Where in Darwin to live

rockviewau

Where in Darwin to live

Postby rockviewau » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Hey all,

The mrs and I are probs moving up to Darwin soon. What are some good places to live. There is the 2 of us and our dog, so units in the city are pretty much out.
I will be bringing the roadie up :) Im reading there are some decent paths and roads.... looking forward to it :)
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

pugnacious

Re: Where in Darwin to live

Postby pugnacious » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi rock,

Darwin is different.

Some okay paths to ride on; but not extensive and the ones along the beach have a 20 km/hr limit and heavy pedestrian traffic. Drivers up here give no thought to cyclists at all. There ain't no hills worthy of the name. Very, very limited choice of roads to ride on actually; There really is only one road in and out of Darwin - the Stuart Highway. So it gets hard to come up with some interesting circuits. Need to head out to Lichtfield Park for some hills (about hour or so drive).

Now for the good stuff; excellent riding weather during the dry. Pretty good road club that has weekly rides during the dry (Hidden Valley race track or go-cart track or velodrome).

Darwin id a great place; but I've lived in many better riding towns that have plenty of variety.

As for somewhere to live; near the coast is nice. But Darwin is very expensive for what you get.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:33 pm

thanks Pug,

We have accepted the offer to move and are going to come up to Darwin.

Since i couldnt really care about the crocs, cause if one gets me im gone, what is the magpie situation like??? They are what im scared of!!
Lucas Hayden

Gabon

Postby Gabon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 pm

hey no magpies in Darwin but damn it there are enough collingwood supporters :lol: :x

pugnacious

Postby pugnacious » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:37 pm

rock,

what sort of work are you coming up for? Energy?

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:53 pm

i am hoping to do teaching, as it pays the bills.....

my mrs (the reason we are moving) is coming up to do project management in construction. pretty cool stuff she gets to do, and apparently a bit of work up there to do :)

i wouldnt mind a change though!!
Lucas Hayden

pugnacious

Postby pugnacious » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:28 pm

build up is starting; humidity is rising. But Darwin is a great place. Well, I should say that if you like it, you will love it. But if you don't like it; you will loath it.

You might wanna check out the Darwin Cycling club site http://www.darwin.cycling.org.au/

Every Satdee morning two groups leave from Nightcliff swimming pool - the fast ones at 6 am, and the slow ones at 6:30 am