Surrey Road Bike Boulevard

commute

Surrey Road Bike Boulevard

Postby commute » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Some info here about the project.
http://www.belmont.wa.gov.au/Community/ ... evard.aspx

Thought I'd share some pictures of how this is progressing.

Here is a typical slow point that has been installed. (with bonus jerk parked in the no parking part)
These seem to be doing a reasonable job of slowing down motorists to 50km/h or less, although not too many actually do the 30km/h they are supposed to. Prior to these slow points cars would regularly do 70km/h + down Surrey as it is a wide and dead straight road.
The no parking paint does not extend far enough back from the slow points to stop people parking in a way that makes it hard to get through the narrow bike lane.

The other problem is that because these things are angled, cars sweep right to the edge of the road, which is pretty scary if you happen to be passing through the slow point at the same time. I would not have designed these slow points like this at all. A single very narrow lane central in the road + small section of raise pavement with piano keys would have been better. It would have allowed for wider bike lanes each side too. Good luck trying to ride anything with 3 wheels through those (or towing a bike trailer, I've tried and it does not work!)

I'd also like to see no parking enforced on the verges at the slow points, as it has created a door zone which there would be no escape from should your timing be unlucky.
Still I shouldn't be too critical, it's still a lot better than it was before.

This is the Francisco st intersection.
Album here https://imgur.com/a/CCLR7MD
When I first saw the planning drawings for this, I seem to remember it was going to be bike head start boxes. Instead it's ended up being rather awkward ramps that put you on and off the foot path. I ride through here regularly and don't use the ramps. I've not seen any other cyclists using them either. I'm unsure if the head start boxes were removed because they are deemed less safe for bikes, or because MRWA couldn't let cars be inconvenienced by them. Perhaps ramps are safer for less confident riders, but they are definitely slower for the confident ones.

Alexander is similar to Francisco, albeit with even sharper ramp angles...
album here https://imgur.com/a/bveYngj

The roundabout on Fullham has had it's annulus increased in size. IMO This has gone some way to slowing cars down.
Bikes have been given more ramps up on to the foot paths.
https://imgur.com/a/IEJLa02

A few intersections (Roberts, Campbell and Newey) have had their priority swapped so that Surrey has now got right of way. This is a great change as it means less stop start.

Wright street is still a work in progress, however it appears to be getting the same treatment as the others.

Scott_C

Re: Surrey Road Bike Boulevard

Postby Scott_C » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:49 pm

commute wrote: When I first saw the planning drawings for this, I seem to remember it was going to be bike head start boxes. Instead it's ended up being rather awkward ramps that put you on and off the foot path. I ride through here regularly and don't use the ramps. I've not seen any other cyclists using them either. I'm unsure if the head start boxes were removed because they are deemed less safe for bikes, or because MRWA couldn't let cars be inconvenienced by them. Perhaps ramps are safer for less confident riders, but they are definitely slower for the confident ones.
Head start boxes aren't really compatible with (my understanding of) the WA Road Rules as Rule 122(4) seems to make it illegal to enter the box if any vehicle in the queue is indicating left, which defeats the purpose of the box.

If they are going to provide off-road bypasses instead I would have liked to see them have signalised bike crossings though the off-road crossings do at least allow you to legally Idaho stop.