Can you ride on footpaths in WA?

ColinOldnCranky

Can you ride on footpaths in WA?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Channel 7 News just did a sort report on bikes in WA.

Craig Richards of Bicycle Network was making a plea for optional use of helmets. The reporter then went to on say "they" wanted the freedom for all to ride on paths, it being legal in WA only if under twelve or an adult accompanying an under 12 rider.

Tell me this is arrant nonsense. Without chasing legislation or regulation I understood that this had been achieved a couple of years back.

If indeed Bicycle Network IS making such a plea (I only saw the reporter saying so) and it IS nonsense, then who the hell are they?

Or is just another case of the media reporting on things they know little about and misrepresenting people in the process?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Scott_C

Re: Can you ride on footpaths in WA?

Postby Scott_C » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The reporter then went to on say "they" wanted the freedom for all to ride on paths, it being legal in WA only if under twelve or an adult accompanying an under 12 rider.

Tell me this is arrant nonsense. Without chasing legislation or regulation I understood that this had been achieved a couple of years back.

Or is just another case of the media reporting on things they know little about and misrepresenting people in the process?
https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/Rules-Penalti ... e/Cyclists
Cycling on Footpaths
All-age cycling on footpaths is now legal in WA. Please see the frequently asked questions below for more information.
On April 27th 2016, WA’s laws changed to allow cyclists of all ages to use footpaths, unless otherwise signed. The amendment to the Road Traffic Code 2000 brought WA’s bicycle laws into line with the rest of Australia, making it legal for parents to ride alongside their children on footpaths, improving safety. Under the previous rules, only children under the age of 12 were able to ride on footpaths without breaking the law.
It is the usual bit about the media not paying attention. The BN helmet statement does also include a request to allow path cycling in Vic and NSW, the only states where it is illegal.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 pm

I think they are spreading vast amounts of dynamic lifter.......
"253. Driving on paths
(1) A person shall not drive a vehicle on a path.
Modified penalty: 2 PU
(2) Subregulation (1) does not apply to
(a) a person driving on a part of a path indicated by information on or with a traffic sign as a part where vehicles may drive; or
(b) a physically disabled person in a wheelchair or in a motorised wheelchair; or
(c) a person pushing a perambulator or wheelchair; or
(d) a person wheeling a bicycle, if the person is completely dismounted from the bicycle; or
(e) a person riding a bicycle on a path
; or

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Also, interestingly enough, there is this gem from the same Reg253.. I'm wondering if I'm reading it in the context I think it is in.....

(4) The driver of a vehicle driving on a path (except the rider of a bicycle) shall give way to all other persons, and to animals, on the path.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Posting here as well due to the duplication of the Original Post

I think they (Channel 7) are spreading vast amounts of dynamic lifter......

253. Driving on paths
(1) A person shall not drive a vehicle on a path.
Modified penalty: 2 PU
(2) Subregulation (1) does not apply to
(a) a person driving on a part of a path indicated by information on or with a traffic sign as a part where vehicles may drive; or
(b) a physically disabled person in a wheelchair or in a motorised wheelchair; or
(c) a person pushing a perambulator or wheelchair; or
(d) a person wheeling a bicycle, if the person is completely dismounted from the bicycle; or
(e) a person riding a bicycle on a path
;

And also this Gem also from Reg253:
(4) The driver of a vehicle driving on a path (except the rider of a bicycle) shall give way to all other persons, and to animals, on the path.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:40 pm

I generally don't look at the RSC website, as they don't always have correct data. For example, from the previously linked page:
When overtaking cyclists, it is recommended to do so at a distance of at least one metre;

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:08 pm

Riding on footpaths legal in WA since 2016 according to this article.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/ ... hs/7357134

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:32 am

Gunnadothat wrote:Posting here as well due to the duplication of the Original Post.
[Mod Says] Not anymore it isn't - I have merged the posts to avoid confusion.[/Mod]
Anything you can do, I can do slower