Magpies!!!

Magpies!!!

Postby sarmy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:52 pm

for the past couple of years a maggie has been fiercely protective of its nest near the marmion ave/hodges dve intersection. if you head north along marmion just as you pass thru the lights and just before the BP servo, you will come under attack, it certainly isnt shy and still kept going as i waved my arm in the air at it.
sarmy

by BNA » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 pm

BNA

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks for the tip off, I remembered your post tonight and I decided to head across Marmion Ave at the Hodges Ave intersection and continue North along the coast. (Picking up Marmion Av again at Burns Beach).

I didn't do this to avoid the Magpie but it gave me the excuse to add another 4km to my ride! :wink: (and the SW was heaven!)

Cheers,

Gary
gdl_gdl

Postby Vivifyer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:54 am

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24662092-421,00.html

Cyclist in intensive care after magpie attack

ouch :S
Vivifyer

Postby mangpress » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:08 pm

East Street in Freo!!!
there's one along there that gets me every time.
mangpress

Postby Earthy Ochre Man » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:56 am

I often cut through Whiteman Park when riding to the Swan Valley and at the moment would get swooped by 1 or 2 maggies everytime.
Earthy Ochre Man

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Anyone ever been swooped by wattlebirds? They can be really nasty and will "clack" their beak when they get close. I've not had it for a while on a bike, but always get swooped by them when walking the hounds around the lake at Joondalup. In fact, the hounds get swooped first - brave little suckers to have a go at my dogs.
moosterbounce

Postby michaelroper » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:29 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Anyone ever been swooped by wattlebirds?

yes! there is one angry one just near RPH, opposite Mercedes college... it never seemed to swoop anyone else, but would wait for me on my bike... I couldn't handle the daily attacks, so I altered my route to work...
michaelroper

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:56 am

moosterbounce wrote:Anyone ever been swooped by wattlebirds? They can be really nasty and will "clack" their beak when they get close. I've not had it for a while on a bike, but always get swooped by them when walking the hounds around the lake at Joondalup. In fact, the hounds get swooped first - brave little suckers to have a go at my dogs.

+1 Yes there's one around the corner on Kennedy St that has a go at me regularly. Also, there was one at my parents place that hounded our ginger cat every time it stepped out of the house - for about 5 years! :lol:
cavebear2

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:04 am

And people worry about magpies :)
moosterbounce

Postby DaveW » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:32 pm

There is a Maggie along Thomas Rd, Orelia, just near the entrance to Windsor Hills estate.

I ride along the path and then hop onto a road just before the roundabout inside the estate - this one is really persistent - they don't worry me much normally, but this guy will follow and keep swooping me until I stop and stare at him. If I keep riding, he keeps swooping. :roll:

He hits the helmet which doesn't worry me, but I think as it seems to not be working he is trying to aim for my right ear - THAT worries me. :shock:

The other day he kept swooping me for about 500m - I've never had that before. :roll:
Bottecchia 803 Flat bar roadie.

I'm not a complete idiot - parts of me are missing!

DaveW

Return to Western Australia