PSP Kwinana Fwy Roe Hwy Interchange

Baalzamon

PSP Kwinana Fwy Roe Hwy Interchange

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:30 pm

Roadworks are a foot. Roe Hwy will be extended to Murdoch Drv so you guessed it. Realignment for the bike path and most like a diversion again in the coming months. Clued into it today when I noticed the works they were doing were elevating and was flat so checked mainroads.
https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... fault.aspx
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Scott_C

Re: PSP Kwinana Fwy Roe Hwy Interchange

Postby Scott_C » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:01 pm

After cancelling the useful bike path that would have been provided with Roe 8 they are intending to build a new PSP along the Murdoch Drive extension from Roe Hwy to Leach Hwy. Why we need another 4km of PSP parallel to and within 1km of the existing PSP I don't know (especially saying it stops before Cranford Ave where it could have actually been useful) but that is what they are building.

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFi ... ramMap.pdf

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:59 am

Baalzamon wrote:Roadworks are a foot. Roe Hwy will be extended to Murdoch Drv so you guessed it. Realignment for the bike path and most like a diversion again in the coming months. Clued into it today when I noticed the works they were doing were elevating and was flat so checked mainroads.
I've looked at the MRD website regarding the pending closure of the PSP/ proposed detour details and can find nothing. An aquaintance says that a detour will be in place as of 19/9/18. Anyone got any more specific information?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Looks like the bike path will go underneath now woohoo

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:25 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Roadworks are a foot. Roe Hwy will be extended to Murdoch Drv so you guessed it. Realignment for the bike path and most like a diversion again in the coming months. Clued into it today when I noticed the works they were doing were elevating and was flat so checked mainroads.
I've looked at the MRD website regarding the pending closure of the PSP/ proposed detour details and can find nothing. An aquaintance says that a detour will be in place as of 19/9/18. Anyone got any more specific information?
The Kwinana Freeway Widening Works page has been updated with the detour details (.doc). As expected for MainRoads, the detour doesn't meet MainRoads' own guidelines for path users at roadworks (which requires that a detour "adequately replicates the existing path") and have a minimum width of 2m for bi-directional travel. Whereas this path requires on-road travel (including for disabled pedestrians, ~200m of the detour has no path at all) and, where footpaths are provided they either are curbside and get covered in rubbish bins that never get taken back in or are only 1.8m wide. There is one road crossing at traffic lights which, of course, don't have cycling lanterns and legally requires a dismount.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Is there something I've missed on the current version of the project plan for the Murdoch Drive Connection?

The first versions of the plan had a bridge over the freeway to connect the Roe Highway PSP to the Freeway PSP instead of doing the loop-de-loop at Farrington Road.
I can't see it now.

Does anyone know if its still there, or has it been conveniently pushed aside due to "funding constraints" ?

cheers
Marc

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:01 am

That is one ugly detour.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am

Gunnadothat wrote:Is there something I've missed on the current version of the project plan for the Murdoch Drive Connection?

The first versions of the plan had a bridge over the freeway to connect the Roe Highway PSP to the Freeway PSP instead of doing the loop-de-loop at Farrington Road.
I can't see it now.

Does anyone know if its still there, or has it been conveniently pushed aside due to "funding constraints" ?

cheers
Marc
The removal of the footbridge from the project was noted in the January 2018 Construction Reference Group minutes, the reason given for the removal in the April Minutes is "It was simply cost driven" , "with various items removed to remain within available budget with other routes available albeit longer."

With the footbridge and Murdoch Drive PSP deleted from the project the project is now purely negative for cyclists, due to a permanent lengthening of the PSP an on-road cycling ban on Murdoch Drive and all the stuffing around with below standard construction detours.

Apparently WestCycle is being consulted on these projects and is apparently giving the OK to stuff things up and provide detours that don't meet Australian Standards.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:28 pm

So for those poor buggers who want to access Murdoch Uni from Bibra Lake, the only ways are substandard paths, or substandard roads - any improvements we were going to see have been completely eliminated.

As for Westcycle. pffft... sounds like they give it lip service. Obviously too far out of town for them to be bothered???
From the May meeting minutes:
Q
Are PSP users aware of the longer route that will be established as a result of this project?
A
We have worked with WestCycle and we continue to keep them up to date as a key cycling stakeholder. They also have their own cycling network communications mechanisms.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm

The current sub-standard detour is scheduled to get even worse on the 12th of November with the Southern end of the detour being pushed a further 1.5km South and the transverse offset (the distance away from the desired line of travel) increasing by 1km (the detour now goes 2.2km to the West of the freeway before coming back to it).

https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... 0Sheet.pdf

The proposed detour shows an illegal right hand turn from Prout Way into Bibra Drive for Northbound cyclists but I suggest that Fantail Drive should be used rather than Prout Way as it is shorter and has a legal right hand turn at a roundabout (either that or use the footpath on Prout Way).

Pretty much all the footpaths in the residential areas are adjacent to the curb so they will get covered in rubbish bins every week.

The section through the kiddie park between Mason Ct and Little Rush Close uses a 1.2m wide concrete path (absolute minimum width in Main Roads standards for a bi-directional path is 2m) with limestone block walls to the edges of the path at one end (watch your pedals) and a u-rail maze at the other end. Neither the path or the adjacent level crossing appear to have any lighting.

Now it is possible that Main Roads have looked at these substandard sections of path and upgraded them to meet the minimum standards but previous experience says that is not likely to be the case.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 am

Scott_C wrote:The current sub-standard detour is scheduled to get even worse on the 12th of November with the Southern end of the detour being pushed a further 1.5km South and the transverse offset (the distance away from the desired line of travel) increasing by 1km (the detour now goes 2.2km to the West of the freeway before coming back to it).....
Thanks for that, looks like a bunch of no fun on the commute for a few more months.

Wondering if somebody with local knowledge, knows if the rail crossing here https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/32 ... 15.8408045 is passable? it would knock a kilometre or two off the offical detour

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:47 am

I don't know if this will help but this is courtesy of Google Earth:
https://earth.google.com/web/(AT)-32.09955 ... 782295t,0r

You may need to move it around a little bit in GE, but it does look promising.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:58 pm

nickobec wrote: Wondering if somebody with local knowledge, knows if the rail crossing here is passable? it would knock a kilometre or two off the offical detour
Looking at Nearmap it looks like it would be passable with the following notes:
* It is completely unlit between the road entries- the crossing itself is 150m+ from the nearest streetlight and seems to have no passive surveillance from any adjacent road or property.
* The rail crossing is a 'maze' type crossing with no warning lights or bells. Both sides of the maze have 180degree mazes that are ~1.2m wide, depending upon the size of your bike and your bike handling skills you might need to dismount to make it safely through the maze and if there is an oncoming bike or ped you will need to wait for them to completely clear the maze before entering.
* The amount of figure 8 tyre tracks in the surrounding sand indicates that the area is frequently used by 4wd and trail-bike hoons.
* Coupled with the point above there is a lot of sand contamination on the path but I can't tell from the photos whether it is a relatively safe 1mm thick layer or an unsafe 20mm.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:23 pm

nickobec wrote:Wondering if somebody with local knowledge, knows if the rail crossing here is passable? it would knock a kilometre or two off the offical detour
I have traversed it a few times in the last 6 months, in negotiating different approaches through South Lake to Yangebup & Beeliar from the Roe PSP.

Per Scott_C's nice little point summary It is a crab of a crossing. Dumped junk, the odd sign of mispent youth and overgrown shrubs enroaching on the path on the north approach to it. I find it easiest to unclip/unmount to get through the tight maze. Mind you, this might be just my aging legs on a too tall a fixed ratio. 8)

I'd say give it a go and see what you reckon - but be prepared.

This crossing (much closer to North Lake Rd) suits me these days - but much further again out of the way of anyone merely wanting to parallel the Fwy.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm

OK rode the short unofficial detour today, added 200 metres and about a minute to my commute. I did dismount at the maze, good opportunity to check my mud map.

The path is in ok condition, only small amount of sand in one spot. Can post a video later if people want.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 pm

nickobec wrote:OK rode the short unofficial detour today, added 200 metres and about a minute to my commute. I did dismount at the maze, good opportunity to check my mud map.

The path is in ok condition, only small amount of sand in one spot. Can post a video later if people want.

Thanks very much for this Nicobec ... that 'official' detour was a joke.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Hopefully the Hope Road underpass will be in action soon. So we can avoid Farrington Road and Bibra Drive

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Yes, Faringdon Rd and Bibra Dr are the ugly bits of the detour rather than the bit south of the railway line.

Curious to know, where does this Hope Rd underpass go to and from?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Why not get off at berrigan drv and head into Jandakot and then along karel ave?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:07 pm

nickobec wrote:Hopefully the Hope Road underpass will be in action soon. So we can avoid Farrington Road and Bibra Drive
The Hope Road underpass is due to open on December 10th. At the same time there will be an additional detour added just North of Aubin Grove Station for 1.5km.

https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... 0Sheet.pdf

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:20 pm

That underpass will be a big improvement. Combined with nickobec's alternative railway crossing from Nettle Way to Annois Rd it will at least be safe even if still not exactly ideal.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:16 pm

scirocco wrote:That underpass will be a big improvement. Combined with nickobec's alternative railway crossing from Nettle Way to Annois Rd it will at least be safe even if still not exactly ideal.
Will post the new map early next week (and also email it to Main Roads) follow the map to cross the railwayline, go down Annois Road, instead of turning right at Parkway Rd, go straight, at the T go straight ahead on the bike path through Duffield Reserve, onto Mallard Road, left at Parkway Rd, quick right onto Homestead, at the T turn right onto Hope Road and head to the new underpass. Completely avoiding Bibra Drive and almost all traffic.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:51 pm

I was thinking with the new detours. Get off Russel rd but continue to Hammond rd which has cycle way, also wentworth pde does. Then get myself to Berrigan Drv and to Karel rd to roe hwy.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Yes I do that for a Sunday ride and it’s pretty good now that the Berrigan Dr / Jandakot Rd roadworks are done.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:36 pm

Scott_C wrote:The Hope Road underpass is due to open on December 10th.
Had a look at the southern end this morning (Hope Rd / Gilchrist Rd). Not a snowflake's chance of it opening tomorrow. The tunnel is in place but the roadbase is barely formed let alone being paved or marked. Couldn't see the northern side.

At usual WA construction speeds it will be February before it gets anywhere near opening I would suspect.