Photos from the Old Grafton Road

Matt Zac

Photos from the Old Grafton Road

Postby Matt Zac » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:37 am

A few weeks back I posted a few questions about completing my first 'tour' - 140km cycling the old road between Glen Innes and Grafton.

I fronted the visitor centre at GI the day before, and was handed a very vintage map of the road, as well as the welcome news that a new camp site had been established at Dalmorton - precisely half way along the road and a relief as I no longer had to find a cave in which to dwell....

Wifey took some farewell pics, and called me mad for taking on the adventure

Couldn't resist this photo op on the decent to Mann River - I guess 'HTFU creek' just wouldn't have the same ring to it

Once the valley had been cleared, the wide open spaces began. Truly breathtaking, and so quiet... I popped a new tube of suncream at one stop and it cracked like a bullwhip

There's not much motoring traffic along the road, but bovine traffic is fairly common. They don't mind cars, but have a certain distate for cyclists, whom they try desperately to outrun! the more you ride, the more they run... I'm certain there were a few late home for milking that day

Just out of Newton Boyd is the WW1 memorial, a tragic story as none of those who left ever returned, leaving the women and children with no option but to desert the town.

Just out of Dalmorton is a rock carbed tunnel, reportedly hewn by convict labour

Ancient graffiti adorns the tunnel roof...

At 69 km and just short of the campsite, I ran over a rock and logged the first puncture of the day

Check out the views from my accomodation! $20 tent, $5 site fee, priceless :D

Day 2 and the gravel road was starting to become a little tiresome... I thought some sort of mirage had appeared when in the distance... Bitumen!!!

Crossing the low level Buccarumbi bridge, the remains of the former bridge destroyed by flood can still be seen

As can this magnificent scenery...

Another irresistible photo op... glad I didn't have to cross this paddock :shock:

Some of the architecture along the Grafton end

And the fabled 'pipe and smoke it' photo, taken just out of Grafton with only a cycleway to go!

In review, I had a great time - very relaxing and great to see so much fantastic scenery. I'd like to have had some front panniers to more evenly distribute the load, and a more accurate map to plan water stops... but I think I did OK considering I only had less than a week to get everything together. 70km a day might not sound like much to some, but when you've got 2 days, why not take them?

I thoroughly recommend this ride to anyone wanting a short getaway or a 'first tour' as I did!
No, honey, I've had that one for ages...

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks for posting your experience. Looks like a nice short tour in quiet landscapes. Interesting map, looks homegrown and better than some publications I've seen here. How did you get home?

Here is a shot I took of a tour I rode in Austria (Hintergebirge), the tunnels are hand made for 19th century railroad no longer existing and now a bicycle route.

Matt Zac

Postby Matt Zac » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:23 am

The map appears to be of 1960's NRMA vintage. Luckily I am the owner of a similarly aged Holden and am fluent in mileish...

My wife was visiting family in Lismore at the same time, granting me the drop off at Glen Innes - after the ride I chilled out under the railway bridge at Maccas before taking the train to C a s i n o where she awaited :D

This was a little more complex than imagined, as you have to book ahead when carrying a bike, after which it must dismantled and boxed for the duration of the trip. Somehow I managed to convince the randonneur that it could fit into a box meant for a 24" girls bike, and away we went.

If you'd have asked any time before I'd have said "i'll just ride up to the station, wheel my bike onto the train, sit down, and open a book..."

Nice pics from Austria too... think I might have solved the Long service leave 2010 question :wink:

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:11 am

Great trip and photos Matt. 70km per day sounds like plenty to me, December last year I rode from Buchan to Jindabyne (well almost to Jindabyne - knees gave out :cry: ) That was 80km per day but the hills!

P.S Poll Hereford cattle are meat cattle, not milkers :wink:
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Matt Zac

Postby Matt Zac » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:54 am

I had some knee trouble too - suspect the LH SPD cleat isn't set properly. The first 10km on day 2 were agony, but I had little option but to keep at it.
lemmiwinks wrote: P.S Poll Hereford cattle are meat cattle, not milkers :wink:
You'd think that being married to a farmer's daughter I'd have passed the "catch a cow and milk it' phase long ago :D

Well then, I guess they were late to a BBQ, or a saturday roast... whatever pleases most :wink:

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:08 pm

Matt Zac wrote:I had some knee trouble too - suspect the LH SPD cleat isn't set properly. The first 10km on day 2 were agony, but I had little option but to keep at it.
Mine are well dodgy but a trip to the physio, some orthodics for my shoes and things are certainly looking up. Part of the trouble was the long grinding climbs we had to contend with, especially on day 2 (check out the elevation)

Day 1: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 1007524990
Day 2: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... /166448340

Matt Zac wrote:You'd think that being married to a farmer's daughter I'd have passed the "catch a cow and milk it' phase long ago :D
After I finished high school I worked on a farm for a while, never could decide which were dumber, sheep or cattle. At least with sheep you can grab them and put them where you want, cattle you have to give a whack on the arse with a bit of black poly pipe if they don't take the hint :)
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:22 pm

lemmiwinks wrote: Mine are well dodgy but a trip to the physio, some orthodics for my shoes and things are certainly looking up. Part of the trouble was the long grinding climbs we had to contend with, especially on day 2 (check out the elevation)

Day 1: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 1007524990
Day 2: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... /166448340
Can't see too well in Google Earth, how many meters did you climb and descend?

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:44 pm

ajh_ausnzcf wrote:Can't see too well in Google Earth, how many meters did you climb and descend?
According to mapmyride (which I think just uses google), day 1: ascent 1377m, descent -1070m. Day 2: ascent 1646m, descent -1123m. Day 2 was the killer, we climbed from the Snowy River up and out of the National Park and it was about 13km unrelenting climb. My knees held out to the bitumen (with plenty of stops for dencorub) but packed up completely about 16km out of Jindabyne.

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:58 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:
ajh_ausnzcf wrote:Can't see too well in Google Earth, how many meters did you climb and descend?
According to mapmyride (which I think just uses google), day 1: ascent 1377m, descent -1070m. Day 2: ascent 1646m, descent -1123m. Day 2 was the killer, we climbed from the Snowy River up and out of the National Park and it was about 13km unrelenting climb. My knees held out to the bitumen (with plenty of stops for dencorub) but packed up completely about 16km out of Jindabyne.
That is some serious climbing, tour de endurance. I don't think there are any hills around Perth with that sort of pleasure on offer.

stubbie

Postby stubbie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:54 am

Of course real men ride from Grafton to Glen Innes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gravity will never let you down.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:48 am

This looks like a really good ride Matt.
I am hoping to do part of it soon.
Recently i was visiting the Yamba/Maclean area as you do in summer :D
Near Maclean on the Pacific Highway there is a tourist information and cafe and art gallery at the "old ferry" :idea:
They have various maps of the Clarence river area which are quite detailed and more modern than the antiquated NRMA map you did acquire in Glen Innes.
Anyway it is probably not that important to have an "up to date" map but i thought i would mention that good maps and other relevant literature can be picked up free of charge at this tourist info place. 8)
By the way your photos are terrific. :!:
Regards, elantra

pawnii

Re: Photos from the Old Grafton Road

Postby pawnii » Sun May 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Fantastic! :D

Love the lightweight minimal setup.

Excellent pics. I always seem to forget to take pics when i tour :?
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

juddo

Re: Photos from the Old Grafton Road

Postby juddo » Mon May 31, 2010 7:50 pm

Looks like an awesome ride Matt, well done on your efforts. I'm thinking of riding it now :D
2014 Muru Witjira
2013 Cargo Bakfiets
2012 Salsa Vaya
2011 BMC Sl01