Are there cycling restrctions on the Matagarup Bridge?

ColinOldnCranky

Are there cycling restrctions on the Matagarup Bridge?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:51 pm

The final concrete pours for the decking on the Matagarup Bridge are scheduled for today. This is to be followed by testing and tuning next week and open in time for the Dockers vs Port Adelaide match on the fifteenth.

I would expect that there may be cycling restrictions on game days, at least initially. But I haven't seen any reference whatsoever on cyclists using it. I guess that a case for restrictions could be made for the paths around there too but I'd doubt it.

Has anyone seen or heard anything?

(FYI the path around the river side of Trinity College is now closed so riders and walkers will need to take Braithwaite St passing between Trinity College and the WACA.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Scott_C

Re: Are there cycling restrctions on the Matagarup Bridge?

Postby Scott_C » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:11 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Has anyone seen or heard anything?
I haven't seen anything recent indicating cycling use of the bridge.

Googling brings up the following:

https://optusstadium.com.au/factsheets/ ... -overview/
An overview page on the Stadium website indicating that, "Matagarup Bridge is a new metropolitan river crossing that provides exclusive pedestrian and cyclist access over the river." The renderings on the page show the old bridge design (before Rita of House Bolton had it flayed) so I question whether the page is current.

https://cdn.mra.wa.gov.au/production/do ... cation.pdf
The Development Application for the bridge including, "The pedestrian bridge supports non-car based forms of transport, with walking and cycling accommodated on the bridge and the foreshore shared use path being retained as an integral part of the design of the public space."

The DA makes other references to cycling but this was the most clear indication that cycling on the bridge was an intended feature.

As far as I am aware cyclists will not be allowed to ride across the bridge during events, there will also be further cycling restrictions in East Perth in and around the event bus stands and road closures. I am hopeful that with the opening of the new bridge they will keep Goongoonup Bridge shared path open to cyclists during events.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Scott_C wrote:As far as I am aware cyclists will not be allowed to ride across the bridge during events, there will also be further cycling restrictions in East Perth in and around the event bus stands and road closures.
I recall that this was the plan. Based on my experience near Subiaco Oval, going much faster than a walking pace at either end of the game is nigh impossible anyway.

But I imagine that this will not be enforced after the first season, if at all.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:46 pm

From Main Roads Q&A 2013
How will the Swan River Pedestrian Bridge connect to the existing path network?
The shared use paths along the eastern and western foreshores may need to be temporarily deviated or realigned during construction,however, access along the foreshore will be maintained. When the project is complete, both shared use paths will be reinstated under the new bridge and will connect to the bridge via access ramps.
I had to search for "Swan River Pedestrian Bridge", glad the current name Matagarup Bridge no longer has the word pedestrian.

Next bridge, Claisebrook Bridge, which the City of Perth was meant to reopen as a shared bridge, in 2016'ish. This bridge was also originally built as a shared bridge, until CoP closed it for cyclist. Hopefully this won't happen to Matagarup Bridge.

With 14,300 people expected to use it on event days then no riding may be enforced in these peak times.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:28 pm

Geez i would not be riding any where near the stadium during event times. Its already bad enough with general peds looking around and visiting playgrounds etc. Its great to see people out and using it all, but can see many bike/ped issues especially when ferry users start crossing PSP.
Bike path really needs to divert around the back (land side) of the stadium and even the Burswood park area.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:26 pm

I would have expected the surrounding PSPs to be made wider to accommodate all that extra foot traffic.

As others have mentioned though - you'd want to avoid the area on a game day, etc.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:53 pm

NASHIE wrote:Bike path really needs to divert around the back (land side) of the stadium and even the Burswood park area.
There is a good quality bike path (missing cycling lanterns at the road crossings though) along GE highway past Burswood so you can avoid the Stadium, it joins back to the GFF bike path so you can stay away from the majority of Stadium foot traffic except those going across Windan Bridge to get to East Perth station.

There are 600 bicycle parking spots in the Stadium precinct so they need to keep some kind of cycling access open on game day if they expect them to be used by attendees.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Scott_C wrote:
NASHIE wrote:Bike path really needs to divert around the back (land side) of the stadium and even the Burswood park area.
There is a good quality bike path (missing cycling lanterns at the road crossings though) along GE highway past Burswood so you can avoid the Stadium, it joins back to the GFF bike path so you can stay away from the majority of Stadium foot traffic except those going across Windan Bridge to get to East Perth station.

There are 600 bicycle parking spots in the Stadium precinct so they need to keep some kind of cycling access open on game day if they expect them to be used by attendees.
Yes, i guess they need to make GE etc the main run ie redesign entry/exits to force riders around. Or as dmwill mentioned widen or duplicate a ped only path as per south perth. I can see tears in the current form.

redned

Postby redned » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:16 pm

i expect that there will be cycling restrictions during events.
Even now there are restrictions on Windan bridge with "cyclist dismount" signs at each end.
They had traffic controllers at each end on both sides, although I don't know why because they were not enforcing the "dismount".

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:09 pm

redned wrote:i expect that there will be cycling restrictions during events.
Even now there are restrictions on Windan bridge with "cyclist dismount" signs at each end.
They had traffic controllers at each end on both sides, although I don't know why because they were not enforcing the "dismount".
I rode Windan Bridge a couple of weeks back. I don't recall those signs (though it is not something that I would pay much attention to anyway so maybe they are there).

I understand that there have been some restrictions during construction, as there currently are around the back of Trinity College, but just to accommodate temporary construction needs.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:35 pm

As an aside, some may notice that the architect drawings and artist's representations show that the bridge is to be clad, rather than exposed triangular strut elements as they currently are.

No, they are not opening the bridge and then completing the cladding after. The cladding was cut late last year as a cost cutting and to ease maintenance in years to come. I don't know what the original designer thinks of that.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 am

I just came across this which indicates that cycling is part of the mix for event days, as suggested by Scott_C earlier.
"8,600 people are expected to walk and cycle across the Swan River via the Windan Bridge (and an additional 14,300 when the Matagarup Bridge is completed)"
from page on Optus Stadium

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:02 am

From WA Today
Granite rock in the river surrounding the bridge piers at Burswood and East Perth, which formed the temporary construction causeways used to assemble and erect the bridge arches, will also be removed over the next three months.

Work will also continue to complete the shared-path connections in East Perth and Burswood and to install landscaping in and around the bridge ramps during winter 2018.

Full bridge access will be provided on event days at Optus Stadium, however, bridge users should be aware that temporary pedestrian and cyclist management will be in place and restrictions will apply on non-event days to enable completion works to progress.

Additional security services will be in place on the bridge this weekend and at night to maintain public safety and protect the ongoing construction areas.
Anyone going to test the "full bridge access" later today by being the first person to cycle over the bridge? Don't be disappointed if you aren't allowed as I would guess there will be dismount signs.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:24 pm

rolandp wrote:Anyone going to test the "full bridge access" later today by being the first person to cycle over the bridge? Don't be disappointed if you aren't allowed as I would guess there will be dismount signs.
I rode it early this morning. I didn't see any signs (it was still dark though).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 pm

rolandp wrote:Anyone going to test the "full bridge access" later today by being the first person to cycle over the bridge? Don't be disappointed if you aren't allowed as I would guess there will be dismount signs.
Actually they would have been disappointed anyway :cry: as, having a natural and comfortable speed in excess of a walker I got across without any intent at all to be first to the other side. Followed by two cyclists who chose to lag behind me in the stated hope of photobombing me if the media chose to focus on the first idiot to cross on a unicycle. In the ensuing hour after a few more casual cyclists also traversed the river.

Notwithstanding the bulk of media implying or stating that the first opportunity for the public to use the bridge would be those attending the Docker game, a couple of hundred of us in the know were there just before 2pm yesterday.