Bringing my bike to Darwin - do I need a helmet?

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

I hate wearing a helmet in Adelaide at the best of times. I get too hot. But I hear that the helmet laws aren't as Draconian in the Territory.

Soo... I'm coming to Darwin on holiday and I want to bring my bike with me on the plane. Will the police care if I ride in Darwin with no helmet on?

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

trickle

Re: Bringing my bike to Darwin - do I need a helmet?

Postby trickle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:11 pm

dont bother,they serve no purpose.

hosko

Postby hosko » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 pm

http://www.nt.gov.au/transport/ntroads/ ... Safety.pdf

I think this should answer your question better than the last poster.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

trickle

Postby trickle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:56 am

hosko wrote:http://www.nt.gov.au/transport/ntroads/ ... Safety.pdf

Geez chill out :mrgreen:

What I should have done was use an emoticon and [mod says - personal attack removed].

Whats more, if your excuse for not wanting to wear a helmet is that you get too hot... take up chess.

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 am

trickle wrote:

What I should have done was use an emoticon and linked to the mango riding zealot and his one sided opinions on the matter.

Whats more, if your excuse for not wanting to wear a helmet is that you get too hot... take up chess.
Haha :) funnily enough I play chess competitively!!

I can see I've opened a can of worms - I'm not really interested in the debate about whether we should have to wear a helmet, or whether they make a difference to safety, I just want to know if the police in Darwin are going to stop me and tell me off for riding without one on :)

Please?

arkle

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:17 am

Thank you hosko, but the confusing thing is that I was in Darwin last weekend visiting a friend and none of the cyclists I saw (on the road) had helmets on.

arkle

trickle

Postby trickle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:21 am

What league do you play in?

I'm in the Arathor battle league, we play full contact with edged weapons. Helmets are mandatory.

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 am

Well... I did bring my helmet with me and I did wear it on a 75km loop of the Darwin area yesterday. I saw lots of other cyclists and not one of them was wearing a helmet!

Very confusing :?

arkle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Depends on whether you want to win the Darwin Award or not. :? :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

While I'm anti helmet compulsion, for anything more than a trip to the local shops I reckon you're not being real clever leaving your noggin unprotected. As as for being too hot wearing one in Adelaide at the moment, I struggle to see how when I'm buying a cap to keep my head warmer because it's so cold.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Old thread I know, but I'm bored and found it and thought I'd clear it up.

It is illegal to ride on the road without a helmet in the NT, but it is legal to ride without a helmet if you stick to the footpath/shared path. In practice, no one gets pulled up for not wearing a helmet so a lot of people don't.

Still, I'd wear one. I'd also avoid the footpath.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:19 pm

trickle wrote:

What I should have done was use an emoticon and linked to the mango riding zealot and his one sided opinions on the matter.
Sorry Trickle - I too missed the facetiousness in your original post..
trickle wrote:Whats more, if your excuse for not wanting to wear a helmet is that you get too hot... take up chess.
Spot on.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:51 am

yer i have to wonder with helmets these days having so many vents its not bad heat wise

i think if you are worried about heat and sweating you should be in air conditioned car instead

i always wear my helmet has saved me a few time esp when have hit pot hole and me flying over handle bars head first towards the ground

i suppose depends really if i see someone who has fallen off bike with head injuries but cant help but laugh and think wear a helmet you idiot

i suppose you right not to wear one but don't expect much sympathy from me if hurt you re head when you crash

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Regardless of helmet or not, when riding places with full sunlight it can be bad, even fatal, to leave the back of the head uprotected from too much heat. Wear some form of back-of-the-head shade to reduce the sun. A simple layer of damp cloth can also act as a cooling radiator. All to protect the hyporthalmus from overheating - a VERY SERIOUS situation if it occurs.

Those silly hats with back-curtain that primary school uniforms sometimes have are not so silly after all.

Gabon

Postby Gabon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am

howdy folks - not into helmet debating but just a little story - got cleaned up by a reversing car mid december near hospital ( if you have to have an accident that is a good location) - helmet is the reason i am still here (ie roads and car were pretty hard) - bit of damage to the noggin but nothing fell out so thats good - wont be able to break any distance records this year :(

arkle

Postby arkle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:14 pm

I didn't really want this to turn into a helmet debate, I was just asking about the law in Darwin.

I come from England where wearing a helmet is optional, but I can appreciate that riding on roads busy with motorised vehicles, like cars and trucks, is slightly safer if your noggin is protected.

Having said that, Darwin is one of the quietest cities in the world, and there are bike paths everywhere, and it's extremely hot and humid, so common sense dictates that helmet wearing should be optional. In Sydney CBD no for sure, but in Darwin? Clearly the NT government thinks the same way, since it's the only state in Australia that doesn't have a mandatory helmet law for adult riders.

And what's this guff about wearing a helmet or hiding inside an air-conditioned car? Grow up. Why should cycling automatically incorporate unnecessary discomfort in a tropical climate. There's always some wowser trying to tell you how to live your life.

arkle

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:29 pm

i suppose its really up to you if you wear a helmet or not

i personally wear a helmet in this weather rather have it protected. im going to sweat whether i wear a helmet or not

hosko

Postby hosko » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:33 am

Last weekend one of our riders had his life saved wearing his helmet on the weekend group ride. Was serious enough incident that he lost half an ear.

Helmet was toast but it took the impact, not his head. Had he not been wearing one, damage may have been fatal.

Pretty simple choice really.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 pm

arkle wrote:There's always some wowser trying to tell you how to live your life.

arkle
I love it when people use that wowser word. You know you've got them - they've got no real leg to stand on in either logic or evidence to support their position and have to resort to throwing epithets. Same as in the gambling debate :lol:

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:38 pm

trailgumby wrote:
arkle wrote:There's always some wowser trying to tell you how to live your life.

arkle
I love it when people use that wowser word. You know you've got them - they've got no real leg to stand on in either logic or evidence to support their position and have to resort to throwing epithets. Same as in the gambling debate :lol:
Heh heh that's the first time I've used the word "wowser" in my whole life! :) To be honest I'm not even sure what it means - I've seen other people using it and I assumed it meant someone who exaggerates or over-dramatises something for the sake of it; or someone who tries to stop other people having fun in their own way. I could be wrong :?

arkle

Capsyze

Postby Capsyze » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:05 pm

arkle wrote:
And what's this guff about wearing a helmet or hiding inside an air-conditioned car? Grow up. Why should cycling automatically incorporate unnecessary discomfort in a tropical climate. There's always some wowser trying to tell you how to live your life.

arkle

Indeed, there's always a kill-joy who wants to force their laws down the throats of everyone... Like "stopping at red lights"... Bah... "A Metre Matters"... Pffftttt....

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:22 pm

arkle wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

arkle
Heh heh that's the first time I've used the word "wowser" in my whole life! :) To be honest I'm not even sure what it means - I've seen other people using it and I assumed it meant someone who exaggerates or over-dramatises something for the sake of it; or someone who tries to stop other people having fun in their own way. I could be wrong :?

arkle
No, you pretty much got it right. :mrgreen:

It's usually used by those with a self-destructive bent, or more particularly those with a vested interest in exploiting those with a self destructuve bent, to characterise those trying to limit the societal damage as "fun police". To wit, against those trying to limit the plainly visible destruction caused by unrestricted access to alcohol, tobacco and gambling activity.

We seem to like smashing ourselves with vices and think it a virtue - our convict heritage :roll:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:13 pm

trailgumby wrote:

arkle
I'd put nanny state in the same class. Relatives of Godmin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)

Capsyze

Postby Capsyze » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

arkle
I'd put nanny state in the same class. Relatives of Godmin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)
Actually, you've invoked Godwin's Law incorrectly.. Here, let me do it properly...

Wearing a helmet is a pointless excercise, forcing a class of citizen to wear something that cost money yet does nothing...

What next? It's like forcing the Jews to wear the Star of David..

There. Godwin's has been invoked.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:33 pm

arkle wrote: since it's the only state in Australia that doesn't have a mandatory helmet law for adult riders.
arkle
OK, i'm confused, i thought helmets were compulsory in every state. And the link lists under 'traffic infringements', 'riding without helmet securely fastened'. So are helmets mandatory in the territory or not?

And just as an aside, the link also lists 'riding bicycle incorrectly' as an infringement, what the heck does that mean? 'Dangerous' or 'Reckless' riding i could understand but 'incorrect'?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:33 pm

We
Only
Want
Social
Evils
Remedied
Acronym for the slogan of the temperance movement in early 20th century Australia.
Nowadays used as a descriptive for anyone who doesn't mind people enjoying themselves as long as it is by the (usually restrictive to the point of why bother) rules set by said wowser.

As Gumby observed, also used as a pejorative by groups who profit from the human misery caused by the fools who take their enjoyment to excess.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011