Darwin commute - more folks doing it.

Supe

Darwin commute - more folks doing it.

Postby Supe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Looks like the Alice Spring crew have monopolised this sub-forum. So I'll post one (ramble) from a Darwinite pov. :)

I ride to work 3-4 days a week (depending if it is hammering down with rain). I've noticed that more people are out on their bikes for the work commute and reckon this is encouraging sign of cycling take up in Darwin.

I have noticed some cyclists riding on road, in wet and low light conditions without helmet, which is pretty crazy. I don't bother with helmet if its just ducking up to the local shops/markets but if I'm commuting to work, I'm donning the helmet. Most drivers are quite considerate and I haven't been called out in ages. I guess people are starting to get used to the idea of cyclists out and about using it for transportation as well as recreation/fitness.

er. That's my 2c. Back to Alice Springs mob.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:59 pm

Do you work in radio?.

Supe

Postby Supe » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 pm

No. Just want to start a thread for Darwin cyclists. It appears to be only me at the moment but cycling (particularly for the commute) is growing. Seeing more bikes out on the paths/roads and the bike shop owner I have spoken to in the city reports crazy business. Especially bike repairs.

Whilst commuting to work with a fellow traveler, one of the commuters coming the opposite way shouted (along with clenched Marxist/Leninist solidarity type fist) Go cyclists! An activist type. If I had a Che shirt, my bonding would have been complete. That was cool.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Darwin commute - more folks doing it.

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:49 pm

I lived in Darwin for a couple of years in the mid-90s. Didn't ride while I was there though, although I remember a track next to a field where I used to go to soccer training. I'd have to look at a MAP to recall where that was.

I lived on the coastal road around Nightcliff.

Timbuctoo

Postby Timbuctoo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 am

I'm about to start commuting. I just bought a secondhand but hardly used road bike and I live in Palmerston, work in the Darwin CBD. I'm thinking of starting with just 2 days per week until I feel right for it. I have also seen plenty of people riding about without helmets on the highway which is rather deadly. My helmet got mauled by a dog so I'll be getting a new one before riding to work. I also have to get some new pedals because I don't like those strap in things. I'm new at this so I guess I'd better do it right and ask lots of questions.

Tim H

PS> The new Tiger Brennan extension will apparently have a two way bike track on it which will be totally separated from the road by a curb. This will eventually mean 0 stops for cyclists all the way from Palmerston - Darwin.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:49 am

When I was in Darwin last (for holiday) my mate and I hired mountain bikes and rode all around the place. Great way to see it. I remember the hill back up from the wharf being quite steep... :-)

I can imagine bike riding in the middle of the build up season to be quite a sweaty affair... :-)

Timbuctoo

Postby Timbuctoo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:51 am

True, I'm glad we have showers at work! Darwin is very flat apart from the odd hill like that one. Palmerston has a few little hills that make for a decent pedal.

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Do you ride around the crocodiles or bunny-hop over them?

Supe

Postby Supe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 pm

Timbuctoo wrote:I'm about to start commuting. I just bought a secondhand but hardly used road bike and I live in Palmerston, work in the Darwin CBD. I'm thinking of starting with just 2 days per week until I feel right for it. I have also seen plenty of people riding about without helmets on the highway which is rather deadly.
Riding to the city from Palmerston will be a tough starter ride. I bought my bike from the shop in the city and rode it home (I lived in Palmerston at the time) and by the half way mark, I wondered if the ride was ever going to end. This was on heavy hardtail MTB, with slammed seat (cause riding with a high seat post looks dorky). Now it's my daily el crappo commuter and the seat post is much higher, though not as high as I'd like it.

+1 on the lack of helmet and riding on road. I wised up as soon as I got in a minor bingle. Car cut me off with nowhere to go, I hit their front end. The next days ride and (subsequent), I don a helmet. I don't bother if it's just up to the local shops though.

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:22 am

As a former resident of Palmerston I used to commute into the Darwin CBD regularly (say 2-3 times a week). The biketrack into the city is fantastic for most of the journey, it just gets a little hairy getting to where you want to go in the CBD.

Whilst commuting, I regularly used to ride home at about 1900, so it'd be rather dark by the time I hit Palmerston. The locals are probably the most dangerous thing on the track by then, they're hard to spot in the dark.

It wasn't the shortest distance for me though, it might be a bit of a struggle at first, but its worth it in the end. If you ride in off peak times you can catch the lights easier and they won't slow you down.

Gabon

Postby Gabon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Howdy folks - ive been riding up in the Top End over the last 7-8 months - doing a few rides up to 70kms on the roads and bike paths around town. Seems to have been a big increase in numbers of bikes in the morning in the last couple of months. Pretty good considering its still a tad on the humid side.

stnfldr

Postby stnfldr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:51 pm

G'day

Just posted back up to Darwin 3 months ago, interested in chatting to anybody up here who likes to tinker/fix up bikes. I have a few built bikes and 3-4 bikes that I am building up. Or if you just wanna say hi.

Ben

makntracks

Postby makntracks » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 am

im just a comuter for now but will be bulding new bike soon and starting to get more into the sport. has any one built up carbon bikes before would like to have a go myself before i get shop to do it.

Abe

Postby Abe » Tue May 25, 2010 9:41 pm

Been commuting for a few months now and loving it. Beautiful ride from Tiwi to the city down Dick Wad Drive. 99% of motorists are very considerate and give you lots of space and the road is fairly wide in the places the bike path turns into a foot path. Noticing a lot more bikes around even since I've started. A few more road bikes too, probably as people get sick of grinding fat tyres into the afternoon headwind.

One thing I've noticed about Darwin traffic in the afternoons is that people get steadily narkier the later it is. If I leave work at 4:45 its all nice, by 5 people are in a bit of a hurry, 5:30 and its not unusual to get cut off, by 6:00 it seems that all motorists are looking to kill everyone and if they kill themselves in the process, so much the better.

Needless to say, its an extra incentive to leave work on time.

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon May 31, 2010 1:33 pm

Abe wrote:Needless to say, its an extra incentive to leave work on time.
Abe, that's why we live in the Territory, cause we can ? :-)

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:58 am

hey

yer i ride from the northern suburbs to the city

i tend to stick to the cycle track esp at the time you leave

Darwin drivers are crap esp when lately how many young drivers on mobiles phones sit two inches from cars and end up dead

so i avoid the roads most of the time

esp when the job i used to be in went to a lot of accidents scenes, a lot of were caused by the driver behind two inches off there ass. They were paying more attention to the mobile phone or coffee in hand.

also today some idiot in modded up car racing at lights up along northern suburbs was hoping he would hit the gutter then the tree maybe would of had one less idiot driver of car in Darwin. might be bit harsh but these idiiot kill someone then end up with some suspended sentence for taking out someone innocent.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am

Ride from Palmerston to the Airport most days! great ride, I have all my light's only part of the road I ride on is leaving palmy till i get to the shell, and down Mc millians in the cycle lane, and on the way home I ride up mc millans along the road till i get to the police station then use the cycle paths