be in accordance with current standards.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Update from PTA today
PTA wrote: Windan and Goongoongup Bridge
Balustrade Upgrade

Next week work will start to upgrade the balustrade on the Principal Shared Paths (PSP) along the Windan Bridge (north side of the bridge) and Goongoongup Bridge (south side of the bridge).

While the PSP balustrade on both sides of the bridge will be upgraded, one side will remain open at all times so pedestrians can cross.

The project includes replacing the old balustrade with a new 1.4 metre high balustrade making it safer for all pedestrians, cyclists and Stadium event crowds.

As of next week the Goongoongup Bridge PSP will be closed during the week. Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to follow diversion signage and traffic management to the Windan Bridge PSP as per the below map.
The balustrade on the Goongoongup Bridge PSP is due to be completed and reopened in August. Work will then move to the Windan Bridge PSP.

Both sides of the bridge will be reopened every weekend and on Stadium event days.

Thank you for your patience during this upgrade.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ