Sandmans Cycling Blog

sandman

Re: Sandmans Cycling Blog

Postby sandman » Sun May 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Another ride out with Herb today, took out the Tarmac Pro. Legs are aching from pushing the 53-14 into the headwind, it was jsut such an awesmoe ride. HTFU in progress :-)

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon May 31, 2010 1:36 pm

It was ridiculously cold this morning, TT boy had -2c on the guage when we hit the front gate. I swear it was colder out on Hatt road, my 0c gloves were not helping my fingers, they were freezing, my ears were killing me and I just couldnt get warm.

For the first time ever I felt a tad sick, it wasnt good.....

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Well woke up early enough but after putting on all the layers, out the door late and missed TT boy and Duggy. I waited at the roundy for 5 mins, no bus so I knew I was VERY late :-)

2c this morning when I pulled up at the gate. In this balmy weather I was expecting the boys at the gate to be out on their lounge chairs with the "Uncle Fester moon reflectors" providing a nice tan :-)

So solo ride in today, lot of layers but warm. Different sunnies on today as the expensive ones didnt block the cool breeze causing much stabbing of eyeballs due to the cold. New Specialized shoes on today, so much nicer than the cheaper Northwaites, right cleat needs minor adjustment as the heel is kicked out too far....

Not sure if its Glorias this afternoon, depends on when i get out the door :-)

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Well I've just sat and read this thread from start to finish and enjoyed every post, makes me want to go ride a bike in Alice.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:29 pm

The Sandman,

some may say he has been in the sun too long :P

Like dude :P

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:41 am

Hi Sweeties

Long time between posts but Sandman still lives....in Alice that is :-)

So reflecting back on the last 6 months, I must say not a lot has really happened. I've participated in the Oct 2010 Masters games, yes i am 47 and fit smack into the middle of the agegroups :-) Cant remember if I posted how it all went.. I gave the TT a miss as I hadnt spent enough time on TT Boys Trek, you really have to get used to riding one of those things before you race or you'll go out too hard and pop. Checking the results afterward for the 40km, think i could have pulled it off but we'll never know ;-) The Road race was good, 80km out to the Glenn Helen turn off from Flynn's Grave, attacked at 15km out and went with anther guy. We stayed out on our own, 700m to go, Max decides he wants to take me... oh dear, 200m out, round I came and took the gold....he's learnt not to go so early anymore :-)

The Critt was good fun, 20mins + 1 lap. The course was excellent as it went around the council chambers and they closed some streets off. We had an attack on the first lap but that didnt last long, someone had another stab but again lacklustre... So by the end of the 2nd lap the Tarmac Pro was twitching for a blast so off it goes, sharp enough attack that no one else got on. Managed to stay away for the race and put some distance in, folks said to me afterwards it was a critt and not a TT :-)

The street sprint was cancelled due to bad weather so the last event was the team Tri. We had the dream team supposedly, Base Commander as the runner, Deputy Base Commander as the swimmer and "The Contractor" as the cyclist. Combined age of around 140 years, like Say What ! There were 16 in our heat, I think our swimmer came out 3rd last, its tough when you see all of the other cyclists leaving and wondering whats going on. Very nasty headwind out for the 10km to the turnoff, lots of energy expensed however that's the portion I managed to reel most back. In the end only 2 were still in front, they just got away too early and the 20km wasnt long enough. We ended up winning our age category and came 3rd overall so not a bad effort. i think I managed 39.999km/hr, just under the magic 40... darn ! Sad part is a 64 year old guy beat me by 40 seconds in the TT... his name is Robert freak from Adelaide and he is known as the "Freak" as he is a seriously good all round athelete :-)

No other racing since then, I've been tapped on the shoulder to participate in the club critts starting next week but I'm not sure if I'll go. The rides to and from work are getting fun, the heat out on Hatt road is up over 40 again in the arvo, mornings at 5:30am have been around 23c so definately lots of fluids needed. Been riding up to the Tropic of Capricorn a bit as at least there is a rise to get up and always a strong headwind ont he way back so 53-12/13 simulates a bit of climbing.

So whats in store this year, think I will go to the Barclay challenge again in Tennant Creek as its inter club so you get to meet new folks. No masters on this year as its every 2nd year in Alice so maybe its time to do some interstate riding.

Bought a little red v8 Dato to go and play in and tinker with, has been fun but I do love riding the Specialized. With all the TDU hype I've been perusing BikeExchange for a new Specialized but the ones I have are just peachy, maybe some new carbon wheels from Chainreaction, who knows :-)

So thats it for now, been facebooking instead of the forums but since NTFS poked me to see if I was still alive, I thought I'd come give a post.....

Long live the BIG RING !

Sandman in Alice

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 pm

The car i was originally looking at was a 280z hardtop with a 350 chev stroked to 383, pulling 11 seconds :-) Unfortunately its not the sort of car you can hop into and drive so I bought this one instead.. 308 VS V8

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Pretty amazing results Sandman, wish I was there racing you. I wouldn't of stood a chance in the road race but your breakaway in the crit would of set my alarm bells ringing.

In the TT, what was your average speed? How did it compare with the winners average speed?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Mike

The field in the road race was reasonably strong and for the distance I couldnt go on my own. When one of the other guys said he'd hae a go in going with me I thought we'd have a chance. We actually beat the 30-44 group, I was in the 45-49. Max the guy riding with me needst to learn tactics and he learnt the hard way but again I've had it done to me :-)

As for the Critt, yeah that was fun, think I took them by surprise.... I didnt think at first I could stay out but once there was a gap, they settled in and thought they could wear me down... dont get me wrong it hurt but was so well worth it :-)

As for the TT results, I'll go find it tonight and post up :-)

Cheers..pete

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 pm

G'Day Pete good to hear from you :)

Are you going down to say hi to Tom Groggin in March ?
FPR Ragamuffin

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:23 pm

He won't be back here for another 6 months chucky :D

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Sandman, you appear to be the source of all information, so let me try you , as my google search only turned up out of date info. (That might be a reflection on my magnificent IT skills).
A family member has just moved to Alice Springs, and we look like visiting in July or August. I am a Masters 7 road rider (60 to 65) and plan to bring a bike with me. Does the local cycling club have many regular road riders over 50, and what events might I expect to find in the July/August period.
If you can give me an up to date link I can look it up myself.
Your advice will be appreciated.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Champion!...did you get to stand on the big red podium :P ?.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:23 am

Don't forget your track bike Master6

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:31 am

mikesbytes wrote:Don't forget your track bike Master6
I would like to find my track bike; sold it to some fella in Townsville in 1990.

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu May 26, 2011 10:22 am

App temp of 1.6 this morning, glad I drove in.....I bought some excellent cold weather gear when I was in London but I still hate riding in the cold :-( Had to put a long sleeve fleece jersey on riding home yesterday and was still cold......ugh going to be a long and cold winter in the Alice

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu May 26, 2011 1:09 pm

master6

Postby master6 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 pm

sandman wrote:App temp of 1.6 this morning, glad I drove in.....I bought some excellent cold weather gear when I was in London but I still hate riding in the cold :-( Had to put a long sleeve fleece jersey on riding home yesterday and was still cold......ugh going to be a long and cold winter in the Alice
Cold! Last time I was there, winter 1997, I started the car in the frosty caravan park at about 8am. It fired briefly, then refused to fire again. The drive from oil pump to distributor had sheered off. Local mechanic suggested oil to cold and thick, placing strain on pump drive.

Hope your legs pump ok sandman

sandman

Sandmans Cycling Blog

Postby sandman » Sat May 28, 2011 10:10 am

Yeah spizz I know I need to HTFU. For the first time ever I couldn't stay on the front too long as I was too cold on my legs and ears. Appears when I was in the UK I should have bought a long pair of winter nicks and some ear warmers. App temp according to BOM on Friday morning was -5.1c, I've never ever been tortured so bad even when we rode Beloka or Tom Grogan.

Got to -2 overnight again, gorgeous day but max of 17 out here. Going to head out to the Tropic of Capricorn again tomorrow afternoon. Next weeks forecast shows 0c for every morning.. Nasty

Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 pm

Rode Monday morning, -4.7c app temp, 37 minutes to the gate, Contador (Gabenator the Spaniard), TT Boy and me..Billy sucked wheel all the way so Gabe and I set the pace..It was so cold, when I got to the gate I couldnt talk, my face was so cold...

Ride home was wicked, nasty winds most of the way but hammered. TT Boy got dropped and Gabe was sucking air like an 1100cfm quad pumper holly ! Awesome ride home.

Was even colder today but didnt ride, not feeling well because of Flu. Suspect I wont be in at work tomorrow, this flu is getting worse :-(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 31, 2011 10:22 pm

TT Boy got dropped....

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:03 am

mikesbytes wrote:TT Boy got dropped....
You bet Mike.....had a coffee with him yesterday and poked him all the way....what made it sweeter was Gabe was with me when it happened, he couldnt even suck his wheel. 12 months ago Gabe couldnt ride over 30km/hr, he hung on when I went through the gap at 50 the other day and he's getting stronger, need to start using some race tactics with this lad as I dont wanna get dropped but I wont tell him that :-) :-)

Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:27 am

Today was the ride from hell. I thought I'd finally come to the decision I cant do this cold weather anymore. The body itself was snug and warm but the headache from the cold air was almost unbearable. I had the bandanna and skull cap on yet I had a headache that came close to making me chuck. Not the first time I've had it but serious enough to making me think I need to stop. pressing on my forehead diverted the pain but nothing I did really helped. I pulled off the right glove and tried to get a feel for how my forehead was covered and I discovered the elastic band of the skull cap was 1/2 way up the forehead. Combine that with the helmet there was a severe pressure band across the forehead. You may say " easy to notice that", well when its -2c its had to discern whats really going on and when you're in pain, hard to make real sense of whats going on !

So an adjustment of the skull cap ie: pull it down so the elastic is across the brow, magically the major part of the pain disappeared instantly. Wow, such a HUGE difference !

While the ride was still cool the last 5km were a total relief ! I can still feel a lingering level of pressure across the forehead but I suspect that will go away after a while.

Have ridden for many years but this is a first for me.....

Sandman

sandman

Sandmans Cycling Blog

Postby sandman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Mental ride home :-) Dropped Gabe on pi$$ hill again, did his head in. Managed to sit on 42 most of the way home. Nice ride

sandman

Sandmans Cycling Blog

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:20 pm

Twas -3c at the front gate this morning, BOM had the apparent temp of -6.1c. It was rather cold !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk