ASCC ride report 31/1/09

sandman

ASCC ride report 31/1/09

Postby sandman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Well its been a few weeks since I've been out on the Saturday ride but since the meeting point was close to home there was no excuse :-) Alarm set for 5:25am and out the door at 5:50am meeting at Tom Brown round-a-bout at 6:00am. Think we had about 12 riders and 100,000 flies, I kid you not. Since we've had a little rain out here the humidity is through the roof and the flies jsut go nuts.

Our route today was down the "Ross River highway", no trucks or cars to be seen which is very nice. I think its about 110km to the homestead but we generally head out 1/3 or 1/2 of the way to get in the 100 or so kilometers. Ride was a nice pace at around 33km/hr 2 up, really good mix of people with 1/2 the bunch being of the opposite sex :-)

We'd almsot reached the 1/2 way mark and yours truly gets the only flat of the ride. Well it was the 2nd stop of the ride, 10km in the seat started to slide down, I hadn't done up the screw tight enough since it came out of the box and luckily one of the guys had a multitool ;-)

Ride back was a little faster with a planned" suffering activity" along the way. Now I can handle the Lifecycles ( not according to BMXBandito) 5-10 KM thumping but this goes for about 20km. We'd dropped most of the bunch about 3km in and then the usual 3 suspects of Tim, Rob and Myself kept going. I am impressed in how Tim suffers, that guy even though he is a tad older than me can suffer as good as BMXBandito. Well my suffering went for about 18km and then sitting at max hr for too long I just had to back off. Well it looks like they played their cards better than I did as they slowed down after another 500m, maybe they had planned to give me a spanking, who knows but I do respect their abilities :-) I'm thinking I need to get back on the bike a little more and do some solitary hurting to get my fitness back.

There are 2 rides here during the week, Tue and Thu where they ride up to the Bond Springs turn off which is pretty much near the high point marker. The group meet at the top at 6:30am precisely and then back into town for coffee. Doesnt appear that they ride together up the hill due to varying abilities I'm told.

Anyway a good ride, back at home by 9:00am and then onto the shops before they all close at 12:00 noon :-) Oh the fun of living in Alice. You cant be in a hurry for things as you'll be sorely disappointed. Though spending time with Carol and the kids has been an absolute blessing :-)

Sandman

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Good story mate.

I'm getting a hint that it might be a bit quiet up there.......
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:38 pm

He's alive :!: Nice to hear from you Pete :D Great read.

Matt_Matt

Re: ASCC ride report 31/1/09

Postby Matt_Matt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:43 pm

sandman wrote:Think we had about 12 riders and 100,000 flies, I kid you not. Since we've had a little rain out here the humidity is through the roof and the flies jsut go nuts.
So will you be taking a dip at the protein supplement challenge .... ?

Matt

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Well Matt, guys have gotten really sick from the flies up here and contracted Giardia. Just reading about it, I dont think I'll be riding with my mouth open. Chatting to one of my guys today, he rides MTB with a fly net as they can get that bad in the bush...

Cheers..pete

bmxbandito

Postby bmxbandito » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:46 am

Nice to hear from you Pete. Sounds like you might be in the market for a time trial bike for those 20k efforts. The boys are are just working over the new kid in town so don't worry about getting drilled, they'll get whats coming to them. Remember you haven't been riding much lately either so ease yourself back into it diickhed, time to smash people later on when the body is ready :lol:

cheers Jeff

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:45 pm

who is this sandman guy, never heard of him :wink: :wink:

nice one Pete, give them heaps