Bike lane signage being deleted on Wellington St

Thoglette

Bike lane signage being deleted on Wellington St

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:20 pm

On my way in today I noticed contractors working on the bike lane on Wellington St just east of the Perth Arena (in front of the Shell and HBF buildings)

They were removing the "cyclist only" markings from the tarmac bit of the footpath.

I'm presuming this is a CoP "initiative" . Anyone know more details?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

NASHIE

Re: Bike lane signage being deleted on Wellington St

Postby NASHIE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Don't no about signage removal, but from the day i first saw the plans for this path i have just shaken my head. We highlighted to COP prior to construction the 50mm kerb lip would be a trip hazard and people entering and leaving parked cars and crowds walking to the arena will clash with the adjacent bike path but just fell on deaf ears. I noted recently they added big yellow lines on the kerb to highlight the hazard, so i guess there have been some trip incidents. Designers are so caught up in aesthetics these days they are missing design 101.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:31 pm

There were also a group of 5 workers standing on the shared path running next to the arena/Wellington st this morning. A section had been masked off with warning tape.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:21 pm

There were "cyclists dismount" signs installed on the shared path next to the RAC arena. Speaking to the crew this morning, it was approved by City of Perth and will be there for a couple of days. Email sent to CoP and WestCycle asking why, given that the shared path on the north side of the arena is also closed.

I also did ride the Wellington St bike lane. There were some missing "cyclists only" signs on the tarmac, but it looks like several have been replaced as they looked new. Can't say for sure, as I never ride this section and very disappointed it just ends near the horseshoe bridge. Another path to nowhere?

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 am

rolandp wrote: very disappointed it just ends near the horseshoe bridge. Another path to nowhere?
Yep and for the cost of this 200-300m section of granite lined bike path, a few ks of standard path could be installed. Wish they would stop wasting money like this, we are not Dubai.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:46 am

rolandp wrote:but it looks like several have been replaced as they looked new.
I had a similar thought this morning: it looked like there were more there today than yesterday. If I see a work crew tomorrow I might ask (depending on how late I am :oops: )

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Well, now I'm just confused. Some of the signage has been repainted, some has been deleted.

I can only assume that the QA inspector said: "that's not where the drawing says they should be" and so the subcontractor got to do them all again.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Whilst one large block away "Female cyclist hit by car near Horseshoe Bridge, Northbridge"
The West

Hope she recovers quickly.